Refund from NCL Canceled cruise

i was just about to call my bank to make a cc dispute.  i chosed the full refund option on april 20th for a cruise on may 11th that was cancelled.  i decided to wait until july 20th when the 90 day limit was up.  this was my thinking on june 26th.  but lo and behold when i woke up saturday morning june 27th all my money was on  my cc, boy was i surprised.  bank statement said it was received on june 25th.   this was strange because i did not see this on june 26th .  anyway i am a happy camper now.  i still not going on anymore cruises, i think i'm done now after thirty cruises.  things will never be the same as they used to be.  quit now while you are ahead.  check this out, i  bought my airfare on my own for departure and return.  i was able to get refunded the return fare only because the flight time changed over an hour.  it is a funny thing though the departure fare changed to a different flight but the correct time on may 11th.   on may 10th  I called the airline an explained that i have no reason to fly because the cruise was canceled.  they said that if i cannot fly then they can only offer a future air credit if i cancel the flight myself.  i told them that i am elderly and i am not cruising anymore in the future.  they said if i don't use it by 2022 then i lose it.   this i why i say quit while you are ahead

I got my points back for my June Getaway cruise and my refund for my April Breakaway cruise last week.  Now just waiting for my June Getaway refund.  Happy to see so much progress.  I cannot wait to cruise again, but I really want to see how the cruise lines will handle the new normal.

• 3 weeks later...

We just received a full refund for our cancelled Escape cruise that was to depart Copenhagen on June 7.  We requested the refund on May 7 and it appeared on our AmEx account yesterday.  This was part of a long trip with many "moving parts".  Of all the "players" Norwegian Air (no relation to NCL) and DFDS Ferries (Oslo to Copenhagen) were wonderful - prompt refunds and no attempts to mislead.  Still waiting on Swiss Air and TAP Portugal.  Swiss Air agreed to refund (after a feeble attempt to mislead) but we haven't seen it yet.  TAP has been the worst.  They refused to refund a flight they cancelled, tried to reinterpret EU regulations and redefine the word "refund" to suit themselves.  It was almost comical.  We had to do a charge back on them but the temporary credit will be permanent very soon since they don't have a leg to stand on.  All's well that ends well.  Out of trip that would have cost about $20K all in we will get back everything but one $70 deposit on a hotel and a couple of hundred dollars for 3rd party insurance.

Edited by Travelling2Some
addition

I applied for the refund May 7 and received my refund today (July13) for our cancelled June cruise to Alaska. Pretty pleased with NCL’s turnaround. Was not expecting it until 90 days had passed or later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was fortunate with refunds as well. I remember all of the doom and gloom posters that were adamant that NCL was broke and unable to make refunds.

I had my taxes and fee's refunded almost immediately with American airlines and my miles were returned to my account. British airlines was the slowest to refund, but did eventually follow through. Hotels pre and post cruise were also agreeable and refunded all deposits since the EU was on lock down. 

I opted for the bonus FCC on the second leg of my cancelled B2B and have booked a TA and B2B for next spring. Keeping my fingers crossed that a vaccine may be available by then and I will finally make it to Amsterdam. 

Best wishes for smooth sailings to my fellow CC members.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carraizo99 said:

I have waiting since March when we canceled our cruise in May and have not received my refund. Now they want to charge us 30% even when we canceled the trip in time. Totally dishonest company.

???  If you cancelled prior to March 7 and not eligible for POM, you would be assessed a penalty because you were beyond the final payment/cancellation period (120 days).  If you cancelled after March 7, you are only eligible for FCC.  Assuming a US booking, that's their standard cancellation policy.

I applied for my refund for a 19 April Panama Canal cruise on 13 April (the day the refunds opened).  I went through a travel agent so NCL won't tell me detail other than "it is being processed" and have told my travel agent that it is being "dealt with and requires finance division approval".  It's now 101 days.  (Gone off My NCL).

