Think the CEOs are toast for Carnival/HAL and others?

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

While I have great respect for the CDC

My first job out of school was at CDC (at the time Communicable Disease Center) and I've always considered it was above the fray. I'm pretty heartbroken (not exaggerating) in feeling like they've bowed to pressure. We'll see how it turns out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rattanchair said:

That could be true. But were these "other jurisdictions" notified that repatriated crew from the cruise line are headed their way?  Am I mistaken that when they got home they are to self quarantine for 14 more days as a precaution? The honor system just does not work, 

Based on our recent experience, other jurisdictions en-route were notified, hence the reason the 8 Canadians on our ship were not permitted to land in the US. When we eventually disembarked we also stayed overnight in a closed LHR hotel that required Govt approval to book. So the UK Govt was aware of our situation.

Quarantine at home is entirely at the discretion of the crew's National Govt. In British Columbia self-quarantine has proven very effective based on our latest virus numbers and the response to random phone calls to verify compliance. During our 14-day self-quarantine, we received a number of calls.

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2020 at 12:05 AM, Heidi13 said:

other jurisdictions en-route were notified, hence the reason the 8 Canadians on our ship were not permitted to land in the US. When we eventually disembarked we also stayed overnight in a closed LHR hotel that required Govt approval to book. So the UK Govt was aware of our situation.

Of course, the UK Gov't would be aware and notified. You all were on a chartered, non commercial, regulated, monitored CDC approved transfer. Now what happened to all that left that flight, did they all self quarantine for another 14 days or as is being reported go to airports and take commercial flights and connections? Were these connecting flights warned?  Were these jurisdictions apprised? How would the check-in airport personnel even know these passengers were CDC restricted, unless the crew member in passing opened up a 'can of worms' for themselves. And who would intentionally make life more difficult for themselves after  the months trying to get off a ship. They would naturally keep their mouths shut and hope to slip by 'unnoticed'.  Do you know of any passenger, not including Polyanna, who when asked at any  port of embarkation, "Are you sick?" that would answer in the affirmative.

All these actions will probably contribute to the forthcoming 'second wave'.

13 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

You all were on a chartered, non commercial, regulated, monitored CDC approved transfer.

Uh, no where close.  They disembarked in Gibraltar (not part of the US), flew BA (British Airways) and Air Canada via Heathrow (also not part of the US), to Canada (also not part of the US as much as some think so).  So, the CDC had no jurisdiction, nor any control over Andy or the other passengers, except to prohibit them from connecting via a US airport.

13 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

How would the check-in airport personnel even know these passengers were CDC restricted,

They wouldn't, and their national public health agencies didn't require any "restricted" status.  You seem to believe the CDC has jurisdiction over cruise ships everywhere in the world.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  From the CDC "no sail order" directly (bold highlight is mine):

"All commercial, non-cargo,[2] passenger-carrying vessels operating in international, interstate, or intrastate waterways and subject to the jurisdiction of the United States with the capacity to carry 250 [3] or more individuals (passengers and crew) with an itinerary anticipating an overnight stay onboard or a twenty-four (24) hour stay onboard for either passengers or crew.[4]"

A cruise ship outside the territorial waters of the US are not "subject to jurisdiction of the United States".

No one asks when you check in for a flight whether you have been sick or not, and from what I saw on domestic flights in the US, airlines do not follow their own guidelines for social distancing if the demand for the flight is great enough to sell out all seats, and no effort is made to enforce their "requirement" that face coverings "must" be worn while on the plane.  Saw several young men for the entire flight who made no effort to cover up.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 5