Masks probably required

Here’s some stats from the two schools my neighborhood supports...both financially and with on hands volunteering.  My wonderful neighbor wrote the winning grant that bought Chrome books for every school, enough that each child accessed one in class.  Free dinners were then held, to help the parents learn computer skills.

These kids are not sewing masks...they are planting much needed gardens. There is no extra money for fabric, thread, sewing machines. There are NOT all the masks HERE for anyone who wants them.  These are not selfish people...they are just trying to survive the other killer part of this pandemic...the economic one.

Most of the parents work harder than I can describe. They also show up at school to try to see that their kids have a better life. It’s not their fault that all the good paying mill jobs are now gone...closed as business moved overseas. They make do with low paying service jobs. I cringe when multi millionaire politicians brag about destroying jobs...an entire industry...and the fix is “Learn to code, Man.”  Fifty years old...maybe a high school degree...learn to code?  And really all these high tech jobs will suddenly move HERE?

P+++++ Elementary School – celebrated 150th anniversary in 2018 

556 students in Pre-K through 5th Grade

68% of students in poverty (TANF, Medicaid, SNAP, foster child or homeless)

22:1 Student-Teacher Ratio

15.9% of students have a disability

8.2% of students are in a gifted and talented programs

H+++++Elementary School 

485 students in Pre-K through 5th grade

75% of students in poverty (TANF, Medicaid, SNAP, foster child or homeless)

19:1 Student-Teacher Ratio

H****Elementary serves the School District of P**** County as the site for students with special needs requiring Orthopedic and Learning Challenged self-contained classes

7.3% of students are in a gifted and talented programs

Edited by hazence

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

Fine with me. I will wear a speedo on my head if that will get me on a ship. 😷

Most guys who wear them would look better with it on their heads than where they typically have it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Agree.

If cruising returns with the same basic product we've enjoyed previously, with reasonable safety protocol,   I am there.

Otherwise, have enough memories of 1200+ days at sea, all 7 continents and dozens of close friendships to last a lifetime.  If we never are able to sail a day again, of absolutely no consequence.

I'm fairly confident we will one day. I just hope in 400 days we sail.....

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 11:12 AM, Computer Nerd said:

Considering I see Mercedes and Lexus cars in our local food pantry lines (it stretches back to and onto the highway) I will never donate to them. No proof of need required to get the food and most of the people in line have seemingly made bad life choices (thousand dollar phones, tattoos all over the place, aforementioned fancy cars, etc...) and then are expecting others to provide for them (or they are just scammers).

There was an article in the Tampa Tribune about people going to multiple schools where they hand out free food that is supposedly for kids and they turn around and sell it for a profit instead of consuming it. Over 50 families caught doing this (Lord knows how many that haven't been caught and this is just in Tampa.....how many other places does this happen?).

Please show me this article.  I looked for it and see no hint of it.

27 minutes ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

Would post a link, but not sure with rules and you will get more info if you google

Florida School District Changes Free Meal 

Anticipating Tim Dorsey will have some fun with this story in his next novel.

15 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Please show me this article.  I looked for it and see no hint of it.

The article I found online is from ABC. Here you go.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-hillsborough/district-runs-out-of-free-food-for-students-after-people-visit-multiple-sites-sell-food-for-profit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

in regards to the original post, i really hope the cruise lines dont follow through with requiring masks.  Last weekend was the first time i wore a mask for any significant amount of time when we went to a few stores that reopened and it was not fun.  Hot, had a hard time breathing at times,  and felt a little light headed.  im in relatively good health and under 50 so age and health didn't factor into that experience.  I understand that they may not have a choice, but to think thats not going to affect my cruise experience is wishful thinking.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, 20165 said:

in regards to the original post, i really hope the cruise lines dont follow through with requiring masks.  Last weekend was the first time i wore a mask for any significant amount of time when we went to a few stores that reopened and it was not fun.  Hot, had a hard time breathing at times,  and felt a little light headed.  im in relatively good health and under 50 so age and health didn't factor into that experience.  I understand that they may not have a choice, but to think thats not going to affect my cruise experience is wishful thinking.

