What do you miss most about not cruising ?

I cruise mainly on RCI ships and I miss the delicious pizza on the ships.I also miss the ports.It makes no difference if I have been to a port 10 times I always try to get off the ship and walk around.I miss the opportunity to meet people from all over the world and the ability to make new friends.I miss interacting with crew members and at times with guest talent.

I miss the opportunity to write CC reviews and to discuss cruises on the CC boards.

What do you miss ?

• Like 1

I really like having everything in one place , pools, great entertainment, specialty restaurants, bars , we now stay on ship for many many ports , will always get off when we have not been there before but after about 70 cruises that is rare. My next cruise has really good pizza since it is a itilian line , I love rccl I am diamond plus, but there pizza is pretty bad. We also do music charters and it’s fun talking to artists like Rita Coolidge, America B J Thomas  Steven Bishop etc . 

• Like 2

Sigh...we miss meeting and making friends at trivia, the great service from the crew, and slowly sailing to different ports.  And yes, having our meals ready for us....no prepping, no cooking, and no cleaning.

• Like 4

I miss the excitement of pulling into a new port (or an old favorite) and busy port days going hither and yon, discovering new sites, learning new things.

On board I miss sitting on a covered promenade deck in the shade on a lounger with my Kindle or a book, watching the ocean go by. And being rocked to sleep at night by the motion.

I miss conversations with like-minded travelers and, on certain lines, interesting lectures about the history of the places we are visiting.

I miss sitting up on an open deck, high on the ship, watching the sun set with a cocktail or glass of wine in hand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I cruise mainly on RCI ships and I miss the delicious pizza on the ships.I also miss the ports.It makes no difference if I have been to a port 10 times I always try to get off the ship and walk around.I miss the opportunity to meet people from all over the world and the ability to make new friends.I miss interacting with crew members and at times with guest talent.

I miss the opportunity to write CC reviews and to discuss cruises on the CC boards.

What do you miss ?

The vacation... whether by cruise or any other from skiing to a tropical beach..its the personal extra time on vacation with family.  The kids are 26, 24 and 19 now the cruise were we really could get them for lots of good old family time, no internet and with us for really almost the whole day, special special.. hey wait a minute.. I've been on what seems like a cruise now for 7 weeks!  

I've actually had my three kids home for three meals a day and 7 weekends of games/movies together.  Beyond us having to do rotating chores for shopping, cleaning and other things almost better than cruising as we have far bigger grand suite then on any ship and we got our cats and dog LOL.

Sadly coming to an end like any cruise, vacation... my oldest flew back as he needs to find an apt. and is looking to possibly go back to work soon...   

It's been a staycation almost as good as a cruise!

Edited by chipmaster

I miss having nothing to look forward to. 😩  Having a cruise to look forward to is what helps get me thru the bad days at work.

• Like 6

To answer the question as posted:  I do not miss a single thing about “not cruising” — because I’m getting plenty of “not cruising” right now.

I do, however, miss several  things about cruising:  being at sea, feeling the motion, smelling the sea, seeing a wide horizon, pulling into a port I want to visit, having a comfortable return trip from a visit in Europe — the list goes on.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

I miss everything. I miss trivia. I miss dinners. I miss meeting other people from all over. I miss the ports, and especially exploring them with DW. I miss the walks around the deck outside. I'm sure I left something out.

DW just a few minutes ago said how boring everything is now with every day the same; so we especially miss every day being different with different ports and different activities.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Just getting out and seeing/doing stuff.

We're finally retired, and we travel (cruises and RV travel).  Last trip was end of Feb.  Have had 4 trips canceled already.  Not holding out much hope for upcoming 3 month RV trip to Canadian eastern provinces.  

I drove from SF Bay Area to Los Angeles on Friday.  I think I saw a total of 3 RVs on I-5.  Very unusual.   

In no particular order:

• Munching on a Guy's burger and seasoned fries and watching the sun set over the ocean
  • Reading a book (and another, and another, and another) in relative isolation
  • Hearing about cruise stories from fellow travelers (sometimes)
  • Playing trivia and sometimes winning
  • Hanging out in the crowd for the morning show
  • Horse races!
  • Departing ports, especially at night
  • Arriving at ports, especially when I have big plans
  • The shows, sometimes
  • Hearing one of my favorite songs randomly
  • The Captain's noon updates
  • Seeing that line on the screen move ever closer to our destination

Some of these experiences will survive intact when I'm ready to go cruising again, some will be modified, and some might be pitched.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

In no particular order:

• Munching on a Guy's burger and seasoned fries and watching the sun set over the ocean
  • Reading a book (and another, and another, and another) in relative isolation
  • Hearing about cruise stories from fellow travelers (sometimes)
  • Playing trivia and sometimes winning
  • Hanging out in the crowd for the morning show
  • Horse races!
  • Departing ports, especially at night
  • Arriving at ports, especially when I have big plans
  • The shows, sometimes
  • Hearing one of my favorite songs randomly
  • The Captain's noon updates
  • Seeing that line on the screen move ever closer to our destination

Some of these experiences will survive intact when I'm ready to go cruising again, some will be modified, and some might be pitched.

If (and I certainly hope it does return) cruising returns we are able to enjoy the things that we love the most about it. 1) The hard working , wonderful crews 2)Not having to clean and make the bed 3)Knowing that there are several places onboard you can get all three meals and snacks, the wonderful confusion of wondering WHERE to go for each meal 4) The knowledge that you can do something OR nothing but chill every day of the cruise 5)Never have to be "anywhere" at any certain time so there's no need for setting an alarm clock 6)Enjoy the majesty and thrill of just seeing the ship as you board 7) As you're standing on deckyou feel the ship move and as she gathers speed you move out on the glass smooth, bright blue water 😎Standing on the balcony, shortly afer sunrise and feeling the thrill as you try to take in the vastness of the ocean.

