ABTA/ATOL for non-UK Citizens

Host Jazzbeau

I have a question about ABTA/ATOL for non-UK citizens.  I have a cruise booked with Noble Caledonia for next year.  It starts in London and they fly us to Palma; after the cruise they fly us back from Malta to London.  It was booked through a US-based travel agent.  Does anybody know if I would I be covered by the ABTA/ATOL provisions [e.g. for vendor default]?

I just looked at Noble Caledonia's website and at the bottom it gives ABTA No. V321X and ATOL number 3108. So yes it looks like you will be covered through them.

8 hours ago, Ray66 said:

I just looked at Noble Caledonia's website and at the bottom it gives ABTA No. V321X and ATOL number 3108. So yes it looks like you will be covered through them.

I'm not so sure about this - Yes, Noble Caledonia are ABTA/ATOL registered, but the OP booked through a US-based travel agent.  An edited extract from ABTA's website:

"You’ll be reassured to know that package holidays that have been sold to you in the European Economic Area (EEA) by ABTA Members are protected financially in the event of a company failure. This means that in the unlikely event your travel company goes out of business, we have a simple process for you to follow, so you’ll be able to continue your holiday as planned or get your money back.

If you book your holiday from outside the EEA, this protection won't apply but other schemes may apply."

There may be some arrangement between the US Agent and a UK-based one which would cover this (we have come across similar between UK and Australian agents), but the situation merits more research, I think.

4 hours ago, Sekhmet said:

I'm not so sure about this - Yes, Noble Caledonia are ABTA/ATOL registered, but the OP booked through a US-based travel agent.  An edited extract from ABTA's website:

"You’ll be reassured to know that package holidays that have been sold to you in the European Economic Area (EEA) by ABTA Members are protected financially in the event of a company failure. This means that in the unlikely event your travel company goes out of business, we have a simple process for you to follow, so you’ll be able to continue your holiday as planned or get your money back.

If you book your holiday from outside the EEA, this protection won't apply but other schemes may apply."

There may be some arrangement between the US Agent and a UK-based one which would cover this (we have come across similar between UK and Australian agents), but the situation merits more research, I think.

Yes, sekhmet's post is worth repeating.

There are advantages in booking thro US agents - but this is the major disadvantage.

ABTA doesn't cover US agents.

There's a fund into which ABTA members are obliged to pay, so that if a member goes bust that fund covers the liquidated operator's clients. 

I don't know the cover offered by ATOL, but it's another British organisation, more associated with air travel, with broadly similar aims.

I'm 99% certain that neither covers you for financial problems with the US T/A.

I'd hope that it'd cover you if Noble Caledonia fail. But Noble Caledonian is a very small organisation, unlikely to weather a long-term COVID storm, so it's well worth getting advice about that from a professional.

Provided that you paid some of the cost by credit card your card issuer should cover you.

But if this isn't a fly-cruise package - if flights and cruise were booked as separate contracts, even if done through the same T/A and at the same time - then the card will only cover you for the segment for which you used the card.

Then there's travel insurance.

In the UK folk take out insurance when they book, because their deposits aren't refundable.

I know it's different in the US, but if your trip isn't insured and you can add insurance at this stage I'd highly recommend that you do.

JB :classic_smile:

9 hours ago, John Bull said:

Yes, sekhmet's post is worth repeating.

There are advantages in booking thro US agents - but this is the major disadvantage.

ABTA doesn't cover US agents.

There's a fund into which ABTA members are obliged to pay, so that if a member goes bust that fund covers the liquidated operator's clients. 

I don't know the cover offered by ATOL, but it's another British organisation, more associated with air travel, with broadly similar aims.

I'm 99% certain that neither covers you for financial problems with the US T/A.

I'd hope that it'd cover you if Noble Caledonia fail. But Noble Caledonian is a very small organisation, unlikely to weather a long-term COVID storm, so it's well worth getting advice about that from a professional.

Provided that you paid some of the cost by credit card your card issuer should cover you.

But if this isn't a fly-cruise package - if flights and cruise were booked as separate contracts, even if done through the same T/A and at the same time - then the card will only cover you for the segment for which you used the card.

Then there's travel insurance.

In the UK folk take out insurance when they book, because their deposits aren't refundable.

I know it's different in the US, but if your trip isn't insured and you can add insurance at this stage I'd highly recommend that you do.

JB :classic_smile:

Thanks.  I don't have any worries about my US TA, because they aren't holding my money [US TAs use your credit card number on the cruise line website; your receipt is directly from the cruise line].  It is a fly/cruise [Noble Caledonia rt London].  I do have Travel Insurance, but because Noble Caledonia is such a small presence in the US market it isn't listed in the vendor default coverage – that's why ABTA/ATOL coverage would be important to me.