Would you cruise if only ports were private islands?

George C

4 hours ago, rattanchair said:

Must be a lot of cruisers with 'hollow legs' choose certain cruise lines. I will have to ask my pharmacist, she was relaying her story of her booze cruise last summer with that revealing tidbit from the beverage manager. I myself only get the water package when not provided in the suite category. My water bill came to $168 for two for the week.

P.S. "Believe 1/2 of what you see, 1/4 of what you read, and nothing of what you hear." Specially 'here'.

Let’s see:  $168  would buy  about 168 liters of Dasani bottled water — but only about 6

liters of (almost) top-of-the-line Veen bottled water from Finland.  Both “bottled” water.

Of course, on board a ship, there would be some mark-up — so talking about $168 worth of bottled water provides about as little information as talking about an “average” cruiser having 34 drinks per day without identifying it as bottled water, cola, or cocktail.

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I do recall one detailed request that I made in the YC Lounge at sailaway to be served with my bon voyage glass of wine:  some mixed nuts.  The Lounge Butler's response was:  "We don't have any.  We do have some peanuts."  I enjoyed them, but....

Dear rka,   Thank you. You are always very kind, very informative and a helpful asset to the CC message boards.

'My' impression, is that the Lounge Butlers are butlers in training. They do not really go out of their way perhaps because they are not in the 'cash tip loop' at the end of a cruise. Perhaps that is why I notice the Head Butler stations himself at the entrance to the Top Sail Lounge much of the time to observe these guys and gals.

I would have gotten up from my comfortable seat and walked up to the 'Head' (he probably was not there at the time), better yet... replied to this Lounge Butler,  would he be kind enough to call over the Head Butler for me..If further stonewalling, I would have walked down the hall to the concierge desk and simply requested he order me mixed nuts to be delivered to me in the TSL. Should the concierge gives me any answer not to my satisfaction, I would start "Nut Gate", going up the chain of command. I enjoy throwing $2-3 bucks on the serving tray every time I am served. I think the arrival of the mixed nuts and the fiasco I created over them would require $5 to 'save face' (mine).

41 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Dear rka,   Thank you. You are always very kind, very informative and a helpful asset to the CC message boards.

'My' impression, is that the Lounge Butlers are butlers in training. They do not really go out of their way perhaps because they are not in the 'cash tip loop' at the end of a cruise. Perhaps that is why I notice the Head Butler stations himself at the entrance to the Top Sail Lounge much of the time to observe these guys and gals.

I would have gotten up from my comfortable seat and walked up to the 'Head' (he probably was not there at the time), better yet... replied to this Lounge Butler,  would he be kind enough to call over the Head Butler for me..If further stonewalling, I would have walked down the hall to the concierge desk and simply requested he order me mixed nuts to be delivered to me in the TSL. Should the concierge gives me any answer not to my satisfaction, I would start "Nut Gate", going up the chain of command. I enjoy throwing $2-3 bucks on the serving tray every time I am served. I think the arrival of the mixed nuts and the fiasco I created over them would require $5 to 'save face' (mine).

I think I would prefer bringing my own supply of nuts when boarding to playing this game.

Edited by navybankerteacher

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think I would prefer bringing my own supply of nuts when boarding to playing this game.

Oh my, yes. If I observed this "game" being played - oh, wait, it was described as a "fiasco" - I'd be inclined to jump into the fray...and embarrass someone...and it wouldn't be a staff member. Sheesh.

Oh my, yes. If I observed this "game" being played - oh, wait, it was described as a "fiasco" - I'd be inclined to jump into the fray...and embarrass someone...and it wouldn't be a staff member. Sheesh.