What if you happen to be standing or sitting next to a person who has the virus and just feels the same way as you ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 20165 said:

I don't understand that.  I have worn a mask for many weeks every time we go out.  Breathing is slightly reduced but have never felt light headed.  And I have both COPD and emphysema.  You may be in relatively good health and under 50, but with those symptoms I would  have my respiratory system checked.  Especially the light headedness.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

What if you happen to be standing or sitting next to a person who has the virus and just feels the same way as you ?

i dont understand??  I never said i wasnt going to wear the mask, just that it was not comfortable for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ECCruise said:

I don't understand that.  I have worn a mask for many weeks every time we go out.  Breathing is slightly reduced but have never felt light headed.  And I have both COPD and emphysema.  You may be in relatively good health and under 50, but with those symptoms I would  have my respiratory system checked.  Especially the light headedness.

Funny thing about living organisms, they don't all respond the same way to external stimuli or environmental changes. Just because someone responds differently from you doesn't mean there is something wrong with them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Funny thing about living organisms, they don't all respond the same way to external stimuli or environmental changes. Just because someone responds differently from you doesn't mean there is something wrong with them.

Didn't say there was anything wrong with them.

Said that if a mask worn for a very short period of time causes "light headedness" at under age 50 might want to have it checked.  Would be crazy if you didn't.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ECCruise said:

Didn't say there was anything wrong with them.

Said that if a mask worn for a very short period of time causes "light headedness" at under age 50 might want to have it checked.  Would be crazy if you didn't.

I am sure the concern and medical advice was appreciated.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I am sure the concern and medical advice was appreciated.

Thanks for your snide comment and your medical advice, but as a COPD and emphysema patient over 20 years older than the poster I commented to and who hiked 3 miles yesterday in the mountains with a mask and had not a lick of light headedness, thought I might give a perspective from someone with respiratory disease.

But carry on. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

What about it?

Did you read about the guy in Fla who chose not to wear a mask ? It was on line tioday.

His wife is on a ventilator and may not survive.He has Covid-19 too.

I have a niece who is an MD in NY.She believes that if 80 percent of the population began wearing masks in March the disease would not be as horrific as it is now.

My best friend died from Covid-19 on April 4.He was in great health and chose not to wear a mask.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Thanks for your snide comment and your medical advice, but as a COPD and emphysema patient over 20 years older than the poster I commented to and who hiked 3 miles yesterday in the mountains with a mask and had not a lick of light headedness, thought I might give a perspective from someone with respiratory disease.

But carry on. 

Just an FYI you are talking to a doctor.

JC

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Just an FYI you are talking to a doctor.

JC

Which has zero bearing on my original thought.

I only said that a healthy person, under the age of 50 who feels light headed after wearing a mask for a limited time and performing non stressful tasks may want to consult a physician.

Why an MD would challenge that with the contention that it  "doesn't mean there is something wrong with them" just completely confused me.  If that person does have an issue (and neither of us know) then that attitude could likely cause them to think that nothing was wrong with them and not consult a professional.  Nothing more than that. 

I DO suffer from respiratory disease and thought that personal experience might help someone.

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Did you read about the guy in Fla who chose not to wear a mask ? It was on line tioday.

His wife is on a ventilator and may not survive.He has Covid-19 too.

I have a niece who is an MD in NY.She believes that if 80 percent of the population began wearing masks in March the disease would not be as horrific as it is now.

My best friend died from Covid-19 on April 4.He was in great health and chose not to wear a mask.

So you are saying wearing a mask will help prevent you from contacting the Virus?  Any old mask such as the cloth masks they are promoting? There are masks, and then there are masks.

The masks that help you prevent contracting the virus are scarce and unavailable to the public.

