Refund from NCL Canceled cruise

On 5/13/2020 at 3:31 PM, AK Dreaming said:

They keep saying it is taking so long because there are so many refunds to process.  If that were true some people should have at least started to receive funds  

I think that is one reason.  Another is that many are disputing it with credit card companies and it takes time to research and third and thus holding up the process more, I think they want to hold on to the money, just like the other cruise lines, for as long as they can.

Personally if someone cancels for any reason I want my money back, if any company attempts in anyway to delay what I class as a reasonable time, I just contact the CC company and get a charge back, Amex refunded 8 flights I had booked for next Thursday just yesterday, it’s not a big issue, all these people that claim credit card, airlines and cruise companies blackballing you, is complete rubbish.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Trimone said:

Personally if someone cancels for any reason I want my money back, if any company attempts in anyway to delay what I class as a reasonable time, I just contact the CC company and get a charge back, Amex refunded 8 flights I had booked for next Thursday just yesterday, it’s not a big issue, all these people that claim credit card, airlines and cruise companies blackballing you, is complete rubbish.

If you are in the UK your country has laws that actually protect consumers. In the US, not so much.

• Like 2

Submitted a claim (Bank of America) on May 6th, on May 7th i got back my deposit amount ($100), still waiting for the rest.  To be clear i had to submit two claims, one for the deposit and one for final payment, as the were paid on separate charges.

Edited by lefty2450

3 hours ago, AK Dreaming said:

Has anyone in the US successfully disputed with the CC company?

Yes. I used 2 cards ( amex + chase visa). AMEX made my disputed amount permanent. Waiting on Chase visa who gave me tempy credit

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AK Dreaming said:

We were paid in full $6300 for a May 10th NCL cruise. Filed for a refund with NCL on April 13. Filed a billing dispute with my credit card (USAA) about 10 days ago and got a full refund today. I don’t think NCL has paid up yet. The refund appears to come from our bank. 

18 hours ago, AK Dreaming said:

I disputed a cancelled cruise with Amex on 4/14/20. They refunded the entire amount in 2 days and my money was back in my checking account on 4/20. I don't understand what people are waiting for.

2 hours ago, Waquoit said:

I disputed a cancelled cruise with Amex on 4/14/20. They refunded the entire amount in 2 days and my money was back in my checking account on 4/20. I don't understand what people are waiting for.

Is there any penalty from NCL for disputing the amount?

4 hours ago, Sideways said:

We were paid in full $6300 for a May 10th NCL cruise. Filed for a refund with NCL on April 13. Filed a billing dispute with my credit card (USAA) about 10 days ago and got a full refund today. I don’t think NCL has paid up yet. The refund appears to come from our bank. 

I wish I was so lucky. I have a conditional credit on my account and my CITI Costco card is giving NCL until July 10 to respond.  I have already asked for a full cash refund from NCL and the "90 day" on it is right around July 10 so it feel like a bit of a run around from the credit card company. So... still waiting for cash refund for cruise that was cancelled on March 30th. 

1 hour ago, AK Dreaming said:

Is there any penalty from NCL for disputing the amount?

I have my money back. I haven't heard from NCL about being blackballed. I don't see any mechanism for a monetary penalty.

I have not really been following the discussions around NCL refunds since I did not have any NCL cruises cancelled during this time, but I have picked up that there's dissatisfaction with the timeliness of refunds.

I did have 2 Royal Caribbean cruises booked in July  as well as a Royal cruise in September and one in December.  I called Royal last Thursday (less than a week ago) to cancel them all.

I have received full refunds to my American Express card for all four cruises (some earlier than today, just got the last one today.)  So it doesn't seem that Royal is having the same issues as NCL?

I called Bank of America which branded my NCL Mastercard and they said it would take at least 60 days to get anything back and NCL would probably get the money to me faster??  Also, they cannot restore my points I used for an upgrade because they are working remotely at NCL.  Maybe when they get back to the office the refunds will come faster.

On 5/20/2020 at 10:49 AM, pcakes122 said:

I have not really been following the discussions around NCL refunds since I did not have any NCL cruises cancelled during this time, but I have picked up that there's dissatisfaction with the timeliness of refunds.

