Masks probably required

22 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Obey what? Recommendations are not lawful orders.

It is indeed sad the state of some countries the absolute lack of interest to show solidarity.   Stores or planes or places that say mask required are now being challenged across the board in the name of what?

In times of national or human crisis we often see people rise to the good and unite to fight for a common cause.  In this pandemic we see a huge level of behavior that is neither unifying but instead divisive.  At least in the US at the national level there have been no leaders or statesmen and any leader that has tried to do right and balanced has been derided by the opposition.

Today I was at Costco, it was refreshing to see 100%  people in masks, and actually you could see the smile/twinkle in a few as I smiled out of my mask at them 😉

Look at the first couple  pictures below, what I see isn't submission or lack of freedom or weak sheep who blindly follow in submission.  I see solidarity and optimism that united a country can overcome move forward with some road to recovery. 

And look at the   third / fourth  picture, to wear a mask or not isn't the reason a church isn't open, why people can't work etc. the whole mask thing is so sad what it has been twisted to.  

I ask is it better at this trying time to protest or rise in solidarity and get thru this as fast as we can with the fewest lost of jobs and lifes and then we can get back to our football games and cruising and of course protesting, LOL.

MW-IC394_hk0316_20200316193132_ZG.jpg

d31822673f62412c83781cc40ff94549_8.jpg

nomask.jpg

_112053965_gettyimages-1211398264.jpg

Edited by chipmaster
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, hazence said:

Well, the CDC has quietly pulled back on another of its protocols. Remember when masks weren’t necessary...then they were. 

Well, now “infection from surfaces“ is being significantly downplayed. The more they learn, the less we seem to have to fear. 

But haven’t we had fun these months wiping down the mail, swabbing every canned vegetable with Lysol wipes and fearing every Amazon delivery! Good Times, CDC!  Good times! 

But bodes well for cruise lines. Constant sanitizing of surfaces by crew in hazmat suits may not be necessary after all.

“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has updated its guidelines to stress that the coronavirus "does not spread easily" on contaminated surfaces. 

Yahoo News noted the updates on Tuesday and said health officials had previously warned, “The virus could be transmitted through infected respiratory droplets and by touching infected surfaces and then touching your nose, mouth, and possibly your eyes.” The CDC guidelines now say, "The virus spreads easily between people" but not "from touching surfaces or objects," "from animals to people," or "from people to animals."

The change comes after a German virologist leading the response to the country’s worst-hit areas said in April that he hadn't found evidence the virus could live on surfaces. Dr. Hendrik Streeck reported that a team investigated the home of an infected family and found that it "did not have any live virus on any surface." He told German TV, "There are no proven infections while shopping or at the hairdresser.”

"The virus spreads in other places: the party in Ischgl, the club in Berlin, the football game in Bergamo," he said. "We know it's not a smear infection that is transmitted by touching objects, but that close dancing and exuberant celebrations have led to infection

Yup just wear masks, LOL that is going well in the US

6 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Yup just wear masks, LOL that is going well in the US

It is going VERY well in my home state. Want to compare data? Hers the last time I checked...a few days ago.  How are you doing where you live?

https://www.scdhec.gov/sites/default/files/media/document/SC_2017-18_End_of_Season_Flu_Report.pdf

“The statewide cumulative influenza- associated hospitalization rate and influenza- associated mortality rate during this season was 90.5 and 5.8 per 100,000, respectively. Individuals aged 65 and older were most afflicted this season, accounting for 57% of all influenza-associated hospitalizations and 72% of all influenza-associated deaths. A total of 4,489 hospitalizations and 289 deaths were reported.”

So....4489 over-all hospitalizations in 2017-2018

434 hospitalized  2 days ago in SC....right now..in fairness not a cumulative number.

But look at deaths:

https://www.wltx.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/dhec/101-615141a9-cfd3-43bc-98a1-79c423d7f890

289 deaths in 2017-18 flu season 

380 deaths...to date from COVID ...of these 107 in nursing homes

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/09/us/coronavirus-cases-nursing-homes-us.html

So if we’d better protected the most vulnerable in nursing homes...our totals would be very close to the flu season of 2017-18...without destroying  the economy, closing schools, and putting people under lockdown.

