Early Mark?

Was a bit surprised today to hear that people in some States didn’t understand the Prime Minister’s reference to getting an early mark, in relation to COVID-19. Made me wonder how many didn’t understand Nd more so what other terms would bamboozle those from other states.

19 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Was a bit surprised today to hear that people in some States didn’t understand the Prime Minister’s reference to getting an early mark, in relation to COVID-19. Made me wonder how many didn’t understand Nd more so what other terms would bamboozle those from other states.

No I'd not heard that expression used before in Queensland.

I do know there are a lot of different words used in the different States.  

Never heard that one ,also had to look it up

early mark

To be allowed to go home from school early. Only heard it used in NSW: Leaving work or school early "I've got an early mark today." 

15 minutes ago, joybook said:

Surely you've got to be kidding. Those of you that have not heard of 'early mark' before are you really Australians?

Sounds like it is mainly NSW that uses the expression, so perhaps the question should be are you really Australian?

As another poster said there are many different words and expressions used in the various states.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

9 minutes ago, joybook said:

No need to be like that.

Sorry I thought it was an unnecessary comment you made. We are all Australians last I heard.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

1 hour ago, BrissieB said:

In primary school in the 80s (Queensland) we use to get an early mark.  Can't send the kids home early now, so it may be out of fashion.

I am a fair bit older than that, have lived in Queensland all my life, and am quite familiar with with the term "early mark"

1 hour ago, valantine80 said:

I am a fair bit older than that, have lived in Queensland all my life, and am quite familiar with with the term "early mark"

Turns out the husband still uses this in a work context (also a Queenslander).

Some have said they found the language used to be patronising?

Suggesting it was something someone would say to children at school.

Nevertheless it is interesting that in the space of a month or more, it has gone from saying this will go on for 6 months or more to this new narrative.

Regardless people will do what they feel safe to do mindful of the risks that remain. 

11 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have always lived in Queensland and I can't recall hearing the term "early mark" before. However, I easily worked out what it meant.

I easily worked out what it meant too, not having heard the expression before.

wow. Who knew that the term 'early mark' was not Australia wide??

In my experience, growing up & living in Western Sydney, it was/is commonly used by family, friends & workmates. From school days to over 40 years of working, we were always keen on an early mark, & turning up unexpectedly early for something would often bring a " did you get an early mark?' or a "I got an early mark" or when planning something it would be "can't you get an early mark? ".

Currently working from home, so maybe I'll give myself an early mark today 🙂 

Have live in Melbourne most of my life... have to say have not come across it.....

I must admit sometime I have look up some the internet acronyms... at least I know LOL

At one stage the company I work for was in American ownership to a few years

They had a book of  acronyms it was 70 pages.... I just looked at it the thought OMG

Cheers Don

On 5/4/2020 at 1:16 PM, GUT2407 said:

Was a bit surprised today to hear that people in some States didn’t understand the Prime Minister’s reference to getting an early mark, in relation to COVID-19.

Not something I'd heard before but I presume it means along the lines of doing something earlier than expected?????

I thought the saying may have originated in those southern states that play that aerial ping pong game ..where  a player jumps in the air before everyone else and takes an “ early” mark. 😁