Alaska and the Inside Passage

Dukefan

Viking is showing all cruises to Alaska ans the Inside Passage for 2020 "Sold Out".      The last time this happened they canceled to cruises.   Does anyone know what's happening?

• Like 1

They did this at the same time they canceled the earlier cruises, when Canada closed the border.  I have seen them do this before.  It means, I assume, they didn’t want anyone else booking those cruises because they may not go.  We are on the Aug. 14 cruise, and I check from time to time because I was hoping for a cabin upgrade.  The week before the sold out signs went up our cruise was only about half full.  But perhaps others know for sure.  I haven’t checked with Viking.  But last week, Viking said they were cautiously optimistic about the remaining Alaska cruises.  And the Orion is still in SE Asia.

• Like 1

Since departing Singapore she appears to be slow steaming just north of Borneo.

From Singapore, it is 16 to 20 days to Vancouver, based on speed (18.5 kts to 15 kts). Seward is about 1,000 miles closer, so 2 days less steaming. So if Alaska cruises are a go, it will take at least 2 weeks to get the ship to BC/Alaska, then they also have stores, crew, etc.

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Possible but not probable.  

Jim - my thoughts as well. Best guess for Orion is Vancouver to Tokyo at end of August or even Tokyo in Sept. If they had some BC Coastals before departing this area, we might be interested.😀

While we are trending well locally with the virus, ports are a Federal, not local decision, so it is anyone's guess if Metro Port Vancouver will reopen to cruise ships July 1st.    

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

Canada has extended its ban (ships with more than 100 passengers) on ports and waters until October 31, 2020.  No Alaska cruises that use Canadian ports or waters for this year.  The last Alaska cruise last year left Vancouver on November 1.

Joel Barry

9 minutes ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

Canada has extended its ban (ships with more than 100 passengers) on ports and waters until October 31, 2020.  No Alaska cruises that use Canadian ports or waters for this year.  The last Alaska cruise last year left Vancouver on November 1.

Joel Barry

That leaves out all of the foreign flag cruise lines which pretty much means everyone except local. Bad for tourism but good for the environment. Ports like Skagway basically don't exist without the big ships.