Masks probably required

13 hours ago, d9704011 said:

No, you did not miss it.  I believe he posted the first link regarding the risks of breathing too much carbon dioxide and the second link about wearing a facemask for too long and suffering hypoxia.... lack of oxygen being breathed due to a buildup in carbon dioxide due to recirculated (oxygen deprived) air in the facemask.

Correct.  Our community already have had two people pass out from wearing a mask.  One from just walking, and another from playing pickle ball in a mask (Required to wear one in order to play).  

I was dizzy at the grocery store today. We went through check out and I was all of a sudden dizzy and had to grab a pillar for a few seconds. My husband with the cart stopped to see if I was okay. And I said, just GO, so we can get outside. I won't wear a mask on vacation. I would rather stay home. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Coralc said:

I was dizzy at the grocery store today. We went through check out and I was all of a sudden dizzy and had to grab a pillar for a few seconds. My husband with the cart stopped to see if I was okay. And I said, just GO, so we can get outside. I won't wear a mask on vacation. I would rather stay home. 

That wasn’t hypoxia, it was shock at the price of fruits and vegetables that caused the dizziness.

Me neither, I’ll be staying home rather than cruising if wearing a mask is necessary.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Where I live our numbers are also dropping but we are led to believe that it's due to the warmer weather (and social distancing of course).  The VAST majority of all cases (and over 95% of deaths I believe) have been in seniors who are in long term care homes. They are still worried about possible second and third waves come fall and winter but if that doesn't happen I don't even want to speculate how rough it will be on our world leaders who have set us back decades financially speaking with these shutdowns. 

Let's pray  a second and third wave don't hit and all we have to contend with is dealing with the economy.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

How do medical personnel, who might be wearing a mask in an operating room for hours at a time, deal with hypoxia due to wearing a mask?

I can tell you that back in my residency days on surgical rotations I found myself very fatigued after long procedures.  Now, whether it was from the mask, standing in one place for a long period of time,  the mental processes, or a combination of all who knows. I do know it always felt relieving at the end to get that mask off of my face.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I can tell you that back in my residency days on surgical rotations I found myself very fatigued after long procedures.  Now, whether it was from the mask, standing in one place for a long period of time,  the mental processes, or a combination of all who knows. I do know it always felt relieving at the end to get that mask off of my face.

Thankfully my speciality doesn’t require it, but my sister hates wearing them for a few procedures so I don’t doubt your fatigue had some legit physical basis. There is some objective evidence suggesting that, among other things, masks reduce respiration and increase the work the heart must do (that is so even with the 3m cool flow masks, although to a lesser degree).

Hopefully creative minds will find some ways to create more breathable, effective masks - necessity being the mother of invention.   I don’t intend to wear a regular mask on a ship and I now have 4 additional ones booked so here’s to hope!

• Like 1

I'm wearing a mask all day.  The thinner surgical type aren't bad but I do think I'm more fatigued at the end of the day.  The N95 are a different story altogether.   You do have to breath thru them not around them.  Big difference and so far I haven't had to do it all day.  I would not consider it a vacation if we had to wear those type. However the homemade or regular surgical masks aren't bad.  You get used to it and forget you have them on. They aren't sealing out the germs just preventing your fallout from your exhalation. I think for some its claustrophobic which makes you think you can't breath.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I'm wearing a mask all day.  The thinner surgical type aren't bad but I do think I'm more fatigued at the end of the day.  The N95 are a different story altogether.   You do have to breath thru them not around them.  Big difference and so far I haven't had to do it all day.  I would not consider it a vacation if we had to wear those type. However the homemade or regular surgical masks aren't bad.  You get used to it and forget you have them on. They aren't sealing out the germs just preventing your fallout from your exhalation. I think for some its claustrophobic which makes you think you can't breath.

Absoltely, anxiety decreases respiration (and the perception of it). Anxiety would definitely not help the situation! 

Just now, AlohaLivin said:

Absoltely, anxiety decreases respiration (and the perception of it). Anxiety would definitely not help the situation! 

My husband also has to wear his all day (shipping in food services), and has gotten used to it.   I don't have to, fortunately.  I have asthma, and the reduced air I already get is reduced even more with a mask, and makes me a bit lightheaded if I'm moving around.  I can't wear for long periods of time, so wear them when I go into public places only.  

• Like 2

On 5/12/2020 at 6:15 PM, D C said:

If that's the case, what else shouldn't be done if masks are required?  Right now, masks are required pretty much everywhere to go about daily life.

In whose world? I have worn a mask only 1 single time in the last two months to go commissary shopping on base. And I still work two days a week because I am classified as essential. Masks are requested but not "required" in most places.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

In whose world? I have worn a mask only 1 single time in the last two months to go commissary shopping on base. And I still work two days a week because I am classified as essential. Masks are requested but not "required" in most places.

In the US you can tell who are in free states VS tyrannical states. 

