Masks probably required

42 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

In Canada more people under 40 will die from hitting a moose with their car than will die from the C-virus.

Moose: 16 people per year

https://www.google.com/search?q=canada+death+rate+hittting+a+moose&rlz=1C1SQJL_enCA881CA881&oq=canada+death+rate+hittting+a+moose&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.8177j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Covid19 in three months: 4,992

https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+canada+deaths&rlz=1C1SQJL_enCA881CA881&oq=covid+canada+deaths&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.2813j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Tree_skier, you don't work for Trump or FoxNews, do you??

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

One of us has reading comprehension issues.  It very well could be me.  Where does your link show that 4,992 under the age of 40 have died?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Makes sense. There are more moose than people in Canada.😉

I'll go back into my igloo now... I have to stoke the fire.

True story... 1986. Expo is here in Vancouver. I was working at Le Meridien, one of the finer hotels in Vancouver in it's day.

3 ladies just arrived from Boston sit down at a table where I'm serving and begin to tell me that they need to go shopping for summer clothes because all they brought was parkas, sweaters, thermal clothes etc. They truly expected to see igloos and ice fields in the outer parts of the city. It was July. To this day I still cannot believe that conversation.

Another true story... I visited DisneyWorld and Epcott in the late 90's (I believe it was 97 or 98). The Canada Pavillion had a 1/2 hour movie that showed 29 min, 30 seconds of forests, snow, bears, igloos and ice.... the other 30 seconds were about 25 seconds of Toronto. Vancouver had a 5 sec flyover of Canada Place. I walked out of there so angry and loudly to my gf at the time so that every American around me understood that that movie was a joke and was not a representation of Canada.

Anyhow... back on topic. 🙃

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, KsucAts said:

One of us has reading comprehension issues.  It very well could be me.  Where does your link show that 4,992 under the age of 40 have died?

My comprehension issues. Didn't realize that being under 40 for purpose of this discussion is fundamental to cruising.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1107149/covid19-cases-age-distribution-canada/

31.87% deaths 0-39 years of age = 1,591.

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Another true story... I visited DisneyWorld and Epcott in the late 90's (I believe it was 97 or 98). The Canada Pavillion had a 1/2 hour movie that showed 29 min, 30 seconds of forests, snow, bears, igloos and ice.... the other 30 seconds were about 25 seconds of Toronto. Vancouver had a 5 sec flyover of Canada Place. I walked out of there so angry and loudly to my gf at the time so that every American around me understood that that movie was a joke and was not a representation of Canada.

So no truth to the rumor that Canadians pay for their cruises by trading beaver pelts and cod fish?

Sorry, I used to belong to a NHL message board forum that was 75% Canadian posters and a handful of NY Ranger (me), Bruin and Flyer fans....and a lone Duck fan (go figure). Anyway, spirited trash talk was actively encouraged. 

You'll have to excuse my manners, sometimes I forget where I am. 😄

Edited by HBE4
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

My comprehension issues. Didn't realize that being under 40 for purpose of this discussion is fundamental to cruising.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1107149/covid19-cases-age-distribution-canada/

31.87% deaths 0-39 years of age = 1,591.

Are you looking at the chart?  The chart is positive cases not deaths. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

So no truth to the rumor that Canadians pay for their cruises by trading beaver pelts and cod fish?

Lol! I enjoy the banter.. I took Tree-skiers post in fun. And I just realize I didn't put a smiley emoji when I quoted with the Fox News remark... my bad. I'm sincerely hoping to all that was obvious banter/sarcasm. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hazence said:

Are you looking at the chart?  The chart is positive cases not deaths. 

Ugh 😒 Apologies... I'm the covid-iot on this one. 1st link when googling "covid deaths by age Canada". My brain did not register "cases" when I opened the chart. My fault. 

Wow!!! Well, well, well...
https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/situation-coronavirus-in-quebec/#c51883

Tree_skier is correct... 0.2% of 4992 under 39 years of age = 10 people.

I had no idea these numbers were this low in Canada for younger people.

Edited by Hoopster95

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Lenny, no weight gain issues for me. I don't drink soft drinks but I'm a junk food junkie. Love my beer and wine also.  I must have a high metabolism. Plus I walk 7 miles everyday. Takes me 1.5 hours to do the 7 mile walk. Plus I play my drums everyday for about the same amount of time. Speaking of masks, I had to go to urgent care last Saturday. First time since CV that I was required to have my temperature taken and given a mask to wear and weighed. 

Dave,I have not had a beer or any other alcoholic beverage since 2003 when I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis.I have not been able to do a 7 mile walk since 2012.

I exercise at home several times a day.My wife takes me out to walk on sunny /non windy days.I cannot walk on my own but with her holding me I can walk anywhere from1/8 of a mile to 1/2 mile. We live in a condo and there is an outdoor walking/jogging track.My wife walks on her own about 4 miles a day and does video exercises .We wear masks always.

Glad that you are okay.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Again, wearing a mask doesn’t protect me. It would protect you from me, if I wore one. It doesn’t sound like you give a hoot for your fellow cruisers. 