By the way, have you had your income STOP, lost your business, suffered significant economical hardship? Those people  protesting fear how they will keep their homes, feed their families.

Let’s not have such selective empathy.

Edited by hazence
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, hazence said:

It is going VERY well in my home state. Want to compare data? Hers the last time I checked...a few days ago.  How are you doing where you live?

https://www.scdhec.gov/sites/default/files/media/document/SC_2017-18_End_of_Season_Flu_Report.pdf

“The statewide cumulative influenza- associated hospitalization rate and influenza- associated mortality rate during this season was 90.5 and 5.8 per 100,000, respectively. Individuals aged 65 and older were most afflicted this season, accounting for 57% of all influenza-associated hospitalizations and 72% of all influenza-associated deaths. A total of 4,489 hospitalizations and 289 deaths were reported.”

434 hospitalized  2 days ago in SC....right now..in fairness not a cumulative number.

But look at deaths:

https://www.wltx.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/dhec/101-615141a9-cfd3-43bc-98a1-79c423d7f890

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/09/us/coronavirus-cases-nursing-homes-us.html

So if we’d better protected the most vulnerable in nursing homes...our totals would be very close to the flu season of 2017-18...without destroying  the economy, closing schools, and putting people under lockdown.

By the way, have you had your income STOP, lost your business, suffered significant economical hardship? Those people  protesting fear how they will keep their homes, feed their families.

If you read some of my other posts, I'm a believer we should have NEVER closed anything for as long as we did.  What leaders failed to do was every clearly use the time shutdown to formulate a clear open as soon as you can strategy.  

Instead they kept moving the goalposts to places that were never realistic in what they were setup with.

The open versus closed was and always had been a false choice in March.   Perhaps if we had been wiser in January the outcome could have been different.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

100,000 people die on a daily basis in this world for a multitude of reasons. One day it will be my turn and yours as well. IMO, seeing that you escaped almost certain death at one point in your life (and lost a friend as well) I would think you would want to ensure you live life to the fullest but that's just my point of view. There are so many ways one can be killed that it isn't even funny and there is no way to protect yourself from every danger in this world. I have no problem with you living your life the way you see fit without interference from others but I expect the same courtesy as well. When people (in general) start mocking others for not wearing a mask (or whatever) they are not showing that courtesy.

I totally disagree with your point of view ,however,I believe that if we tossed this back and forth you will not change your mind .Therefore,I shall end this conversation politely wishing that you and your loved ones stay safe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chipmaster said:

It is indeed sad the state of some countries the absolute lack of interest to show solidarity.   Stores or planes or places that say mask required are now being challenged across the board in the name of what?

In times of national or human crisis we often see people rise to the good and unite to fight for a common cause.  In this pandemic we see a huge level of behavior that is neither unifying but instead divisive.  At least in the US at the national level there have been no leaders or statesmen and any leader that has tried to do right and balanced has been derided by the opposition.

Today I was at Costco, it was refreshing to see 100%  people in masks, and actually you could see the smile/twinkle in a few as I smiled out of my mask at them 😉

Look at the first couple  pictures below, what I see isn't submission or lack of freedom or weak sheep who blindly follow in submission.  I see solidarity and optimism that united a country can overcome move forward with some road to recovery. 

And look at the   third / fourth  picture, to wear a mask or not isn't the reason a church isn't open, why people can't work etc. the whole mask thing is so sad what it has been twisted to.  

I ask is it better at this trying time to protest or rise in solidarity and get thru this as fast as we can with the fewest lost of jobs and lifes and then we can get back to our football games and cruising and of course protesting, LOL.

The same people begging for solidarity now are most likely the sames ones protesting at Trump rally's, college campuses, and Kent State. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I totally disagree with your point of view ,however,I believe that if we tossed this back and forth you will not change your mind .Therefore,I shall end this conversation politely wishing that you and your loved ones stay safe.