• Like 6

I noticed something interesting about masks at the grocery store yesterday. Mask wearers in Ingles still definitely a minority...but I could swear they were mostly “affluent” shoppers.  We have a lot of the rural poor in this county.  In their clothes, in the food or lack of...in their baskets...a majority of the unmasked seemed to be in that disadvantaged category.

I volunteered at the local school here for several years and the number of children living below poverty level in that school was in the mid seventies percentage! I also volunteer with Family Promise due to a large number of homeless in our area. This was once a big textile manufacturing area but those jobs went overseas. Now this area has a contrast been rural poor...and a few gated communities on the lake.

If...you believe in masks...and are going to call people “selfish” for not wearing them...you’d better consider their financial circumstances. Maybe just affording food...especially at this time...is burden ENOUGH! If essential businesses demand masks, then  they need to supply them for free.

And, a comment on the “We are all in this together” ...virtue signaling ...about masks. Before you call anyone “selfish”...check if you have contributed to your local food bank, rescue mission, etc.  If you are lucky enough that your worst problem in this pandemic is not getting your cruise refund, and you are demeaning strangers for not wearing masks to keep YOU  safe...what have YOU done to keep them economically safe?

Have you donated food to your local food pantry, have you bought local restaurant gift certificates, paid the cleaning lady even if she can’t work for lack of sitter?  If you can’t get out and you have the budget to cruise, send a little of that now suspended budget to a local charity helping out those ECONOMICALLY affected in your community.

Because those of us with “essential jobs”...or comfortable retirements are NOT “all in this together” economically with those whose livelihoods have been decimated by this virus. If ...”we protect each other” is your mask mantra on here...make it your economic mantra too.

Have a great day. 😊

Edited by hazence
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, hazence said:

I noticed something interesting about masks at the grocery store yesterday. Mask wearers in Ingles still definitely a minority...but I could swear they were mostly “affluent” shoppers.  We have a lot of the rural poor in this county.  In their clothes, in the food or lack of...in their baskets...a majority of the unmasked seemed to be in that disadvantaged category.

I volunteered at the local school here for several years and the number of children living below poverty level in that school was in the mid seventies percentage! I also volunteer with Family Promise due to a large number of homeless in our area. This was once a big textile manufacturing area but those jobs went overseas. Now this area has a contrast been rural poor...and a few gated communities on the lake.

If...you believe in masks...and are going to call people “selfish” for not wearing them...you’d better consider their financial circumstances. Maybe just affording food...especially at this time...is burden ENOUGH! If essential businesses demand masks, then  they need to supply them for free.

And, a comment on the “We are all in this together” ...virtue signaling ...about masks. Before you call anyone “selfish”...check if you have contributed to your local food bank, rescue mission, etc.  If you are lucky enough that your worst problem in this pandemic is not getting your cruise refund, and you are demeaning strangers for not wearing masks to keep YOU  safe...what have YOU done to keep them economically safe?

Have you donated food to your local food pantry, have you bought local restaurant gift certificates, paid the cleaning lady even if she can’t work for lack of sitter?  If you can’t get out and you have the budget to cruise, send a little of that now suspended budget to a local charity helping out those ECONOMICALLY affected in your community.

Because those of us with “essential jobs”...or comfortable retirements are NOT “all in this together” economically with those whose livelihoods have been decimated by this virus. If ...”we protect each other” is your mask mantra on here...make it your economic mantra too.

Have a great day. 😊

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, hazence said:

Considering I see Mercedes and Lexus cars in our local food pantry lines (it stretches back to and onto the highway) I will never donate to them. No proof of need required to get the food and most of the people in line have seemingly made bad life choices (thousand dollar phones, tattoos all over the place, aforementioned fancy cars, etc...) and then are expecting others to provide for them (or they are just scammers).

There was an article in the Tampa Tribune about people going to multiple schools where they hand out free food that is supposedly for kids and they turn around and sell it for a profit instead of consuming it. Over 50 families caught doing this (Lord knows how many that haven't been caught and this is just in Tampa.....how many other places does this happen?).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ToroAzul said:

In the US you can tell who are in free states VS tyrannical states. 

An odd definition of tyrany: preventing people from harming others. 

4 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Considering I see Mercedes and Lexus cars in our local food pantry lines (it stretches back to and onto the highway) I will never donate to them. No proof of need required to get the food and most of the people in line have seemingly made bad life choices (thousand dollar phones, tattoos all over the place, aforementioned fancy cars, etc...) and then are expecting others to provide for them (or they are just scammers).

There was an article in the Tampa Tribune about people going to multiple schools where they hand out free food that is supposedly for kids and they turn around and sell it for a profit instead of consuming it. Over 50 families caught doing this (Lord knows how many that haven't been caught and this is just in Tampa.....how many other places does this happen?).

Great reasoning, don't help the needy because a few people might be or appear to be taking advantage.

• Like 4

Restaurants here are open for indoor seating now, everything was single-use/disposable, each table that was used had an empty table on either side, server wore gloves but no mask. All windows and doors were open. We felt comfortable.