Masks probably required

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I wouldn't worry about these people. With all that's at stake right now for the cruiselines I'm guessing that passengers will be on a very short leash with major consequences regarding the use of Seaface. 

Sometimes the short leash works. Sometimes the cruise lines don't have the will to make it work.

CC reviews over the years have had numerous reliable accounts of unruly, hostile, drunk or high cruisers (often in groups) just crashing a whole vacation for the folks around them. Sometimes teens and early 20-somethings, sometimes quite a bit older.

Every so often, we even see news accounts or YouTube videos of whole groups getting disembarked at a port mid-cruise. 

And that's to be expected occasionally, I suppose. But in the past 20 years or so, we've seen an increase in "the rules don't apply to me" kind of behavior. Too often, Security is nowhere to be seen.

Now if that's been the case in regular times, you've got to wonder when happens when the already-enraged "I damned well got me my rights" crowd is told to wear masks on the way to dinner. Or for the walk back come the pool, or to shop. 

C'mom, half the time cruise lines struggle to get some people to wear more than flip-flops and shorts to the MDR. And how hard is to comply with the dress code - or refrain from shouted profanity on deck, or not grab three poolside loungers at 8 a.m.  & "claim" them in absentia until dinnertime? If Security can't consistently enforce any of that, do you really think they'll nail the mask problem?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

As an economist, I can justify basic income with one giant thing that will guarantee it will work and thus guarantee it will never happen.

If we guarantee everyone a basic income of say $2000 a month, and we end all government subsidies and all of the government workers that manage all of those subsidies.  IE, we easily pay for it.  Back in the day when I was in gradual school we called it a negative income tax, and that combined with a straight income tax rate, if you work you are not discouraged from working because the extra income doesn’t affect your government income.  So, there would be no reason or way to justify not working because you might lose financial aid.  Anyway, because it doesn’t bankrupt the system it will never happen because that is the point of what they are doing.  

JC

I'm not even going to pretend that I know the intricacies around basic income as the first time I heard of it was during the Democratic Circus, I mean Primary debates. We had some pilot project in some Northern communities in Ontario doing it but I believe it has been cancelled and I have no idea if it was successful or not. 

The world is kind of financially screwed for the next decade or so aren't they/we? As an economist do you see any way out of this financially speaking any time soon?

4 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I'm not even going to pretend that I know the intricacies around basic income as the first time I heard of it was during the Democratic Circus, I mean Primary debates. We had some pilot project in some Northern communities in Ontario doing it but I believe it has been cancelled and I have no idea if it was successful or not. 

The world is kind of financially screwed for the next decade or so aren't they/we? As an economist do you see any way out of this financially speaking any time soon?

Nope, just know that shutting down the economy is going to crush every government in existence, and crush anyone trying to get to a better life. 

Nobody has the will to make hard decisions, and cutting government will never happen so...  Nope.

jc

15 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

My wife and I both work for what are considered by our state “essential businesses”.  So, we haven’t been sitting at home all day and all night.  I need to fill my new Jeep Gladiator as I type.  So, now we work our regular day, but when the restaurants were closed, I would come home and cook for the next two hours making dinner for us and leftovers for lunch the next day.  After a couple of glasses of wine, I am falling asleep on the sofa watching bad TV by 9PM.  Then the alarm goes off at 5:25AM in the morning, and we repeat.  Today, I had my annual doctor visit and got one vein blown out by the lab tech, and so both of my arms have coban wrap on them.  So, going home at lunch time to let the dog out in the rain, I thought I would stop at Wendys and get one of those short supply hamburgers.  Pulled off the freeway and realized there was a traffic jam because cars were trying to get into their lot and it was overfilled with people with the same idea.  Went by turned around got back on the freeway and drove on home.  Let the dog out and made a p-nut butter sandwich.  