I would no more change my mind than you would change yours. Wish you and your loved ones well also.

7 hours ago, ECCruise said:

One of the many reasons that requiring masks on cruise ships will be a nightmare.  Way too many nuts out there equating requests by private companies (like no shirt/no shoes/no service)  as anti-freedom.  This happened days ago in Colorado.  Wouldn't be a firearm on a ship but....

Waffle House Cook Shot in Colorado when customer told mask was required.

Yeah, those nuts are who we need to worry about.  We never need to worry about the gangbangers shooting each other or anyone else in the way.  Or the 10s of thousands of felons recently released from prison, because we know they were all innocent.  Yeah, it is those freedom loving nuts we gotta worry about.  Yeah.. sure.🙄

jc

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Yeah, those nuts are who we need to worry about.  We never need to worry about the gangbangers shooting each other or anyone else in the way.  Or the 10s of thousands of felons recently released from prison, because we know they were all innocent.  Yeah, it is those freedom loving nuts we gotta worry about.  Yeah.. sure.🙄

jc

Don't plan to see your gangbangers or felons on a cruise ship. Do plan to see people refusing to wear required masks though. 

the-point-gif-5.gif

7 hours ago, hazence said:

380 deaths...to date from COVID

Actually, as of this writing, SC is up to 407 covid-19 deaths, about 40% higher than an entire flu season, in a much shorter period of time.

Thanks to the reopening, the estimated 700 deaths by Aug. has been upped to 1,100.  That's  280% more cv deaths than died of the flu. Stunning number for sure.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/south-carolina/articles/2020-05-05/predicted-sc-covid-19-deaths-rise-as-more-reopening-debated

"McMaster, a Republican, acknowledged the desire of businesses to get back to making money and people to get out of their homes. During his introductory remarks Tuesday at his Accelerate SC committee, he said he’s balancing those wishes with a need to stop the virus from spreading rapidly again

“I get letters from ladies that are dying to go to the beauty parlor. Of course, we don't want them to die when they go to the beauty parlor,” the governor said."

Interesting to see what just a one week delay in lock down means.  36,000 lives could have been saved across the country if social distancing measures were enacted 1 week earlier back in March. 54,000 if enacted 2 weeks earlier.  54,000 people in 2 weeks. Just to put that number into perspective, 58,000 US soldiers died in 2 decades of fighting in Vietnam.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/us/coronavirus-cases-deaths.html

But hey, at least for 2 extra weeks, ladies were able to go to the beauty parlor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Actually, as of this writing, SC is up to 407 covid-19 deaths, about 40% higher than an entire flu season, in a much shorter period of time.

Thanks to the reopening, the estimated 700 deaths by Aug. has been upped to 1,100.  That's  280% more cv deaths than died of the flu. Stunning number for sure.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/south-carolina/articles/2020-05-05/predicted-sc-covid-19-deaths-rise-as-more-reopening-debated

"McMaster, a Republican, acknowledged the desire of businesses to get back to making money and people to get out of their homes. During his introductory remarks Tuesday at his Accelerate SC committee, he said he’s balancing those wishes with a need to stop the virus from spreading rapidly again

“I get letters from ladies that are dying to go to the beauty parlor. Of course, we don't want them to die when they go to the beauty parlor,” the governor said."

Interesting to see what just a one week delay in lock down means.  36,000 lives could have been saved across the country if social distancing measures were enacted 1 week earlier back in March. 54,000 if enacted 2 weeks earlier.  54,000 people in 2 weeks. Just to put that number into perspective, 58,000 US soldiers died in 2 decades of fighting in Vietnam.

But hey, at least for 2 extra weeks, ladies were able to go to the beauty parlor

So people are dying to get re-opened? Literally? If so, I guess it's good for them. Being it's a personal choice, their body and all.  