Every day we all come in contact with people who have asymptomatic infections and could be exposed to whatever microbes they are harboring at the moment. Do we wear masks forever to protect others from ourselves? Do we wear them to protect ourselves from them? Is it only Corona that we concern ourselves with? What about Tuberculosis? Anyone coughing Mycobacterium into the air of the elevator you happen to be on? That scares me more than Corona. Maybe a little streptococcus for good measure though, granted, much easier to treat than TB. But certainly a nuisance to get while on vacation.  How far do we go and when, if ever, does it end or do we just protect ourselves from each other forever by covering our faces? Do people who are at higher risk for a bad outcome from Corona have any sense of duty to stay away from other people and cruise ships for awhile? I don't know the answer to the questions. 

This is what I think wearing a mask mostly does besides forcing me to rebreathe some of the air I exhale and dropping the pO2 level in my blood. It gives people the feeling that they have some control over Corona. That feeling of control reduces panic.  Imagine the reaction to politicians and the media proclaiming there is nothing you can do. So after scaring the crap out of people they come up with something you can do besides not getting too close to other people.  Maybe it helps a bit. It might help a bit for all kinds of illnesses.  It might just give you more reason to have your hands near your face because you are fiddling with the thing. The bottom line is the microbial world can be a dangerous and scary place where common microbes entering the wrong body can wreak havoc. But is hard to have an adequate discussion about this on a cruise message board. But I don't think not being pro-masks has anything to do with not giving a hoot about fellow cruisers.

• Like 11

33 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Every day we all come in contact with people who have asymptomatic infections and could be exposed to whatever microbes they are harboring at the moment. Do we wear masks forever to protect others from ourselves? Do we wear them to protect ourselves from them? Is it only Corona that we concern ourselves with? What about Tuberculosis? Anyone coughing Mycobacterium into the air of the elevator you happen to be on? That scares me more than Corona. Maybe a little streptococcus for good measure though, granted, much easier to treat than TB. But certainly a nuisance to get while on vacation.  How far do we go and when, if ever, does it end or do we just protect ourselves from each other forever by covering our faces? Do people who are at higher risk for a bad outcome from Corona have any sense of duty to stay away from other people and cruise ships for awhile? I don't know the answer to the questions. 

This is what I think wearing a mask mostly does besides forcing me to rebreathe some of the air I exhale and dropping the pO2 level in my blood. It gives people the feeling that they have some control over Corona. That feeling of control reduces panic.  Imagine the reaction to politicians and the media proclaiming there is nothing you can do. So after scaring the crap out of people they come up with something you can do besides not getting too close to other people.  Maybe it helps a bit. It might help a bit for all kinds of illnesses.  It might just give you more reason to have your hands near your face because you are fiddling with the thing. The bottom line is the microbial world can be a dangerous and scary place where common microbes entering the wrong body can wreak havoc. But is hard to have an adequate discussion about this on a cruise message board. But I don't think not being pro-masks has anything to do with not giving a hoot about fellow cruisers.

My Mayo trained physician daughter says exactly this.  Excellent post!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

This!

I could add to it but people are so scared now it doesnt matter. Stay in your homes and enjoy having no life. There is associated risk to getting out of your bed. Deal with it or just exist. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

But I don't think not being pro-masks has anything to do with not giving a hoot about fellow cruisers.

I’m not pro mask. I hate wearing them. We would probably not sail if required. If required, we wear them. Some stores are now requiring a mask worn. So we either wear it or don’t shop there. A cruise ship seems a lot more densely packed with people for an extended period of time. 

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Mine is Temple trained and I’ll raise you 2. 😇

Yes, and I believe yours is on the front lines in Miami. Very impressive. You should be very VERY proud.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Were you worried about getting on a ship because someone may have the flu?

I'm not because I get a flu shot every year and because the flu is a) far less infectious and b) less deadly.

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

In Canada more people under 40 will die from hitting a moose with their car than will die from the C-virus.

That's great if one is under 40. But the majority of Canadians are over that age.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, broberts said:

The death rate is not material to the dead or their loved ones. 

13 minutes ago, broberts said:

I'm not because I get a flu shot every year and because the flu is a) far less infectious and b) less deadly.

But the rate of infection and mortality is not material to the dead or their loved ones, right?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I say, I’d ride with the Devil. 

Let me know if he wears a mask.  Not worried about the helmet. 

4 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Odds increase slightly in NFLD, The Yukon and Northern Ontario. 😉

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

You forgot to add Genuine Saskatchewan Seal Skin Bindings. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Nope but I can read... 

I said deaths under 40

You must work for the CBC

EXmBodlXQAEppDs.jpeg

Edited by Tree_skier

4 hours ago, broberts said:

That's great if one is under 40. But the majority of Canadians are over that age.

Median age is 40.6

http://www.canada.com/Census+median+Canada/6694704/story.html

7 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Makes sense. There are more moose than people in Canada.😉

As a hunter I wish that was true... Alas, moose tags are distributed by lottery and I haven't gotten one in 5 years.