Would you cruise if only ports were private islands?

George C

17 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I wonder how the natives of islands feel about the riff raff that come off the cruise ships.

Dear otw,  You "hit the nail on the head".

I have ‘railed’ about this riffraff, this ‘crème de la crap’, this hoi polloi, the ‘great unwashed’ that I have seen of late aboard these cruise ships. It must be the exceptionally low prices like $299 for a week that has enticed the ‘street people’ to park their shopping carts under some over pass, pack these contents into a carry-on, fold up their cardboard signs and high-tail it to the nearest port for a dream vacation. You can instantly discern the ‘chaff’ on formal/chic nights when they present themselves all over the ship in their pajamas, ship supplied bathrobes (worn all day as well) or the same ‘street’ clothes they wear while ‘working the streets’.

“What a revoltin’ development this is !”

Edited just now by rattanchair

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Would I sail on a private island cruise only itinerary?  Yes.

I'd prefer--as I have said multiple times on this Forum--I prefer a cruise with no ports at all.  

There is a nice thing about port intensive cruises, it empties the ship for a more enjoyable afternoon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rattanchair said:

They are great, until you get your pock picked.

That happened to us once. On a quiet residential street. In Barcelona.

6 minutes ago, clo said:

That happened to us once. On a quiet residential street. In Barcelona.

I learned to higher a guide. If your pocket is picked they do not get payed. We payed a bike-pedaled taxi in Saigon to just drive us around and we saw him repeatedly swat pick-pockets away from us. The passengers that did not higher locals were pick-pocketed when they ventured alone.

Edited by rattanchair

On 5/5/2020 at 7:13 PM, George C said:

Would you cruise if only ports were private islands or just a cruise to nowhere? This would not bother me at all I like being on a ship but do want to visit at least one beach. We stay on board for many Caribbean ports and all of them that tender.

Yep. As long as there was land to set foot on every couple of days.

3 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

The passengers that did not higher locals were pick-pocketed when they ventured alone.

That's really sad. We don't "higher" (sic) guides and have been to six continents. When we 'hit the ground' we head in the opposite directions of the tourists. Here's a guy in Montenegro (IIRC) who was having a beer with his buddies. He bought us this dessert and gave me his name and phone # in case we needed any help.

20181012_111747 - Edited.jpg

20181012_112230 - Edited.jpg

8 minutes ago, clo said:

He bought us this dessert and gave me his name and phone # in case we needed any help.

Yes, he looks like he can handle himself in any situation.  But unfortunately, I am not as pretty as you, and do not think I could' get the right time of day', let alone my wallet or watch back ( luckily it is a $50 knock-off I got years ago in Hong Kong). So I am resigned to paying for guides/protection.

P.S. I only went to Disney World without a guide once, but kept my money in my shoe.

Edited by rattanchair
P.S.

But unfortunately, I am not as pretty as you,

LOL and thanks. I'm in my 70s now and have a personal motto of "you get back what you give out." I meet people with a smile on my face and it's held me in good stead. So far.

5 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

My smile is like Alfred E. Neuman's smile. One look at me and I will be lucky if they do not take my clothes and shoes as well.

Have you thought about orthodontia?!?!? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, clo said:

The doctor who said it, I believe, was speaking hyperbolically. Because it can't be done in a day. And for the whole nation. What? A year? Five years? I think I, who don't usually think black or white, did in this case. Like 'oh, we have a vaccine; let's go somewhere.'

It is interesting to consider what could be done if all the stops are pulled out.  Assuming adequate supplies,  I suspect California could be accomplished in 60 to 90 days with a full court press.    

Just now, ldubs said:

It is interesting to consider what could be done if all the stops are pulled out.  Assuming adequate supplies,  I suspect California could be accomplished in 60 to 90 days with a full court press.    

It is VERY interesting. With all the interstates and other major highways it would be an interesting process.  Oh, right. "assuming adequate supplies."

1 hour ago, rattanchair said:

I have ‘railed’ about this riffraff, this ‘crème de la crap’, this hoi polloi, the ‘great unwashed’ that I have seen of late aboard these cruise ships. It must be the exceptionally low prices like $299 for a week that has enticed the ‘street people’ to park their shopping carts under some over pass, pack these contents into a carry-on, fold up their cardboard signs and high-tail it to the nearest port for a dream vacation. You can instantly discern the ‘chaff’ on formal/chic nights when they present themselves all over the ship in their pajamas, ship supplied bathrobes (worn all day as well) or the same ‘street’ clothes they wear while ‘working the streets’.

“What a revoltin’ development this is !”

Edited just now by rattanchair

Tongue-in-cheek, yes?  

51 minutes ago, George C said:

msc had waiter service for there yacht club. 

I appreciated that and liked the Lunch menu that was offered at Ocean House.  It was a bit crowded when I was there.  MSC may need to somehow expand that nice facility on Ocean Cay.

1 hour ago, rattanchair said:

I agree, but only half agree.  I'm from Key West and it did not matter if it was a 3 day Carnival booze cruise or an extended itinerary luxury ship like Crystal at the dock.  There's just something about cruise passengers.  Maybe its the on board spoiling, but cruise passengers tend to act the most self-entitled of all tourists....generally speaking, of course.

Seeing it from the island perspective has really made me pay attention to the way I act when I travel. 

But ref the riff raff comment, I didn't read it to mean the people.  I could be wrong though. 

• Like 1

I predict there will be a vaccine readily available for our cruising public before the end of the year (I have 2 booked still before the end of the year). I say this because this is an election year and we have someone who's motto is "Do not let anyone tell you it can not be done." You can 'hold your breath' on this one...'.the cavalry is on its way'.

3 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

but cruise passengers tend to act the most self-entitled of all tourists....generally speaking, of course.

Dear A, Yes, yes, generally or specifically speaking,  spot-on in your observations.  I attribute this 'attitude' to the drink packages.  A bar manager on one of the 4 major lines mentioned that the average passenger consumes 34 drinks per day on his line.With this kind of consumption I would be 'three sheets to the wind' and have just the same attitude, if I was able to stand and not stumble down a flight of stairs. I would definitely be more obnoxious than I already am.

Dear A, Yes, yes, generally or specifically speaking,  spot-on in your observations.  I attribute this 'attitude' to the drink packages.  A bar manager on one of the 4 major lines mentioned that the average passenger consumes 34 drinks per day on his line.With this kind of consumption I would be 'three sheets to the wind' and have just the same attitude, if I was able to stand and not stumble down a flight of stairs. I would definitely be more obnoxious than I already am.

Wow!  3 sheets to the wind?  After 34 drinks, I think I'd be dead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I agree, but only half agree.  I'm from Key West and it did not matter if it was a 3 day Carnival booze cruise or an extended itinerary luxury ship like Crystal at the dock.  There's just something about cruise passengers.  Maybe its the on board spoiling, but cruise passengers tend to act the most self-entitled of all tourists....generally speaking, of course.

Seeing it from the island perspective has really made me pay attention to the way I act when I travel. 

More than once I've had the experience of being on Duval Street after the big ships dump their hordes. It does impress upon you the need to be more attentive to your behavior when traveling.  

37 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

The "average" consumes 34 drinks per day????? That would have to mean that the responsible drinkers -say 10 or 12 drinks per day (which comes close to identifying as a "problem drinker") must be offset by many who drink more than 40 or so to generate that average.

Because there are simply not that many reports of fatal alcohol poisoning on cruise ships, the only response is that that bar manager is either full of crap or has been seriously misquoted.

• Like 1