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Unfortunately the issue whether to open up...or not...seems to have devolved into a political debate. This morning the New York Post makes the case for reopening...but the NYTimes, as you cited, pushes back.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/20/end-new-york-citys-lockdown-now/

I do take note of the word “estimated”...that means somebody is guessing. The NYTimes article “estimates” or guesses in reverse. Did they run editorials daily in the time frame they are citing...urging shutdown? Social distancing? I’d like to see them if they did. I mean the Times has a powerful international voice...so if they hopefully they were using that powerful voice to demand these things in those periods...otherwise they really haven’t any room to criticize anyone else.

Good news for you and I though. Those states that elected red state governors are opening up our states. Those that elected blue state governors...or mayors like DeBlasio...are taking a different path. So you and I are both getting what we want. I organize a monthly social event at our Club finally starting up in June. It has sold out immediately. We are out on the lake, we are socializing in our homes with neighbors. I have had my pedicure and next week, the aging Rapunzel shall have her golden hair finally lobbed off to a more appropriate length.,

You, however, are perfectly able to continue all protocols in your blue state that make you feel comfortable. Just remember not to go to those dangerous NYC beaches, De Blasio says that they might kill you but Long Island beaches are a-okay. LOL. And remember, you are safe in those crowded Walmart’s but not in church! 

As for the majority of the media coverage...I agree with Governor DeSantis. Where’s the balance...you know...if we were not politicized...maybe we’d find the correct balance that would be best for all of us.

“Wait two weeks!” the media screamed eight weeks ago....and it never happened.” “Wait two weeks...Florida death rates will soar!” “Wait,two weeks!”  Well, it’s been EIGHT weeks.”

Only 36 deaths...in Jacksonville and they opened their beaches weeks ago!

D699754B-0116-4FE3-B829-32CC8FC6CA27.jpeg

Edited by hazence

15 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

So people are dying to get re-opened? Literally? If so, I guess it's good for them. Being it's a personal choice, their body and all.  

Actually that isn't true, before they die they walk around spreading it, perhaps right on you at your local bar, beach, shopping mall.

Take a look at the recent study of gatherings and the spreading.    

• Like 2

On 5/20/2020 at 4:57 PM, hazence said:

But look at deaths:

Thanks for common sense and actual evidence... Of course, such is not welcome much any more...

On 5/7/2020 at 5:12 AM, Ocean Boy said:

The virus seems to be sensitive to sunlight and infectious disease typically has higher transmission rates in inside rather than outside environments so they close down the beaches.

Government logic. . .

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 7:56 PM, John&LaLa said:

I kinda remember being required to have proof of vaccination to enroll my kids in school.

Ah, the good old days

You don't have to get a small pox vaccine for a reason.  They do have a supply of the small pox vaccine in case of an "event", but most people do not get it due to the side effects.  There are many other examples of when medicine caused problems.  I'm sure a lot of people on here are old enough to know about Thalidomide.   I don't blame people for not wanting to get a brand new, rushed vaccine. 

• Like 3

On 5/8/2020 at 12:40 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

Other than N95 type masks, masks are worn to protect those around you and not the wearer. 

Ok.  I need someone to explain to me how a mask cannot go both ways?  If the virus cannot get out, then how can it get in?  On the flip side, if it can get in (therefore not protecting me), how can it not get out? 

Also, everyone who is wearing a cloth mask needs to realize that the holes in the cloth are bigger than the virus.  The virus can still get through.  

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 12:35 PM, HBE4 said:

Thank you.

This pretty much proves that the lock downs and social distancing rules have worked.  Not sure how some can still deny it.

Because if you start with a faulty basis, your models will not be real. 

On 5/12/2020 at 9:39 AM, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Very well put. 

Of course, COVID-19 has existed for only a matter of months. Genuine scientists and researchers take decades - yes, decades - to nail down details about diseases, so expecting perfection now is ludicrous. (At the beginning, the best info they had was that temperature was the signature symptom .... just a few months later, we know of many cases where the patient had no fever at any point).

With that said, rational people take scientific research - not Rupert Murdoch talking points or Breitbart headlines - to guide their decisions. The problem is, this era abounds with irrational people. We see them nightly on TV seething and snarling at nurses or statehouse police officers. They're the ones without masks, but loaded up with ammo and flags.

