Carnival Announces Plan To Resume Operations

Syracusefan

We have only done about 20 cruises.  On various cruise lines.

We are not even thinking about cruising.  Not moaning, whining, whatever.  We very much enjoyed each and every one from the Med, the Caribbean, Mexico, South America.    And we are getting used to the idea that cruises may never again be on our horizon, if only by choice.  Not such a big issue nor is it the end of the world for us.   We do lots of other types of travel.  This is not the only game in town for us.  We look at it this way....we have had many fabulous cruises and are thankful for the experience.  But there will be other experiences waiting for us when we select any one of the many travel alternatives.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

I don't think the CDC will allow that approach, disembark infected but asymptomatic passengers.  If this is the business plan that the industry develops the CDC will catch on and slap a No-Sail order again.

I think I have a solution ... and Arnold Donald will make me employee of the month!

There are some folks here who say they won't take a cruise until there is a vaccine.

(that includes me)

But, there are a lot of folks here who are anxious to cruise as soon as possible.

Constant posts here --- do you think my cruise on <insert-future-date> will occur?

Of course, it's bad for business if a coronavirus hot spot develops on a ship.

When I was a kid, there were 'pox parties'.   If one kid had mumps, measles, german-measles, etc.

all the other kids went to the sick kid's house to play.

The thinking at the time was that it was better to contract these diseases as a child, than as an adult.

I can't remember which one, but there was one that was dangerous during pregnancy, so it was much

better to get it out of the way as a child.  (edit: it's rubella)

So, thinking outside the box ... princess should have covid-19 parties!

Where excited would-be cruisers mingle with infected individuals.

There could be the usual videos on exotic destinations, drinks and food.

Like a travel-agent night.

Those who survive will get some sort of special princess lapel pin,

AND

be welcomed aboard all future cruises.

The slogan for these, of course, would be: "Come Back Immune"*

Win-win!

Mr Donald: please reply here, sir,  with my upcoming employee-of-the-month benefits!

* Future immunity had not yet been shown in large sample testing.

Professional driver on closed course. Your mileage may vary.

Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear.   etc

Edited by Roberto256
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Sounds like the best plan then is just to keep sailing blind.....daily death statistics in US are now being withheld in a number of Red States.....no matter what people say no one anywhere has not been able to slow down COVID-19 without stringent social  distancing in place and comprehensive testing and tracking.....we are a long ways from there it seems in this divided country.

No one anywhere?  Guess all those countries that have few deaths and are reopening their economy have NOT slowed it down.  No comprehensive testing and definitely NO tracking.

1 hour ago, bluesea321 said:

I don't think the CDC will allow that approach, disembark infected but asymptomatic passengers.  If this is the business plan that the industry develops the CDC will catch on and slap a No-Sail order again.

If they show no symptoms (asymptomatic) then how does the CDC know they are infected?

2 hours ago, npcl said:

Only do 4-7 day cruise and hope no one develops symptoms on board.

2 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

31 minutes ago, Potstech said:

If they show no symptoms (asymptomatic) then how does the CDC know they are infected?

By doing follow ups.  IF (and please note the "if") the CDC suspects that the industry is operating under a business model of short cruises in order to disembark pax before being symptomatic, I anticipate that the CDC will follow up with controlled testing/evaluations to verify.  They can follow up with passengers of particular cruises or perhaps require testing before disembarking if some show URIs.  There are other ways to do this as well, monitor the crew for example.  I think the industry would be foolish to try to circumvent health and safety protocols by only doing short cruises and I don't expect them to do that.

Edited by bluesea321

I had 2 cruises booked in 2021 with only a deposit paid. I canceled and got my refunds. I would never pay in full until final payment date. I have no desire now to cruise again because of COVID19, Noro, and anything new that comes around. I think that the cruise industry has gotten too big and the ships are huge. They seem to have lost control of themselves. When things look better for travel (probably not until fall 2021 for me, when I would feel safe) I'll look into a travel package to go somewhere.  Just my thoughts and feelings for myself.  I think I'm past cruising. I've taken several but I think the time has come for me to move on to something else. I just wonder how many others are feeling the same way and how it will effect the industry.

onboard2005....we feel exactly the same.  Additionally, the cruise line action leading up to this has given us little confidence in their collective management to place our health and well being above their corporate results.

• Like 1

Guess if you are 70 plus and death is knocking around the corner, panic would be a normal response.  We turned 80 this year and we just take one day at a time.  We went through AIDS scare in the 80s.  We know to take precaution and use common sense.  Panic is the worst fear. 