Mac

53 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

20 hours ago, Roz said:

I miss having nothing to look forward to. 😩  Having a cruise to look forward to is what helps get me thru the bad days at work.

That hits the nail on the head, not just cruising but travel in general. I was lucky I got a trip in before the borders closed so I am not yet missing travel but I miss knowing that I have a trip to look forward to. I have plans but they are all general outlines of what I could do depending on the circumstances. I miss the ability to plan things out in concrete details😭.

• Like 4

Short Answer: The variety of the vacation

Long Answer:

- A night (or three) in the port's downtown

- That feeling of when you first get on

- The sail away party

- Relaxing in the sun

- Food everywhere

- Comedy shows

- Drinks

- Ports (love that the OP said even if they've been there a bunch of times. I agree!)

And on and on.

• Like 2

I think Roz nail it

""I miss having nothing to look forward to.""

Being retied love being able to go somewhere....anytime

Part of the whole thing it you have something planned for the future

We have two cruises booked for late in the year a B2B and a 13 nighter

But I don't give them much hope to go ahead......   

but as others have said... can't go anywhere....

So it is back to looking at all the travel photos on the walls at home .

Cheers Don

12 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

That hits the nail on the head, not just cruising but travel in general. I was lucky I got a trip in before the borders closed so I am not yet missing travel but I miss knowing that I have a trip to look forward to. I have plans but they are all general outlines of what I could do depending on the circumstances. I miss the ability to plan things out in concrete details😭.

I have a sense of missing not having future travel plans... this will be the first time since l982, I have not had 1-3 trips planned.  I am 73, my dh is 88... so we have had a lot of good times.  We have already gotten to the point, we don't look forward to flying but did have a flight from San Francisco to Tel Aviv booked for May 12, that was cancelled.  we have rebook for Sept 1, still don't know if it will be a go or not.  We have a future Princess booking for Feb 2021; not sure we will do that either given all the changes even though we are in good health.  We did a similar cruise with family, this past Feb, had one family member died inMarch, which has changed things too... so my Dh and I are looking at each other and saying maybe our travel days are over... we have had a good run and we are grateful... but future uncertain at this point.  So yes, I miss not having plans.  

6 minutes ago, pris993 said:

so my Dh and I are looking at each other and saying maybe our travel days are over... we have had a good run and we are grateful... but future uncertain at this point.  So yes, I miss not having plans.  

I think that's profound and very wise. Best of luck always.

• Like 2

What I miss the most is sitting gout on a balcony on a sea day and just looking at the horizon and listening to the peace and quiet of nothing more than the minimal sound of the ship moving through the water.

• Like 1

^ this. I work in the correctional industry and it is very rewarding to sit and not hear a phone ring, alarm bell go off , radio traffic, and to look out into the great beyond without seeing no teeth and tattoos. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, pris993 said:

I have a sense of missing not having future travel plans... this will be the first time since l982, I have not had 1-3 trips planned.  I am 73, my dh is 88... so we have had a lot of good times.  We have already gotten to the point, we don't look forward to flying but did have a flight from San Francisco to Tel Aviv booked for May 12, that was cancelled.  we have rebook for Sept 1, still don't know if it will be a go or not.  We have a future Princess booking for Feb 2021; not sure we will do that either given all the changes even though we are in good health.  We did a similar cruise with family, this past Feb, had one family member died inMarch, which has changed things too... so my Dh and I are looking at each other and saying maybe our travel days are over... we have had a good run and we are grateful... but future uncertain at this point.  So yes, I miss not having plans.  

We have friends that usually book 6 cruises a year.She is 73 and he will soon be 90.They are both in excellent health,however,they have decided that they may have taken their last cruise.

Re flying to Tel Aviv,my only regret in life is never have gone to Israel.It is totally out of the question for me due to disabilities.

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have friends that usually book 6 cruises a year.She is 73 and he will soon be 90.They are both in excellent health,however,they have decided that they may have taken their last cruise.

Re flying to Tel Aviv,my only regret in life is never have gone to Israel.It is totally out of the question for me due to disabilities.

I have been blessed to have traveled to Israel independently and by ship at least 12 times in last 30 years.. have family there, my dh lived in Israel near Haifa before immigrating to the USA.  Wonderful country.   While traveling there is an amazing experience, I thought I might suggest you check out youtube videos ... you can get some sense of travel there from others' experiences.  Recently I found a TV station on my local AT&T cable, I24 is the state title, it is on AT&T channel 223 on my cable... has a lot of news, some cooking shows, some historical and biblical programs that are very interesting.  I found it interesting and a nice escape from local virus and political news in the usa today.   If you can check out you might enjoy.   Station comes from Tel Aviv. 

• Like 1

Just now, pris993 said:

I have been blessed to have traveled to Israel independently and by ship at least 12 times in last 30 years.. have family there, my dh lived in Israel near Haifa before immigrating to the USA.  Wonderful country.   While traveling there is an amazing experience, I thought I might suggest you check out youtube videos ... you can get some sense of travel there from others' experiences.  Recently I found a TV station on my local AT&T cable, I24 is the state title, it is on AT&T channel 223 on my cable... has a lot of news, some cooking shows, some historical and biblical programs that are very interesting.  I found it interesting and a nice escape from local virus and political news in the usa today.   If you can check out you might enjoy.   Station comes from Tel Aviv. 

Thank you .One of my son-in-laws spent a year in Israel in high school.I have a niece who lived and worked there for 5 years.We always planned to go there but just never did.

• Like 1