So on the OP's topic: Those are the very folks who threaten to make the first rounds of "guinea pig" cruises a true hell. I've seen too many bleary red-eyed, angry drunks at ship lounges, poolside or occasionally even leaving the MDR. Now they're going to come aboard with a "cause" and an attitude ... and that's going to be a problem for everyone else on the ship.  Regardless of whether the cruise line requires masks, recommends masks, requests masks, or says nothing about masks, that's going to threaten a conflict.

Those narrow corridors on cabin decks, the elevators or stairways, the area in front of the MDR, the shops on sale nights, most of the ship on cruise nights - those places get crowded fast. Even if the ship is at half capacity, they'll be crowded. Now throw in Loudy McLoudmouth with a few Bud-swilling, Fox-watching "Constitutional scholar" friends all spoiling for trouble ... well, that doesn't sound like a vacation.

(btw, I hate the mask as much as anyone here. But I wear the damned thing because I was raised to have consideration for others, and because being American actually is not about arrogance or self-centeredness)

So you just contradicted yourself.   You talk about how it takes decades for science to nail stuff down, but we are supposed to use scientific research to guide our decisions.  Obviously, we can't trust science when they keep changing their mind.  

I'm still trying to decide what to eat for a healthy breakfast

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mallefiscent said:

Ok.  I need someone to explain to me how a mask cannot go both ways?  If the virus cannot get out, then how can it get in?  On the flip side, if it can get in (therefore not protecting me), how can it not get out? 

Also, everyone who is wearing a cloth mask needs to realize that the holes in the cloth are bigger than the virus.  The virus can still get through.  

For your question to how the virus can get out, it means I wasn’t wearing it correctly and you in-took the virus from improper hand cleaning, face contact etc.  Even a cloth mask is better than no mask in tight circumstances, so be thankful people are wearing them. 

Here is an explanation to help you understand to why wearing a mask, to protect others, in crowded situations is important. A person in a mask isn’t a sign of a fearful person.  It’s a person taking a simple action to protect others around them.

Imagine you are out at the store and you meet me, and neither of us are wearing masks.  I am asymptotic, with COVID, meaning I have it but have yet to show any symptoms.  Another words, I have no idea I am positive with COVID.

I accidentally sneeze, gleek, speak mositly on you etc, in turn spreading the virus on you. You can in-take it multiple ways from me, even without ever seeing me at the store.  My germs entered your system, from transfer of some variety, and that’s why it’s important to wash those hands, sanitizer when you can’t and no hand contact to your face. 

However if I was wearing a mask, those germs will have been blocked from getting to you and others around me.  If I was not wearing a mask it will not be good for you.  By the time I realize I have it, the chance meeting with you while saying “hi” in isle 5 of the grocery store will be long out of my memory. In the meantime you continue to go mask free spreading it, until you realize you are Infected 2-14 days later.

See the image below. It’s a comparable, of pants to a mask, for those that wonder why wearing a mask is to protect others when you can’t get 6’ of separation.

AD2DCF1A-72E3-4F39-8E70-A2FB60A2B1A5.thumb.jpeg.9e7ecd787251864aef0477c690f6ba52.jpeg

A face covering of any variety is still better than none, just make sure your nose and mouth is covered. I have seem a few noses uncovered over the weeks, which is not the right way to wear a mask. The next image, which I have edited/adapted the tip, to fulfill CC rules. 

AD98EBFE-AA02-40B8-8D07-11B9D1CC2880.thumb.jpeg.9ba5665c806afad203e75c842c33ebf2.jpeg

Be safe out there for yourself and others, but don’t stop living. Hope my explanation helped.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

When I was thirty, a neighbor my age died of breast cancer. We were all stunned! She was so young, healthy, had no family history, didn’t smoke. One other neighbor and I were also terrified. We wanted to live to raise our children. Therein started a two year quest of information sharing...of every study, every expert pronouncement of what causes cancer. We’d drink coffee and share newspaper articles, books from the library, talk about what we’d heard on TV. Let me tell you, if you look for expert studies, many a paycheck funded by taxpayer money, they are bountiful. 