In olden times, probably as little as ten years ago, LOL, even on mainstream cruise lines you didn’t have to ask for mixed nuts. You sat down in a lounge and if you ordered a drink they would bring mixed nuts or some other snack. Then it stopped happening. On Oceania which I call a boutique line, last year they brought over mixed nuts in the lounge

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

In olden times, probably as little as ten years ago, LOL, even on mainstream cruise lines you didn’t have to ask for mixed nuts. You sat down in a lounge and if you ordered a drink they would bring mixed nuts or some other snack. Then it stopped happening. On Oceania which I call a boutique line, last year they brought over mixed nuts in the lounge

I'm talking about questionable behavior to get what you want. I was raised in the South and Mother had a phrase "good breeding" and it was nothing about your family status or money. I've never known exactly how to define it. Kinda like knowing how to behave. Especially in public. More than manners/etiquette. And causing a scene to get a bowl of nuts would not qualify as "good breeding."

I'm talking about questionable behavior to get what you want. I was raised in the South and Mother had a phrase "good breeding" and it was nothing about your family status or money. I've never known exactly how to define it. Kinda like knowing how to behave. Especially in public. More than manners/etiquette. And causing a scene to get a bowl of nuts would not qualify as "good breeding."

There is a sizable minority of rude and entitled people who cruise and who treat the crew badly. I have seen it almost every sailing.

As for the south. Many contradictions. Lot of behavior there depended on ones race. They didn’t treat you well if you were non white.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

As for the south. Many contradictions. Lot of behavior there depended on ones race. They didn’t treat you well if you were non white.

And many still don't.  But I knew many Black people who could have written the book on "good breeding."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clo said:

In Connecticut it is spelled/pronounced “Zeesh”

5 hours ago, George C said:

on msc yacht club mini bar which is free there was chocolate covered nuts and mixed nuts and this was replenished daily .

I had not discovered those yet.  That first afternoon, I was too busy having Lunch, unpacking, exploring the ship and getting myself oriented, reading the daily program while trying to decide my plans for the rest of the afternoon and evening.  I didn't get into the mini-bar until the next day.  

It's interesting that my small comment about not having mixed nuts available in the Top Sail Lounge that Sunday evening drew 6-7 posts.  Sort of like throwing a pebble in a big pond and watching the ever growing circles around the entry point of the pebble in the water.  

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Sort of like throwing a pebble in a big pond and watching the ever growing circles around the entry point of the pebble in the water. 

Hopefully 'enjoying' a twinge of embarrassment.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, clo said:

I'm talking about questionable behavior to get what you want.

What is questionable behavior in my statement? Asking for mixed nuts in a cocktail lounge ? Or tipping when the service is provided? This lounge butler obviously did not go the extra step and locate a can, which seems to exist in every YC stateroom. This is the YC area, staterooms, kitchen, lounge, was the cupboard under lock and key? Under what page does one find "calling out" in the southern belle manual of proper behavior?

5 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

What is questionable behavior in my statement? Asking for mixed nuts in a cocktail lounge ? Or tipping when the service is provided? This lounge butler obviously did not go the extra step and locate a can, which seems to exist in every YC stateroom. This is the YC area, staterooms, kitchen, lounge, was the cupboard under lock and key? Under what page does one find "calling out" in the southern belle manual of proper behavior?

"I would have gotten up from my comfortable seat and walked up to the 'Head' (he probably was not there at the time), better yet... replied to this Lounge Butler,  would he be kind enough to call over the Head Butler for me..If further stonewalling, I would have walked down the hall to the concierge desk and simply requested he order me mixed nuts to be delivered to me in the TSL. Should the concierge gives me any answer not to my satisfaction, I would start "Nut Gate", going up the chain of command. I enjoy throwing $2-3 bucks on the serving tray every time I am served. I think the arrival of the mixed nuts and the fiasco I created over them would require $5 to 'save face' (mine)."

I'm done here.

I , myself do not partake of nuts or salt. But should a lady or gentleman in my group request any 'reasonable' everyday, ubiquitous, inexpensive, item commonly found in cocktail lounges and told sorry "only peanuts". 'Y'all' might expect such treatment in 'steerage' but we do not expect it in 'suite class'. Yes, I am an elitist, fighting my never ending battle for truth, justice, and the American 'elitist way'.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, clo said:

"I would have gotten up from my comfortable seat and walked up to the 'Head' (he probably was not there at the time), better yet... replied to this Lounge Butler,  would he be kind enough to call over the Head Butler for me..If further stonewalling, I would have walked down the hall to the concierge desk and simply requested he order me mixed nuts to be delivered to me in the TSL. Should the concierge gives me any answer not to my satisfaction, I would start "Nut Gate", going up the chain of command. I enjoy throwing $2-3 bucks on the serving tray every time I am served. I think the arrival of the mixed nuts and the fiasco I created over them would require $5 to 'save face' (mine)."