The masks that most people are wearing, their only use is that if you should sneeze, cough, it will prevent the spraying of droplets to other people.

President Trump has been criticized for not wearing a mask...well if everyone around him is wearing one, then......also if you are not in the vicinity of other people then a mask is not needed.
I witnessed my neighbor last weekend mowing his lawn, all by his lonesome, wearing a mask....to each their own.

I am an Essential healthcare professional, and come in contact with medically involved people everyday (not necessarily covid-19) and we are given a portion of masks to use once a week...masks you cannot get on amazon or anywhere else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

Which has zero bearing on my original thought.

I only said that a healthy person, under the age of 50 who feels light headed after wearing a mask for a limited time and performing non stressful tasks may want to consult a physician.

Why an MD would challenge that with the contention that it  "doesn't mean there is something wrong with them" just completely confused me.  If that person does have an issue (and neither of us know) then that attitude could likely cause them to think that nothing was wrong with them and not consult a professional.  Nothing more than that. 

I DO suffer from respiratory disease and thought that personal experience might help someone.

for the record, you were responding to my post and i do not have any respiratory issues, or at least as of my last checkup last year.  I was simply stating how uncomfortable i felt in the mask and was feeling a little light headed toward the end of the day. Irregardless to the reason why, my point was wearing a mask would not make for an enjoyable cruise for me and i hope RCL figures out an alternative way of keeping everyone safe.

On 5/17/2020 at 11:26 PM, RETNAVY1996 said:

Would post a link, but not sure with rules and you will get more info if you google

Florida School District Changes Free Meal 

I’ve seen the articles as well. 

Not only food banks but places giving away PPE (masks) and people selling them on FB. 

1 hour ago, B-52 said:

So you are saying wearing a mask will help prevent you from contacting the Virus?  Any old mask such as the cloth masks they are promoting? There are masks, and then there are masks.

The masks that help you prevent contracting the virus are scarce and unavailable to the public.

The masks that most people are wearing, their only use is that if you should sneeze, cough, it will prevent the spraying of droplets to other people.

President Trump has been criticized for not wearing a mask...well if everyone around him is wearing one, then......also if you are not in the vicinity of other people then a mask is not needed.
I witnessed my neighbor last weekend mowing his lawn, all by his lonesome, wearing a mask....to each their own.

I am an Essential healthcare professional, and come in contact with medically involved people everyday (not necessarily covid-19) and we are given a portion of masks to use once a week...masks you cannot get on amazon or anywhere else.

My wife is a retired healthcare professional and I assume the masks we are using are approved masks because we both have health issues and would not otherwise be able to leave our home for walks.

31 minutes ago, 20165 said:

for the record, you were responding to my post and i do not have any respiratory issues, or at least as of my last checkup last year.  I was simply stating how uncomfortable i felt in the mask and was feeling a little light headed toward the end of the day. Irregardless to the reason why, my point was wearing a mask would not make for an enjoyable cruise for me and i hope RCL figures out an alternative way of keeping everyone safe.

I agree- I am healthy & must wear a mask at the grocery store- by the end of my trip I am hot! and very happy to be heading outside to my car to take off my mask. I was trying to just do one grocery trip every two weeks. It was taking to much time in the store wearing the mask and I did start to get anxious. So I now cut my list to necessities and go every week- it seems to be working much better for me 🙂 

I don't believe wearing a mask on a cruise vacation is going to work for me.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TLG40 said:

I agree- I am healthy & must wear a mask at the grocery store- by the end of my trip I am hot! and very happy to be heading outside to my car to take off my mask. I was trying to just do one grocery trip every two weeks. It was taking to much time in the store wearing the mask and I did start to get anxious. So I now cut my list to necessities and go every week- it seems to be working much better for me 🙂 

I don't believe wearing a mask on a cruise vacation is going to work for me.

I wish I was healthy enough to go to a grocery store.