Virgin to end operations from Gatwick

minikiss

Just read Virgin are laying off staff and will end flights from Gatwick.

The news is still quite fresh but could be the start of my travel plans in November unravelling…..

If its true I have no return flight back from Orlando...….

They are saying they will be ceasing all flights to and from Gatwick to concentrate on Heathrow and Manchester.

The only direct London flight from Orlando they run is back to Gatwick and that is a must for us. I don't trust indirect ones...…..

So if they close the Gatwick operation there will be no direct flights back to a London airport. 

As that flight is not already in the schedule for Heathrow I can't see them being able to run one for the near future

40 minutes ago, minikiss said:

The only direct London flight from Orlando they run is back to Gatwick and that is a must for us. I don't trust indirect ones...…..

Don't trust?

Millions of people every day use connecting itineraries. What's not to trust? You'll probably be rebooked onto a Delta or mixed DL/VS itinerary through Atlanta or similar.

I have a good reason to not trust them, the very first cruise we took we had flights with AA who sent one of our cases to the wrong airport. We were without half of things for 4 days before we got them back. That case went to more ports than we did. I believe the delta flight is run by Virgin...… My TA knows I will only except a none direct as the very very very last resort. I'd rather switch my out going airport and then have a return with extra cost and bother. I agree millions do but that's their choice not mine. 

Airlines lose or misplace bags on non-stop flights too. 

A very tiny percentage of bags don't make it to their final destination on time and the vast majority of those are reunited with their bags within a week or so. Is it ideal? No. But to put very punitive restrictions on your flight options for this reason seems to be a rather fruitless exercise, IMO. 

• Thanks 1

Virgin is not the same company  as its used be. I mean they had their ups and downs but now in this particular situation I think it will be better for them to limit their presence is those not quite popular destinations. I dont think it will in any way affect their operations as they keep open new sites. 

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

And FWIW, British has also ended all Gatwick operations - though the closure is not "permanent" (as of now).

Considering the vastly reduced number of flights currently being operated, it makes no sense to maintain operations at both LHR and LGW. And as LGW has always been the more leisure-centric airport, consolidating operations at LHR makes perfect sense. Everyone's in survival mode right now.

• Like 1