Oz / New Zealand will be closed off to rest of world for a long tine

On 5/5/2020 at 6:56 PM, Billy Baltic said:

You are crazy. You’re welcome. 

On 5/5/2020 at 7:05 PM, voyager70 said:

You're mad mate

I 'heard' voices in my head when I read these two posts.  

Think sitting at a bar, both of you with a drink in hand. 😂

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

I would agree.  Don't see any countries allowing cruising to resume for a long time.  Not deadly for vast majority of us, but we have to contain it - cruises will have the opposite effect!  Uncommon sense

Hope you're wrong being that I have a cruise out of Rome in January. Non-public sailing with the Chairman of Viking. Be interesting to see what they do with that one. First they have to finish building the new ship that it's scheduled to take place on. Construction halted back in March. If you're right, then the same should apply to all land touring. I can't see the global travel industry - as a whole - being shut down "for a long time". If international business-related travel is going to resume, I suspect the travel industry won't be far behind. Money talks. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

17 hours ago, island lady said:

Quarantine requirements are all through next year as well?  

From memory your doing a couple of months here early next year.

If you have to quarantine for 2 weeks  and if they can work something out that is pleasant such as a resort or a island.

I would consider it .

• 2 years later...
International cruise ships will be allowed to return to New Zealand, with the country’s maritime borders reopening July 31 after two years.

Majestic Princess, scheduled to arrive in Auckland on October 16, will be the first ship to return.

‘It will be 946 days from the last ship to the first ship back,’ New Zealand Cruise Association Chairman Debbie Summers said.  

Preparing with confidence

‘Hundreds of Kiwi ship suppliers and tourism operators can start rebuilding their businesses back, helping communities that have suffered during our pandemic years and begin preparing with confidence to provide our top service to cruise visitors,’ Summers said.

‘After such a long absence of cruise ships from our shores, opening the maritime borders is only the beginning. 

‘To ensure the cruise sector is delivering a fantastic visitor experience will require a commitment and extremely hard work from ports, inbound tour operators, regional tourism organisations, local tour operators and the thousands of people in every region who work to make our immersive cruise  experiences a success.

‘The return of cruise will be welcomed by many communities around the country, especially those regions where cruise makes up a large part of their tourism, like Northland, Gisborne, New Plymouth, Picton, Timaru and Stewart Island.’

Timely news

Cruise Lines International Association Australasia MD Joel Katz said the news is timely, with the upcoming cruise season starting in October.

‘The suspension of international cruising over the past two years had had a huge impact on the New Zealand travel industry and we now have an opportunity to work on a revival,’ Katz said. 

‘The cruise industry has worked closely with the New Zealand government to develop plans for a responsible return of international cruise ships and we look forward to reviving the economic opportunities that come with cruise tourism in communities around New Zealand.’

New Zealand’s cruise ship ban to be lifted at end of July (seatrade-cruise.com)

• 9 months later...

"

Tropical Cyclone Gabrielle, which caused cruise ships to cancel visits to New Caledonia and Vanuatu earlier this month, left widespread devastation in the north of New Zealand.

Some regions remained cut off from all access, power and communications as the tropical storm moved away from the country, leaving more than 10,000 people displaced.

Roads and houses have been submerged by flooding, while key state highways have been closed by landslides.

National State of Emergency

The New Zealand government has declared a national state of emergency for only the third time in the country’s history.

The other two occasions followed the 2011 Christchurch earthquake and the start of the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020.

Brad Olsen of New Zealand economic consultancy Infometrics said the difference between Cyclone Gabrielle and the January Auckland floods was that the flooding had been in a limited area and resources could be directed there.

‘Now we have to direct resources across the entirety of the North Island,’ Olsen said. 

Napier and Gisborne still closed

Kevin O’Sullivan, CEO of the New Zealand Cruise Association, said most ports apart from Napier and Gisborne are now open.

‘Port calls cancelled in one location meant that cruise ships were diverted to other ports in most cases,’ O’Sullivan said.  "

Cruise ships change ports in the aftermath of Cyclone Gabrielle (seatrade-cruise.com)

Biker, who wonders how many resurrection haters will chime in on this one.

• Like 1