Celebrity Beyond: Delivery postponed by several months

monsterl

1 hour ago, monsterl said:

Source: https://www.meretmarine.com/fr/content/chantiers-de-latlantique-la-livraison-du-msc-virtuosa-repoussee-de-plusieurs-mois (unfortunately behind the paywall ..., sorry!)

According to current intern planning, the ship should now be delivered in March 2022 instead of November 2021.

That's ok with me, I'm not a fan of the E-class chips.  They can keep it in the ship yard as long as they want.  The E-class is great if you're in a suite but lots of negatives for the rest of the passengers.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

That's ok with me, I'm not a fan of the E-class chips.  They can keep it in the ship yard as long as they want.  The E-class is great if you're in a suite but lots of negatives for the rest of the passengers.

In your opinion. I was on Edge in a single stateroom with Infinite Veranda and had a wonderful time! Plenty to do and see without wasting money on a suite.

• Like 1

No surprise there on the timeline.  But I think the Beyond might be at risk of further delay or even being cancelled.  Not sure where RCCL will get the cash to keep building new ships.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

And yet you state it like it is fact that the only way anyone can enjoy the Edge is to be in a suite.

Yep.  That's a fact.  Those are the facts that I used to develop my opinion.  I'm glad that you found a way to enjoy yourself.  Unfortunately, many people didn't enjoy their experiences on the Edge. 

4 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Yep.  That's a fact.  Those are the facts that I used to develop my opinion.  I'm glad that you found a way to enjoy yourself.  Unfortunately, many people didn't enjoy their experiences on the Edge. 

My DW and I among them.  Not a fan of the IV at all.   A cocktail on the MC while underway was a big hit, however.

• Like 1

Isn’t it great to get back to some of our regular debate topics instead of the Covid-19 debate topics. Now if someone will just start a Tipping thread it will feel like everything is getting back to normal. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

My sense of humour is so perverse / twisted that I've been waiting for the thread where someone asks "I'll have the premium beverage package, if I get a drink that contains Covid-19 do I have to pay $4 plus the gratuity?"

24 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Isn’t it great to get back to some of our regular debate topics instead of the Covid-19 debate topics. Now if someone will just start a Tipping thread it will feel like everything is getting back to normal. 

Or the Dress code thread. Those were the good ole days... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

I was thinking the same. 

We loved our IV sailing on Edge last year. Just because someone says it’s a fact doesn’t make it so. It makes it their opinion, that’s all. 

mac_tlc 

A40CD6ED-4E11-40B8-AF47-4AA285FB785A.jpeg

C48AA5DF-F36C-431A-8F8F-CC2953E9DBFF.jpeg

7965ACF4-9119-4CF5-A816-EAB6EE2BE878.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

No surprise there on the timeline.  But I think the Beyond might be at risk of further delay or even being cancelled.  Not sure where RCCL will get the cash to keep building new ships.

Imo, Beyond may be the last X ship to be built. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know the construction status of the Beyond?  It looks like it was just started at the end of January.  If work has been on hold for several weeks, maybe it would be better just to cancel the ship and not take on any more debt.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Nothing beyond the Beyond??  That's the most pessimistic view I've heard in a long time.

Maybe that's what they ought to call it, "Nothing Beyond"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Does anyone know the construction status of the Beyond?  It looks like it was just started at the end of January.  If work has been on hold for several weeks, maybe it would be better just to cancel the ship and not take on any more debt.

They only started cutting the steel end of January so quite possible it could (and probably should) be abandoned.

As much as I would like for E class to go to a different line (Carnival are you listening), this article appears to be for the MSC Virtuoso.  The article was in French and I put it in a translater.  Here is the translated English...  Wrong link perhaps?

I will refrain from naming the Beyond...

Posted on 05/05/2020 by Vincent Groizeleau The Chantiers de l’Atlantique are not immune to the upheavals of the coronavirus crisis, which is shaking the cruise industry hard. With, to begin with, a postponement of delivery of the most advanced liner of those under construction in Saint-Nazaire. It is the MSC Virtuosa (H34), a 331 meter long by 43 meter wide vessel, 181,500 GT in capacity and 2,440 cabins. Sistership of the MSC Grandiosa (G34), delivered in October 2019, this ship, launched in November 29, is scheduled to enter the fleet next October. But, learned Mer et Marine, its owner, MSC Cruises, and the Chantiers de l'Atlantique, would have agreed to postpone its delivery until early 2021. By then, everyone hopes that the tourism industry will otherwise returned to normal activity, which no one really believes in this deadline, at least picked up a few colors and started to recover. And that will give the manufacturer time to catch up on the delay during the confinement period and the revival of its activity, which began on April 27 and which is still slowing down. © Mer et Marine https://www.meretmarine.com/fr/content/chantiers-de-latlantique-la-livraison-du-msc-virtuosa-repoussee-de-plusieurs-mois

image.png

Edited by NMTraveller

I was booked on the Apex in June this years- which- of course got canceled. I was really looking forward to it. To experience a totaly new ship. I was booked in one of those cabins with the fake balcony- which is nothing more then a big window- that you may or not may be able to open. Some very generous people called it more like a wintergarden.

So maybe it was for the best that it got canceled-  so when I rebook sometime in 2025 or thereabouts- I go for a regular balcony cabin.