I'm done here.

I could not have stated it better, had I wrote it myself.

• Haha 2

For all you 'bean counters' out there, I went to my folder of past cruises and found my statement and 'counted' the bottles of water we were charged for on a one week cruise. A caveat for all you novice 'bean counters' , is whatever you order before the ship sails, your drinks will include 7% sales tax on your statement. If you have any big purchases (a case) wait until the ship leaves port to save the 7%. Now, we were charged $6.60/ bottle and no, you can not bring your own bottled water on board. So, not including sailaway water, we had 2 bottles every meal, 6 bottles/ day x 6 days =36 bottles x 6.60= $237.60 total no tax on 7 day cruise. The $168.00 was for 2 cases on another cruise line of larger bottles/ 24= $7.00 per bottle which we did not finish entirely but left in our stateroom and was purchased in advance, like wifi, for a better 'deal'.

Sorry, but I am not a 'blowhard' or a 'bean counter' like some of you intimate.

P.S. 'Bean counter' , I found it in your Urban dictionary.

Edited by rattanchair
P.S.

4 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

'counted' the bottles of water we were charged for on a one week cruise.

Wow, too bad you travel on ships that charge for water (sparkling or still or anything else) and that don't allow you to carry on whatever you please. Hopefully you can have cooked to order lobster tails every night with no surcharge.

33 minutes ago, clo said:

Wow, too bad you travel on ships that charge for water (sparkling or still or anything else) and that don't allow you to carry on whatever you please. Hopefully you can have cooked to order lobster tails every night with no surcharge.

Yes, it is too bad. NCL H6 category $6.60/ bottle. RCL Allure OS $7.00 for larger bottle if purchased in advance. You must have 'missed' my post above somewhere, DW says "no" to any shell fish for me. So let us cook to order (anything extravagant). Where, pray tell, did you get the notion that I, moi, yours truly, balks at paying a surcharge?  I tip more than the cost of most of the cabins in 'steerage', for good service. These posts are like Rorschach ink blots, many of you see what you want to see in them. My posts are cynical observations of on board life. I 'poke fun' of myself and the world around me. My misanthropism extends to daily views in the mirror as well.

"True contentment is not having everything, but in being satisfied with everything you have" Oscar Wilde

P.S. He also said " Saying what you really think can be a serious error, since one risks being misunderstood."

Edited by rattanchair
P.S.

Hell yes I would go and am going the week of Thanksgiving. I have had two cruises cancelled as a result of this "pandemic". Wont be missing my next one as I believe that is far enough out that the ships should be sailing. If a port is closed then I will do what I have done while cruising in hurricane season and the ports are closed, sit on the boat. A day on the boat is better than a day at the office or being stuck in my home like we ALL have been for the past 8 weeks. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Where, pray tell, did you get the notion that I, moi, yours truly, balks at paying a surcharge? 

Not at all. I think it's just plain chintzy of the cruise line that they charge for non-alcoholic beverages.

9 hours ago, clo said:

Not at all. I think it's just plain chintzy of the cruise line that they charge for non-alcoholic beverages.

Really? I can't say any place where beverages are free. No restaurants, shops, hotels etc. offer beverages for free here. 

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Really? I can't say any place where beverages are free. No restaurants, shops, hotels etc. offer beverages for free here. 

Every cruise line I've sailed with offers some beverages included with the fare- coffee, tea (hot or iced), milk, hot chocolate, some sort of bug juice. As for water I am perfectly fine drinking the water that they make on the ship (and which is offered at no additional charge) and the only time I will pay for bottled water is to take ashore for shore excursions.