Oz / New Zealand will be closed off to rest of world for a long tine

yes, the plan will be an AUS/NZ bubble. Air travel between both countries but not from outside. Business trip later this year already cancelled by the company. Was hoping to combine the trip with a cruise out of Sydney but will not happen. Cruise ships will not be going to both country in the mid term. Apparently there is no community spread in NZ. 

My understanding from the Australian and New Zealand Government is basically what eric2011 posted. I have a hard time understanding how they would implement such a restriction or bubble around the two country but New Zealand basically have no community spread. We are still increasing everyday here so I can see why. Disappointed as I was going to have my business trip coincide with a cruise out of Sydney late November. 

3 minutes ago, strathcona said:

My understanding from the Australian and New Zealand Government is basically what eric2011 posted. I have a hard time understanding how they would implement such a restriction or bubble around the two country but New Zealand basically have no community spread. We are still increasing everyday here so I can see why. Disappointed as I was going to have my business trip coincide with a cruise out of Sydney late November. 

I would think it's quite easy...don't allow airplanes or ships from other countries in.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I would think it's quite easy...don't allow airplanes or ships from other countries in.

Correct, we are both islands. Keep the countries which are flaunting restriction laws etc away and we can continue our way out of this. With NZ having no new cases in the past couple of days and AUS only having a small handfull, we will be able to travel between the 2 countries as long as we take care etc. In a country of over 25 million people we have done well to have less than 100 deaths.

all figures are approx

• Like 7

14 hours ago, soloadventurer said:

You are JUMPING THE GUN .... Australian State and Territory "s are still not open . There has only been a talk of how to re start the economy ,Some people were critical of other country's reaction to Covid-19 and history cannot be changed.

:classic_rolleyes:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-05/national-cabinet-coronavirus-travel-bubble-nz-ardern/12215316

1 minute ago, voyager70 said:

Call me crazy but I don't understand why anyone would want to travel internationally this year.  I expect many countries to keep thier borders closed for a long time.  

You are crazy. You’re welcome. 

• Haha 3

I had not heard this before. Most sad about it. 😟 Certainly a trip to AUS/NZ is still very high on my list - has been a top 'dream trip' for probably 20+ years....so hopefully at some point there will be a way. I have no interest in doing either by cruise ship though. As long as "for a long time" doesn't turn out to be something like 10-20 years - not sure how much international travel I'll still be doing at that point. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

15 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Call me crazy but I don't understand why anyone would want to travel internationally this year.  I expect many countries to keep thier borders closed for a long time.  

New Zealand is very safe right now, I would like to go hiking in New Zealand, I looked into it, but they wont let me in the country, they dont want me -, like i have not heard that before.  (P.S. Poll question is poorly formulated/worded and coming from me, that must mean it is pretty bad)

Edited by Newleno

I have a lot of respect for the New Zealand Prime Minister. I don't know a whole lot about her but she seems to address issues quickly and deals with them in a decisive manner. Maybe we need more female leaders😀

I do, however, sympathize with those who were looking forward to visiting NZ and Australia.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, island lady said:

How about in February?  Hoping...hoping.... 

We most probably wont be able to travel internally between different states until late Q3 or early Q4 this year although we will most probably be able to go between NZ and AUS before that. As for international travel, that will all depend on the virus levels from within the overseas country and the ability to control and seriously reduce the virus within the local community and the introduction of a vaccine that works . Sorry but the actions of some within your country at the moment are not being seen in a very good light and if people cant do the right thing then you wont get in here. I would think that early next year could be 50/50.

Dont shoot the messenger

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eric2011 said:

We most probably wont be able to travel internally between different states until late Q3 or early Q4 this year although we will most probably be able to go between NZ and AUS before that. As for international travel, that will all depend on the virus levels from within the overseas country and the ability to control and seriously reduce the virus within the local community and the introduction of a vaccine that works . Sorry but the actions of some within your country at the moment are not being seen in a very good light and if people cant do the right thing then you wont get in here. I would think that early next year could be 50/50.

Dont shoot the messenger

Hmmmm...no chance I suppose that you just might be referring to our current administration?  😏 I suspect moreso the growing protest movement over social distancing and masking guidelines. If so - either way - I don't blame you for wanting to keep us out. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, eric2011 said:

Dont shoot the messenger

No problem.  We spent our honeymoon in NZ...most beautiful of the countries I have ever visited, and we have been to many of them.  Was dearly hoping our plans would still involve our visiting again to celebrate our 25th anniversary next year.  Granted now that may not happen, and will break our hearts.  We never made it to Australia, and will be sad to miss visiting that country as well should it come to that.  Was on our bucket list and have been studying various areas and dreaming about it for months now.  Plus Tasmania. 

No, our country is not run perfectly, but then again...which one is?  We seem to have that same conversation in the U.S. about which state is better than others to live in...blah..blah and blah....fact is there is no perfect place to live.  Each state has their good and bad features...as does each country.  

I like to think we are one world...I am a child of earth.  

Edited by island lady

2 hours ago, island lady said:

...I am a child of earth.  

yeah well, right now the earth seems to be fighting back & telling us to get our (poop) together.  (The problem in the US is everything gets turned into politics and a blame game).  Bottom line is, I get the feeling my March 2021 cruise "down under" will be sunk.😭

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

yeah well, right now the earth seems to be fighting back & telling us to get our (poop) together.  (The problem in the US is everything gets turned into politics and a blame game).  Bottom line is, I get the feeling my March 2021 cruise "down under" will be sunk.😭

I would agree.  Don't see any countries allowing cruising to resume for a long time.  Not deadly for vast majority of us, but we have to contain it - cruises will have the opposite effect!  Uncommon sense

My niece is playing (pro) and coaching youth Field Hockey in Aus.  She was home in late Feb into Mar because she had been there almost a year and had to have her visa renewed.  She went back in March and apparently they're starting their field hockey season back up. I wonder how they'll handle non-citizens with expiring visas.

3 hours ago, mitz18 said:

Not telling me anything new...but thanks.  Mother Nature is not happy with us...and I can't blame her.  😞 

We do the best we can with what we have...and deal with things as they come.   Is there another choice?