I always wondered why..

Too much time on my hands at the moment but I always wondered why Royal dosn't sail a ship on a regular transatlantic route? not enough revenue is my guess but i'm not sure - Maybe they used to?

1 minute ago, smush21 said:

Too much time on my hands at the moment but I always wondered why Royal dosn't sail a ship on a regular transatlantic route? not enough revenue is my guess but i'm not sure - Maybe they used to?

Too cold in Winter. Rough seas. 

3 minutes ago, smush21 said:

Have they ever considered a season back and forth - April to October perhaps?

One would need to figure out the numbers that sail for itinerary/ports and those that like sea days. Typically, costs per day on TA’s and a bit cheaper. 

26 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Because they can make more money by deploying their ships elsewhere. 

Agree 100%....Alaska...the Med...Europe...Australia...etc.  All seasonal...and $$$.

Edited by island lady

It would be a schedule I would be interested in anyway - my guess is others would too. Maybe it appeals to Europeans more though as it easy to travel around Europe but to us the US is still the New World! 😜

• Like 1

The ships that do that (Queen Mary 2 for example) are ocean liners, and while they have most of the amenities of cruise ships, they were really built to transport people on the Ocean.  Queen Mary 2 has more ship below the water line and has 4 stabilizers, all meant for the ocean crossings they do.  It's more stable than traditional cruise ships which means they can cross year round.  Believe me, you don't want to be in the Atlantic on a cruise ship in the winter.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, BND said:

The ships that do that (Queen Mary 2 for example) are ocean liners, and while they have most of the amenities of cruise ships, they were really built to transport people on the Ocean.  Queen Mary 2 has more ship below the water line and has 4 stabilizers, all meant for the ocean crossings they do.  It's more stable than traditional cruise ships which means they can cross year round.  Believe me, you don't want to be in the Atlantic on a cruise ship in the winter.  

V. interesting  - thanks!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BND said:

True, and the fact that Royal hasn't commissioned any ocean liner ships for this route means that's not a market they want to enter.  Not cost effective, and like another poster pointed out, they make more money on other routes.  Cunard almost went under until Carnival saved them.  I guess they believe in the line since, before the pandemic, they ordered a new ship for 2022.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

True, and the fact that Royal hasn't commissioned any ocean liner ships for this route means that's not a market they want to enter.  Not cost effective, and like another poster pointed out, they make more money on other routes.  Cunard almost went under until Carnival saved them.  I guess they believe in the line since, before the pandemic, they ordered a new ship for 2022.

Yes.  I have been in a number of storms in the North Atlantic/ North Sea on Queen Mary 2.  The liner handles the storms beautifully.  I have a number of double crossings under my belt — NY, Southampton, NY. All those sea days — wonderful.  Would love for Royal to have a real ocean liner.  But not happening in this environment.  Katherine 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

If Cunard does it maybe Royal could conceivably do it.  Since this is a niche market already serviced by Cunard, it might not be cost effective, otherwise, I'm sure Royal or another line would have jumped right in. 

Cunard's ships are of a different class than any of RCI's.   Cunards are considered "Ocean Liners" while RCI's are "Cruise Ships".   The differences are many, but, basically, ocean liners are built to ply the seven seas, go from point a to point b.  they are built with stronger hulls and designed to go faster than cruise ships.  Cruise ships are designed to take passengers on a closed loop journey with many more bells and whistles.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

Cunard's ships are of a different class than any of RCI's.   Cunards are considered "Ocean Liners" while RCI's are "Cruise Ships".   The differences are many, but, basically, ocean liners are built to ply the seven seas, go from point a to point b.  they are built with stronger hulls and designed to go faster than cruise ships.  Cruise ships are designed to take passengers on a closed loop journey with many more bells and whistles.

Actually on the Queen Mary II can be considered ocean liners.  The other ships are not ocean liners more like a cruise ship like RCCL's etc.

Direct from Cunard's website...

The world's only ocean liner.

Not only is Cunard a unique experience, Queen Mary 2 is also a unique ship: today's only true ocean liner. Stronger, sleeker, smoother and swifter than a cruise ship. A link to a glorious past only Cunard can provide.
  • Like 1

I'd be interested in that.  Imagine doing a east bound TA, stay in Europe for a while (week or more?), and then sail home.  Possibly at different ports in Europe?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smush21 said:

V. interesting  - thanks!

Smush21 .... I highly recommend you  do a crossing on the QM2. I'm D on Royal but the experience on the QM2 is a different world all together.  Go for it!

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

If Cunard does it maybe Royal could conceivably do it.  Since this is a niche market already serviced by Cunard, it might not be cost effective, otherwise, I'm sure Royal or another line would have jumped right in. 

Doesn't Cunard just sail from GB to NY?  Have been trying for years to figure out a way to sail rt/TA without a flight.  Would be great for those of us who want to get a rail pass and travel around Europe but who aren't excited about flying.

I actually think the OP could be onto something really - 

They could allocate different sized ships year after year to slake the thirst of TA lovers, doing return trips from whatever port from maybe April to October - the 'Queens' doing the liners crossing to NYNY goes on a more northern route so weather wise, this way would work longer throughout the cruising year!

Imagine 'a' ship for 2021 - it's base is varied and does constant trips east then west, yet stops each time in different ports and overnights there (maybe a double) to satisfy the B2B'ers? 

Leaves Southampton, 8 days later arrives in Miami - overnights then sets off for Lisbon, again ON's then sets off for Orlando and so forth ...

European ports could really be very numerous and there's a decent choice on the east coast of the US, even including the Caribbean inc CC and Labadee maybe and then possibly as far up as Boston in the better weather times.

For those that hate the flying pre or post cruise(nevermind the cost) the idea of a B2B that was say 16/18 nights may be ideal?

Just an idea and if someone from RCCL is watching - you heard it here first ha ha ha

There are many people who suffer sea sickness on those gentle cruise ships that travel in very calm waters.

Ocean liners are built to withstand weather that would make cruise ships shudder.

The Atlantic can be a tough ocean to cross.

Once I was on the QE2 and the captain outraced a hurricane--boy did those motors power up hard and fast!

The QE2 was also hit by a rogue wave, almost 100 feet tall.  Rogue waves are called "ship sinkers."

When I do transatlantic, I want a ship that will withstand most weather conditions, with a thick steel hull and a long bow.