I don’t really have a problem with people who are sheltering in place (it is what it is), I do have a problem with people with guaranteed pay checks that I contribute to the payment of telling me and everyone else that we have to not work.  That we have to crash the economic system because then we can make the government take over with universal income and all other sorts of stupid economic plans to save people that we are not actually saving in the long run.  I am an economist by education and background.

My irritation at government officials is micro-sized compared to the irritation that rich spoiled news anchors tell me and everyone else that we must stay home, when they don’t.  Chris Cuomo comes to mind.  He has the disease and he doesn’t even follow the orders, and I must because I am not him.  That crap doesn’t work very well with me.

Sorry for the rant, back to regularly scheduled programming.

jc

Great post,  we're fortunate as well. I can still do  some of what I do remotely.  My work load is substantially reduced so I have way to much time on my hands and life has become very mundane. My income is reduced accordingly so it hurts but we're surviving.  Our worthless Prime Minister says that business' that don't implement a green climate change agenda won't receive any support and Provinces will be punished if there is an increase in cases and they have started the process of opening their economy. So my anger and disgust at government exceeds what I can post on CC without being banned or suspended.

If I see one more dopey tv/movie actor or musician on YouTube explaining how we are all this together while they frolic in their multi-million dollar mansion or singing some cringe version of "Imagine", I'm going to scream. News anchors/talking heads breathlessly predicting the apocalyptic demise of society if retail business' open up and begin to allow people to provide for themselves has just become almost comical. Let them miss two months of paychecks and see how they feel.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Our worthless Prime Minister

Nice seeing a Canadian bashing something other than the USA. 

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

So my anger and disgust at government exceeds what I can post on CC without being banned or suspended.

Good move on your part. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Great post,  we're fortunate as well. I can still do  some of what I do remotely.  My work load is substantially reduced so I have way to much time on my hands and life has become very mundane. My income is reduced accordingly so it hurts but we're surviving.  Our worthless Prime Minister says that business' that don't implement a green climate change agenda won't receive any support and Provinces will be punished if there is an increase in cases and they have started the process of opening their economy. So my anger and disgust at government exceeds what I can post on CC without being banned or suspended.

If I see one more dopey tv/movie actor or musician on YouTube explaining how we are all this together while they frolic in their multi-million dollar mansion or singing some cringe version of "Imagine", I'm going to scream. News anchors/talking heads breathlessly predicting the apocalyptic demise of society if retail business' open up and begin to allow people to provide for themselves has just become almost comical. Let them miss two months of paychecks and see how they feel.

If you ever make it to Atlanta, I'm buying you a beer.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Just an addition, thankfully most provinces are moving ahead with a measured and cautious approach to reopening in spite of what PM Skippy the part time Drama teacher says.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ToroAzul said:

If you ever make it to Atlanta, I'm buying you a beer.

I was actually supposed to be in Georgia this fall if it had not been for this virus.  That's obviously been shelved.  Hopefully our paths cross on ship sometime.

• Thanks 1

I was supposed to be in New Orleans this fall, guess where I wont be going this fall?😂

I call one of my sales guy Skippy, as he is photogenic and knows it, too.  

He was asking me for blessing to go with the wife and kids to Florida in June. I asked him why would he want to go to Florida now, and that HR would make him self-quarantine for 2 weeks, and if we are making sales calls then he would most likely have to use vacation time for the self-quarantine.  He said his wife, who is even more photogenic, wants to go If it is like it is now, ie he is working from home because none of my customers (that are sane) want a traveling sales person in their shops or offices then ok, you work from home instead of coming to the office two days a week (as we are rotating sales people in and out working from home).  The essential guys in the warehouse don’t get that luxury, they have to check material in and deliver it to the customer.  Somebody like me who is not essential but the sales people have to have someone to get blessings from gets to be here everyday all day. 🤣  Another single sales guy (millennial) has a trip to Jamaica Memorial Day and Mexico in late June (I don’t even want to think what all he will do while in Jamaica or Mexico), also wanted my opinion, and I told him the same thing.  I explained it like this.... in the age of COVID19 we are all sacrificing things.  You get to not have the following, Sports (he is my professional sports watcher at my expense), Bars, Sex, and travel.  I think he might have cried after our heart to heart.

jc

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Ships shouldn't be sailing if masks are required.  

