Accessible in Venice

okpaddy

I'm looking for help in locating an accessible hotel in Venice. I have found several hotels that advertise as accessible, however there doesn't appear to be anyway to get to the hotel due to the bridges. Any positive suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you and stay safe.

P.S. I know Italy is closed for now, this request would be for summer 2021 if the world has returned to something more normal.

There is a website called "accessible Venice" that has a map showing accessible paths through the city. There are bridges on the paths. However, the bridges used have side ramps which do allow access. You just have to watch for delivery men using hand trucks and moms with strollers who also use the ramps. I found Venice much easier to get around than I expected, especially the vaparetto (sp?) routes which had excellent access. I had to avoid the taxi-like boats which all had steps. The other thing you could do is choose a hotel on the mainland and take the vaparetto to where you wish to go.

3 hours ago, katisdale said:

There is a website called "accessible Venice" that has a map showing accessible paths through the city. There are bridges on the paths. However, the bridges used have side ramps which do allow access. You just have to watch for delivery men using hand trucks and moms with strollers who also use the ramps. I found Venice much easier to get around than I expected, especially the vaparetto (sp?) routes which had excellent access. I had to avoid the taxi-like boats which all had steps. The other thing you could do is choose a hotel on the mainland and take the vaparetto to where you wish to go.

Thank you very much for the information. I was able to visit Venice several years ago during the fall and loved the city. I would like to return if I can manage the terrain. 

On 5/5/2020 at 6:05 PM, okpaddy said:

I'm looking for help in locating an accessible hotel in Venice. I have found several hotels that advertise as accessible, however there doesn't appear to be anyway to get to the hotel due to the bridges. Any positive suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you and stay safe.

P.S. I know Italy is closed for now, this request would be for summer 2021 if the world has returned to something more normal.

We stayed at the AC Hotel Venezia (part of Marriott) in November. Very easy to get to - its located on the Piazzale Roma so no bridges to get there. Piazzale Roma can be reached by taxi, bus or vaporetto. Its not as scenic as being right on a canal, but the accessibility makes up for it. You can catch a vaporetto to anywhere in Venice right across the street. The accessible room we stayed in was good with a large bathroom (my only complaint was that there wass a tight turn into the room from the hallway). You can try the Santa Chiara Hotel that is also located on Piazzale Roma, but I have not stayed there.

On 5/8/2020 at 12:43 AM, DUTRAVEL said:

We stayed at the AC Hotel Venezia (part of Marriott) in November. Very easy to get to - its located on the Piazzale Roma so no bridges to get there. Piazzale Roma can be reached by taxi, bus or vaporetto. Its not as scenic as being right on a canal, but the accessibility makes up for it. You can catch a vaporetto to anywhere in Venice right across the street. The accessible room we stayed in was good with a large bathroom (my only complaint was that there wass a tight turn into the room from the hallway). You can try the Santa Chiara Hotel that is also located on Piazzale Roma, but I have not stayed there.

Yes, there are a couple of hotels in the Piazzale Roma which are accessible. The airport bus also goes straight there. The accessible Venice website is from the Venice local authority.

You can travel all over Venice on the vaporetti for €1.50 which is for a journey up to 90 minutes, plus your companion travels free. The people mover is accessible and goes directly to the cruise port. The museums offer free entrance for disabled visitors and their companion, but you need to show proof of disability.

Very few of the bridges are accessible and you will need to plan your journey in advance. Venice is certainly a challenge for anybody with a disability, but it can be done.

Thank you all for the information, and helpful suggestions. I am hoping to stay nearby St Marks square, but am concerned about the water transportation. It sounds like the vaporetto maybe accessible. Thank you again 👍

Yes, the vaporetti are very accessible and the people who work on them were all extremely helpful and ask other passengers to move so you can fit in the wheelchair area. In fact, we found all the locals very willing to assist.

i had taken my small mobility scooter . My partner dismantled it a few times and took it across a couple of bridges bit by bit, but quite a few times young men would help him to carry it across. I can walk short distances so managed to walk across the bridges. We’d both been to Venice before and in those days I didn’t have mobility issues.

we were there last year for 3 days at the beginning of June. Even then it was very busy with tourists. Just have to wait and see what happens once there is international travel again.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:49 PM, okpaddy said:

Thank you all for the information, and helpful suggestions. I am hoping to stay nearby St Marks square, but am concerned about the water transportation. It sounds like the vaporetto maybe accessible. Thank you again 👍

The Vaporetto is accessible - the crew will help you and they have ramps they can put out. The Alilaguna water bus also states that it is accessible, but I have not personally taken one. There are also accessible water taxis, but these are very expensive. For any of these, you need to make sure there are no bridges between the hotel and where the boat lets you off.

• 1 month later...

I would also check out the Sage travel website. If you google it you’ll find it. They specialize in accessible travel in Europe and offer to book accessible hotels and tours. They can even provide accessible travel from airport.

We also took the airport bus - very easy. The person assisting us off the airplane even took us to the booth at the airport to buy the tickets and then out to the curb where the bus leaves from. 

On 7/5/2020 at 8:57 PM, shel003 said:

I would also check out the Sage travel website. If you google it you’ll find it. They specialize in accessible travel in Europe and offer to book accessible hotels and tours. They can even provide accessible travel from airport.

Thank you for the information

On 7/5/2020 at 9:06 PM, LondonTowner said:

The bus from the airport is accessible and operates about every 20 minutes and costs €8. No need for an overpriced transfer.we were the only 2 passengers on the bus.

On 7/6/2020 at 4:00 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

We also took the airport bus - very easy. The person assisting us off the airplane even took us to the booth at the airport to buy the tickets and then out to the curb where the bus leaves from. 

Thank you very much, this is most helpful.