Edited by Janet76
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, iancal said:

We have only done about 20 cruises.  On various cruise lines.

We are not even thinking about cruising.  Not moaning, whining, whatever.  We very much enjoyed each and every one from the Med, the Caribbean, Mexico, South America.    And we are getting used to the idea that cruises may never again be on our horizon, if only by choice.  Not such a big issue nor is it the end of the world for us.   We do lots of other types of travel.  This is not the only game in town for us.  We look at it this way....we have had many fabulous cruises and are thankful for the experience.  But there will be other experiences waiting for us when we select any one of the many travel alternatives.

We are looking at River cruising as a way to travel abroad now combined with land stays...I am sure they will be much more able to deliver a quality, educational, and fun experience then mass market cruise lines like Princess who pretty much cannot seem to get their act together anymore.

5 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

By doing follow ups.  IF (and please note the "if") the CDC suspects that the industry is operating under a business model of short cruises in order to disembark pax before being symptomatic, I anticipate that the CDC will follow up with controlled testing/evaluations to verify.  They can follow up with passengers of particular cruises or perhaps require testing before disembarking if some show URIs.  There are other ways to do this as well, monitor the crew for example.  I think the industry would be foolish to try to circumvent health and safety protocols by only doing short cruises and I don't expect them to do that.

If some show URI's then they are not asymptomatic.  Do they hold any passengers that show any signs of any sickness?  Are they going to somehow test all these passengers? What other ways are there that are practical to a cruise ship?

8 minutes ago, Potstech said:

If some show URI's then they are not asymptomatic.  Do they hold any passengers that show any signs of any sickness?  Are they going to somehow test all these passengers? What other ways are there that are practical to a cruise ship?

The point was that the CDC can do testing and/or evaluate passengers after the fact by contact tracing IF they suspect that cruise lines are gaming the system by only doing short cruises.  Contact tracing has been quite common and effective in other countries.

https://www.evaluate.com/vantage/articles/analysis/spotlight/covid-19-antibody-tests-face-very-specific-problem

" The prevalence of Covid-19 is estimated at around 5% in the US, and at this low a level the risk of false positives becomes a major problem. If a serological test has 90% specificity, its positive predictive value will be 32.1% – meaning nearly 70% of positive results will likely be false."

Test kits not even accurate.  Y'all should just stay home. 

1 hour ago, bluesea321 said:

The point was that the CDC can do testing and/or evaluate passengers after the fact by contact tracing IF they suspect that cruise lines are gaming the system by only doing short cruises.  Contact tracing has been quite common and effective in other countries.

Many Americans, including myself, will not consent to tracking for medical reasons.

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

Many Americans, including myself, will not consent to tracking for medical reasons.

You do know that testing without contact tracing, is pretty useless.

So if you tested positive, you would refuse to tell the department of public health who you had been in contact with during the prior two week so that they could be tested?

15 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

So with estimates that by this summer we could be experiencing 200,000 cases a day and 3,000 deaths a day the last place I want to be is on a Carnival floating petri dish of disease.

With 200,000 cases a day and 3000 deaths a day on land in the USA, being on a Carnival cruise ship far from land might be the safest place to be.

• Like 2

These are the sort of people who will be rushing to get on ships before a vaccine....the same ones that cut holes in their mask to make it 'easier to breathe' will the ones lining up to get on a ship for 4 days because they 'need to cruise'.....SMH

image.png.5a13806a9a73d94226c344afdadf1815.png

7 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

These are the sort of people who will be rushing to get on ships before a vaccine....the same ones that cut holes in their mask to make it 'easier to breathe' will the ones lining up to get on a ship for 4 days because they 'need to cruise'.....SMH

WoW! How incredibly outrageous!!  Was this the shopper or the worker?

8 hours ago, npcl said:

You do know that testing without contact tracing, is pretty useless.

So if you tested positive, you would refuse to tell the department of public health who you had been in contact with during the prior two week so that they could be tested?

Wrong and yes. 

8 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

This will be the problem.....many people will believe the rules do not apply to them and will have no problem flaunting them to make life difficult for others.....I am always amazed at how attending a muster drill on a ship is such a major inconvenience to so many so I cannot imagine there will not be those who will just do  their own thing on board and to heck with the rest.....humanity at its best!!!

Edited by PrincessLuver

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

WoW! How incredibly outrageous!!  Was this the shopper or the worker?

Customer...its a still from a short video where the woman said it was to help her breathe....speaks volumes of humanities finest on display....and they wonder why cases spike when mitigation isn't followed properly