Carnival Announces Plan To Resume Operations

Syracusefan

It will be interesting if Princess decides to resume operations on August 1st with departures only from Florida and cancelling all other cruises from North America.

If so my August 16th cruise to Greenland will be cancelled.  😢😢

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22873-carnival-cruise-line-to-start-service-again-on-august-1.html

Edited by Syracusefan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Princess will add West Coast trips also - just like I have previously stated how the rollout would begin - and was boo-hoo by many - and you know who you are ...

I think it's a great start if it happens

• Like 2

I just saw that notification as well.  I don't see that Princess has made any such announcement.  I sure hope they resume their sailings soon and this isn't another delay tactic to get people to book or not cancel future 2020 sailings, only to have them hold their money for long periods of time.  I guess the results of the land based easing of restrictions will be key.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Princess will add West Coast trips also - just like I have previously stated how the rollout would begin - and was boo-hoo by many - and you know who you are ...

I think it's a great start if it happens

I read an article and, although it was based on speculation, it made sense.  The cruise lines will start out with sailings that are close to major cities in the US so little air travel is required and they will be shorter.  I don't believe we will see any 2+ weeks sailing from California to Hawaii taking place for quite some time.  They even canceled our 10 Sept sailing from San Francisco in the last round.  Maybe some 5 to 7 night Pacific Coastal sailings will be added.  Things will start off very limited, I am sure.  And the ships will probably not be filled to capacity at the start.  Time will tell.  

Just now, Dawniepoo said:

I just keep waiting for them to cancel our Sky Princess sailing at the end of September from NY. I am crossing my fingers, but am prepared to come up with a plan B instead. 

I hear you.  I had an early September Alaska sailing canceled in the last round and rebooked it for a late September Pacific Coastal instead.  I also have my fingers crossed but with that being my third sailing that has been paid for and then canceled, I am pretty much used to the disappointment ... it won't be completely unexpected.  

Just now, Cruise Raider said:

I hear you.  I had an early September Alaska sailing canceled in the last round and rebooked it for a late September Pacific Coastal instead.  I also have my fingers crossed but with that being my third sailing that has been paid for and then canceled, I am pretty much used to the disappointment ... it won't be completely unexpected.  

Ouch 3?! I've only had one cancel (2 days prior) so far. It really is a sad year. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dawniepoo said:

Ouch 3?! I've only had one cancel (2 days prior) so far. It really is a sad year. 

Yes ... 3 of them!  It has been a big ouch.  I'm still waiting on my refunds for 2 of them  and luckily, the agent I've been working with was able to move my funds over to a new Sept booking rather than having me wait for eternity on yet another refund.  That booking was originally made in 2018 so they've had my money for a long time already.  

It will be interesting to see if Port Ft Lauderdale will let cruise ships back in.  Looks like Miami and Port Canaveral are opening up for Carnival.  It will also be interesting to see what safety procedures they are going to have to follow.  Looks like it's going to be a long Hot summer.

I read the article, and I did not see where the CDC or the home ports said that they agree with them starting to sail again.  There was no "yes" you can sail from our home ports.  Am I missing something?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

I read the article, and I did not see where the CDC or the home ports said that they agree with them starting to sail again.  There was no "yes" you can sail from our home ports.  Am I missing something?

yes … the behind the scenes negotiations taking place ...

8 minutes ago, voljeep said:

at least Carnival has now officially cancelled more cruises that most already knew would be cancelled

Princess should follow that lead ...

If/when they cancel farther out sailings ... it's just more people in the refund queue that Princess cannot satisfy

1 minute ago, pms4104 said:

If/when they cancel farther out sailings ... it's just more people in the refund queue that Princess cannot satisfy

true dat … but, at least the process could be started earlier although refunds and fcc will obliviously be delayed … again

I believe that there is a requirement to submit a mitigation plan to CDC and get it approved before any U.S. sailing would be allowed.  I wonder where they are in that process.  I am suspecting a desperate attempt  to get the cash flow going again.

• Like 1

I believe Carnival has 27 ships.  Only 1/4 of the fleet will be sailing per the article.   Would expect Princes to only sail with a quarter of the fleet also.  Lots of cancelled cruises.  Just more money to refund.  

• Like 1

Thrilled to read that Carnival brand cruise ships will resume Caribbean, Bahamas sailings from Florida (Port Canaveral and Miami). Florida residents can easily drive to those ports from many parts of the state. Sounds like some local jurisdictions analyzed the loss of port fees revenue, too. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Carnival has added a caveat in its latest media release:

"Some of the media reports have not fully conveyed the contents of our previous media statement and why certain itineraries were not being cancelled.  Carnival reiterates that this is our current plan contingent on a number of factors.

Any resumption of cruise operations – whenever that may be – is fully dependent on our continued efforts in cooperation with federal, state, local and international government officials. In our continued support of public health efforts, any return to service will also include whatever enhanced operational protocols and social gathering guidelines that are in place at the time of the resumption of cruise operations.  We are committed to supporting all public health efforts to manage the COVID-19 situation and will continue to keep our guests, travel agent partners and other stakeholders informed."

"Resumption" of cruising sounds more like propaganda horse hockey than anything else.  Appears the corporation really doesn't have clue on how this will be accomplished.

No way they can start cruising.....people cannot even go to movie theaters and the ones they can go to have whole rows blocked off and seats blocked off.....CCL is trying to create false hope and also generate cash to keep them barely afloat....especially when the latest CDC/HHS predicted their will be easily 100,000 plus cases of COVID-19 a day in US by June 1, 2020 and several thousand deaths a day because of losing of social distancing guidelines.  

Who wants to take the risk of being quarantined in your cabin for 2 weeks on a cruise ship if COVID-19 breaks out again....such a relaxing and fun time I am sure.

• Like 5