is Wind Spriri still in Asia to resume Tahiti cruises?

susiesan

Does anyone know if Windstar kept the Wind Spirit in Asia so as to quickly resume Tahiti cruises when French Polynesia allows tourism to resume? I am scheduled for the Jan. 14, 2021 sailing. I have airline tickets to PPT, a hotel reserved for 2 nights before the cruise, and a $100 deposit on the cruise. Final payment is due Oct. 12. I am ready to go as soon as Windstar announces that they will be sailing in this part of the world again.

Yes, as of today she is off the coast of Singapore bound for Jakarta, so I think its safe to say she will resume her Tahiti cruises when they lift the restrictions.  Only time will tell.

At the moment, Tahiti/FP is not allowing anyone to enter the country. Since 85% of French Polynesia's economy relies on tourism I would think they cannot stay isolated for too long.

On 5/3/2020 at 2:14 PM, Bigdogwon said:

Yes, as of today she is off the coast of Singapore bound for Jakarta, so I think its safe to say she will resume her Tahiti cruises when they lift the restrictions.  Only time will tell.

Considering the very high number of crew from that area, I'm wondering if they are dropping crew members along the way.  

They are as much effraid of Covid than you and I. They don't want people from overseas for the time being. One of their military surveillance plane carried an infected crew this week and they are not happy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 6:54 AM, dandee2 said:

They are as much effraid of Covid than you and I. They don't want people from overseas for the time being. One of their military surveillance plane carried an infected crew this week and they are not happy.

Dandee,

Know that French Polynesia is hyper-vigilant about keeping COVID cases to a minimum as are other So Pacific Island governments. But......I booked a cruise a 17 day Wind Spirit cruise for May 2021 today, a cruise I did in Nov 2018. I know you are a Quebecer and there's not the problem in CA as the USA. Also know you have no crystal ball but you know more about the current French Polynesian mindset about allowing cruise ships. Can you foresee that with a possible vaccine and a decrease in numbers of COVID cases in the USA, that Fr. Polynesia will accept small ships? Unfortunately it'll probably be a h*** of a winter for COVID here 😞

36 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Dandee,

Know that French Polynesia is hyper-vigilant about keeping COVID cases to a minimum as are other So Pacific Island governments. But......I booked a cruise a 17 day Wind Spirit cruise for May 2021 today, a cruise I did in Nov 2018. I know you are a Quebecer and there's not the problem in CA as the USA. Also know you have no crystal ball but you know more about the current French Polynesian mindset about allowing cruise ships. Can you foresee that with a possible vaccine and a decrease in numbers of COVID cases in the USA, that Fr. Polynesia will accept small ships? Unfortunately it'll probably be a h*** of a winter for COVID here 😞

Hi there. I have no crystal ball but know people who moved temporarly from papeete to bora bora just to make sure. They are OK there. Polynesia will start flying within the island only. French Bee is flying supplies only at this time. They are still trying to get FP nationals back home from either europe, Canada, US amongst other.

They have cancelled the July 2020 Heiva but still no word about the HAWAIKI NUI 2020 in October. So far They had 60 cases but only one still hospitalized.

I personnaly think that May 2021 should be OK if they test people. It is much easier to control people on land than on the ship.

There is still a lot of control in Québec (3400 death / pop. 8M) but most fatalities are concentrated in Senior Residence. Working from home for the foreseable future. I was going to retire this year but I will hang on just in case.

Will let you know if I hear anything related to tourism (They are hurting badly).

Cheers

https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/polynesie/aucun-nouveau-cas-832886.html

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dandee2 said:

Will let you know if I hear anything related to tourism (They are hurting badly).

Cheers

https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/polynesie/aucun-nouveau-cas-832886.html

Thanks for all the info Dandee. Please contact me at petuniafish at gmail dot com if you do hear something pertinent.

Glad to hear that while not wonderful news about death rate in Quebec it is still better than New York anyway. I live in a very rural state, Oregon, and only 150 hundred deaths, just 7 cases in the county where I live. But stay-at-home is still in place regardless. It's good to hear that you are also stay at home and maybe putting off retirement for a bit.

Yes, can only imagine how difficult it must be for islanders. And no money anywhere. I hope so much that we can return.

Thanks again.