On 7/23/2020 at 3:26 PM, podgeandrodge said:

I applied for my refund for a 19 April Panama Canal cruise on 13 April (the day the refunds opened).  I went through a travel agent so NCL won't tell me detail other than "it is being processed" and have told my travel agent that it is being "dealt with and requires finance division approval".  It's now 101 days.  (Gone off My NCL).

Just my 2 cents but it would seem that your TA is responsible for getting more information for you.  I too had canceled that exact cruise for a refund then switched to an FCC.  Now my 2nd cruise cancelation form was submitted July 6th for the Aug 23rd sailing to British Isles by BOTH me and my TA  and I will report back when I get the refund not sure who will have access to it first me or my TA.

Edited by ISLABONITA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ISLABONITA said:

Just my 2 cents but it would seem that your TA is responsible for getting more information for you.  I too had canceled that exact cruise for a refund then switched to an FCC.  Now my 2nd cruise cancelation form was submitted July 6th for the Aug 23rd sailing to British Isles by BOTH me and my TA  and I will report back when I get the refund not sure who will have access to it first me or my TA.

So, today, my TA confirmed that they had received the full refund from NCL and would send to me, minus a €50 admin fee due to costs they incur (I don't mind, I'd say TA's are suffering too).  It's strange that there are different timelines to who gets what when but glad it's sorted.  I do have sympathy for NCL and other lines, I want them to survive so 100 days is worth it if that gives them time to sort out how to stay in business.  I'll be back cruising with them as soon as we, and they, can!

• Like 1

Weekend started well !   It took NCL exactly 79 days but I received a full refund today.   Somehow I'm rather pleased with them (LOL)  ....nice refund surprise while enjoying  a sunny Saturday morning coffee.   Since I booked through Costco and we had a 2-bdrm Haven for Alaska (June) I'll be able to shop at Costco for "free" for a year or so.    

On another note, sold my NCL stock at a nice profit  ...(a few free cruises worth)... stock sliding down again so I'll  try another round if it goes below 10.  

Really quite pleased with NCL at the moment.           

Edited by sr71_1

I applied for my refund for a April 19th Panama Canal cruise mid-March.  Kept getting different stories regarding refund....a couple of weeks, must wait until April 19th, mid-May, 90 days from cancelling, end of June... Finally, we just got the refund put on our credit card account a few days ago.  No email from NCL letting us know. Keep checking your credit card for it because when my husband called NCL again about the status the rep said nothing was done yet.  My husband then called our credit card to start the dispute process & found out it was already on the card.  

At any rate, we got it. Whew!  I was not one who was having a lot of faith in ever seeing it, though my husband was more optimistic.  Cruise lines, as well as most businesses, will be hard pressed to recover from this.  Delta gave a refund of the flight down.  AA a future credit which never showed on my account.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

NCL still hasn't gotten it together. Still getting the "call back next week" answer. But after 18 weeks I'm not sure that anyone is trying after I get off the phone. I know it isnt their fault the cruises were canceled but they seem to want to drag their feet on credits and refunds. 

OK , I feel better after getting that out....

23 minutes ago, Young and Restless said:

NCL still hasn't gotten it together. Still getting the "call back next week" answer. But after 18 weeks I'm not sure that anyone is trying after I get off the phone. I know it isnt their fault the cruises were canceled but they seem to want to drag their feet on credits and refunds. 

OK , I feel better after getting that out....

Hang in there... as I noted it took NCl 79 days (from the day I submitted my refund request) to the day my credit card was credited in full.    18 weeks ( 126 days) after refund form submission is way past the 90 days NCL committed - I'd be getting irritated with them too.    

On 8/4/2020 at 1:35 PM, sr71_1 said:

Hang in there... as I noted it took NCl 79 days (from the day I submitted my refund request) to the day my credit card was credited in full.    18 weeks ( 126 days) after refund form submission is way past the 90 days NCL committed - I'd be getting irritated with them too.    

Thanks for the encouragement, It would be great to talk to the same person , each time seems I have to start over at the beginning with each call.