If that's the case, what else shouldn't be done if masks are required?  Right now, masks are required pretty much everywhere to go about daily life.  

Masks are merely a precaution that could reduce the transmission if there happens to be a case onboard.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I don’t really have a problem with people who are sheltering in place (it is what it is), I do have a problem with people with guaranteed pay checks that I contribute to the payment of telling me and everyone else that we have to not work.

You don't have a "problem" with people sheltering in place where they are required to do so by law?  I would hope so.  As to people with "guaranteed pay checks," I can tell you that I have been working from home for two months now and continue to be paid my "guaranteed" salary but that doesn't mean I'm not working.

5 hours ago, L454S said:

You are selfish and entitled by attempting to force your fears and misgivings on me. You would be happier staying off a cruise ship till you feel safer.

You do realize wearing masks in public, as inconvenient as it may be, reduces the spread of this disease, right?  Like, if we'd been actually staying home and actually wearing masks in public the last two months, we could probably be a lot closer to resuming cruising (and normal everyday life) right now.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Interesting that politics are a permitted topic if it's not U.S. politics.

Maybe it's b/c even their political bickering is polite?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, D C said:

If that's the case, what else shouldn't be done if masks are required?  Right now, masks are required pretty much everywhere to go about daily life.  

Masks are merely a precaution that could reduce the transmission if there happens to be a case onboard.   

Agree 100% they aid in preventing spread.  But if this thing is still around in the fall (will be) then why would we even be cruising?  People are going to test positive on ships - it’s almost a guarantee.  Masks certainly will help but there’s more to it than masks alone.  I want to get back on board just as much as anyone but I want the cruise lines to re enter service responsibly and at the appropriate time.  It’s another PR disaster waiting to happen.  But, if the CDC allows it then I’ll stand by their knowledge and hop on board.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

I just don't get it.  This thing loves jails, nursing homes, and other confined spaces.  It's going to show up on a ship and the fall out is going to be worse this time around for cruise lines.  You think the media beat them up during the beginning of the outbreak, just wait until the PR disaster unfolds this time around!  What do you do?  Quarantine the entire ship?  Test everyone once a positive test occurs?  I want the country to reopen because this thing doesn't affect 99.xxx% of us ( I welcome you to prove me otherwise) but does that mean we should cruise and potentially risk spreading it all over again?  

This time they will have reporter and a camera person booked so they can cover the story from the inside.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JCDCA said:

You don't have a "problem" with people sheltering in place where they are required to do so by law?  I would hope so.  As to people with "guaranteed pay checks," I can tell you that I have been working from home for two months now and continue to be paid my "guaranteed" salary but that doesn't mean I'm not working.

DW has been working longer hours at home. Normally she has a 3 hour round trip commute. She is working through that and last night she had a Zoom meeting at 9:30pm.  She is usually in bed by 9:00. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JCDCA said:

You do realize wearing masks in public, as inconvenient as it may be, reduces the spread of this disease, right?  Like, if we'd been actually staying home and actually wearing masks in public the last two months, we could probably be a lot closer to resuming cruising (and normal everyday life) right now.  

No, I don't "realize" or agree with your rationalizations. If you wish to live in your "cell" and wear a mask, please do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, L454S said:

No, I don't "realize" or agree with your rationalizations. If you wish to live in your "cell" and wear a mask, please do.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson.

The problem with the science involved with medicine though is that what was true last year isn't necessarily true this year. In my next life I am coming back as a math teacher. The methods of teaching it may change but I will only have to learn the math part once.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The problem with the science involved with medicine though is that what was true last year isn't necessarily true this year. In my next life I am coming back as a math teacher. The methods of teaching it may change but I will only have to learn the math part once.

This was specifically relating to the fact that masks reduce the spread of Covid though. That won't change.