I did have 2 Royal Caribbean cruises booked in July  as well as a Royal cruise in September and one in December.  I called Royal last Thursday (less than a week ago) to cancel them all.

I have received full refunds to my American Express card for all four cruises (some earlier than today, just got the last one today.)  So it doesn't seem that Royal is having the same issues as NCL?

I wonder if Amex has anything to do with it. We got our refund in 4 days from NCL.

it was only 2K but I was pleased at how quickly it was credited to Amex.

Rep told me 90 days .

21 minutes ago, AK Dreaming said:

I called Bank of America which branded my NCL Mastercard and they said it would take at least 60 days to get anything back and NCL would probably get the money to me faster??  Also, they cannot restore my points I used for an upgrade because they are working remotely at NCL.  Maybe when they get back to the office the refunds will come faster.

I was one of the first batch of people who had a cruise cancelled by NCL. We were supposed to cruise March 22. I applied for the refund. Just checked my credit card accounts and have not received the refund yet. I am assuming it will not show up until around the 23rd of June. Still, I keep checking my cards every few days. I noticed your original post asked specifically about cruises NCL cancelled and not those cancelled by the customer. I am trying to be patient... I will post again once I receive the refund. Thank you for the info on the NCL card.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AK Dreaming said:

I called BofA yesterday concerning my NCL Mastercard refund status.  I received acknowledgement letters indicating they were researching my claims & will respond to me within 30 calendar days...I was told to check back in a week!!!  Meanwhile I haven’t received temporary credits on my credit card.  In the future I will use American Express instead of BofA NCL Mastercard... it appears others received better refund results with American Express.

21 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

I wonder if Amex has anything to do with it. We got our refund in 4 days from NCL.

it was only 2K but I was pleased at how quickly it was credited to Amex.

It must be AMEX. I had a similar experience, one short phone call and my money was back in my checking account in 4 business days. That's the one positive takeaway from this experience for me. AMEX for all my future travels.

Edited by Waquoit

I requested a refund for my April cruise April 13th and my June cruise May 7th and of course have not received anything.  I cancelled my September cruise a couple weeks ago and just received my deposit refunded to me today.  It seems they can pay those much faster??

2 hours ago, AK Dreaming said:

I requested a refund for my April cruise April 13th and my June cruise May 7th and of course have not received anything.  I cancelled my September cruise a couple weeks ago and just received my deposit refunded to me today.  It seems they can pay those much faster??

Yes, refunds for deposits seem to be processed normally.  They already have a system in place, so nothing to change on the technical end.  My theory is that there is an accounting reason, along with the IT issues that treats the deposits differently than full payments.

On 5/19/2020 at 9:07 AM, apple314 said:

I wish I was so lucky. I have a conditional credit on my account and my CITI Costco card is giving NCL until July 10 to respond.  I have already asked for a full cash refund from NCL and the "90 day" on it is right around July 10 so it feel like a bit of a run around from the credit card company. So... still waiting for cash refund for cruise that was cancelled on March 30th. 

Did you dispute the charge with Costco Visa?  We also have a CITI Visa Costco card.  Our April 17th cruise was cancelled by NCL  We did the online form requesting a refund on April 15, and of course NCL said it would take 90 days.  We disputed the charge on May 22 and we received a provisional credit on our Costco card for the full cost of the cruise.  Nobody can take that credit away from us unless NCL either gives us a refund after the fact, or they can prove that we received the service that we paid for.  

I think NCL would have eventually given us a refund at 90 days, but what if they don't?  At least this way, we are protected in case NCL delays this further, or goes bankrupt.  If people wait too long to dispute the charge with their credit card company, then they risk being locked out.  If too much time passes between the original charge, then you may not be able to dispute that charge.  If NCL is waiting 90 days to process a refund, I wonder if they are trying to get the clock to run out so that people no longer have the option to dispute the charges with their credit card company?

I had 4 separate payments with 2 different Chase cards for April 16th cruise, asked for a refund, now I am thinking I should contact my TA and have the FCC applied to a new cruise for Sept 2021.  

I will post if I am successful in reversing the refund for a credit.