And they are all over the place. One I remember pointed the finger at canned vegetables, particularly green beans...a family favorite. I tried to get another mammogram after that, but my doctor wisely refused me. Two years of high anxiety...seeing a silent killer waiting to deprive my children of their Mother...in every stick of butter or ill-fitting Playtex bra. What stopped the insanity? My “research” partner was badly hurt in an automobile accident. See life has random OTHER events that can happen any moment, any time...no matter how vigilant or “informed by experts” you might be. I also began to realize that the media padded the news with studies that went nowhere...but FEAR PORN pulls in the  reader of the viewer...”Studies say chemical reaction of canned green beans causes breast cancer! Details at six!”

So now I see the same media hype of every study that can bring clickbait...or push a meta narrative. We are so politicized that they seem to scrounge to shore up the OPEN/ don’t OPEN...depending on the employment backgrounds of most of their talking heads or their wives or brothers. . (Ever read the employment connections between certain reporters and one political party or another.  It’s good to know WHO you are listening to.) 

I had a mask sent from Hong Kong friends but never opened it...because Dr Fauci said it was useless. He didn’t tell me just to avoid the ones needed for frontline workers...he didn’t tell me use any cloth covering...he said a mask was unnecessary. 

Now I need one to live or help you live.

I spent months wiping down mail, wiping down boxes, placing boxes in one place only, wiping down contents, .then wiping all doors and surfaces I had touched. My hands actually bled at times.

Now Experts tell me,..nah...not so much!  On what array of credible  studies did they make the “Killer Surfaces“  pronouncement? And are they saying now that those studies were trash? What experts deemed them credible when they issued such terrifying advice?

My physician daughter kept reassuring me...talking about viral load and potency and impotency. And how the older yeast is, the less your bread rises...till not at all. 

But, but...the CDC says! Dr Fauci says! 

Experts  tell me I can safely go among the crowds Walmart but can not social distance inside a Church. In Michigan Experts say I can buy “essential”  liquor and weed but not seeds for the Garden. In NYC, the mayor says dont.swim on our NYC beaches...go to LI.

Are “experts” making these decisions or politicians?  Sadly, in this pandemic, it seems like this is a sporting event, everyone has a favorite team and team spirit. We love our Coach and hate the opposing teams Coach. But the most frightening part is...we seem to have Team Doctors, and the science and “expert” opinions are very skewed to what the Cheerleaders want them to say.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Mallefiscent said:

I’ll try...... 

N95 is a mask that blocks at least 95% of virus spores and other particles, if fitted and worn properly.  It’s also best to wear with eye protection as well. This virus is not a contact virus and can only be spread through mouth, nose, and eyes. These are worn to protect the wearer from patients in quarantine. 

Mask worn by medical staff during surgeries and procedures, are worn to protect the patient, not the wearer. Eye protection is generally worn to protect the wearer. 

A mask, homemade or otherwise, doesn’t Necessarily protect the wearer (but possible some quantity of virus blocked). It’s intended to protect those around you as it reduces the amount of possible virus that is expelled from your mouth/nose. It’s not yet know how many spores are needed to infect someone. 

Best prevention is to wash your hands and try not to touch your face. 

Hope that helps....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2020 at 6:59 AM, hazence said:

Good news for you and I though. Those states that elected red state governors are opening up our states. Those that elected blue state governors...or mayors like DeBlasio...are taking a different path. So you and I are both getting what we want. I organize a monthly social event at our Club finally starting up in June. It has sold out immediately. We are out on the lake, we are socializing in our homes with neighbors. I have had my pedicure and next week, the aging Rapunzel shall have her golden hair finally lobbed off to a more appropriate length.,

You, however, are perfectly able to continue all protocols in your blue state that make you feel comfortable. Just remember not to go to those dangerous NYC beaches, De Blasio says that they might kill you but Long Island beaches are a-okay. LOL. And remember, you are safe in those crowded Walmart’s but not in church! 

On 5/21/2020 at 6:59 AM, hazence said:

his morning the New York Post makes the case for reopening...but the NYTimes, as you cited, pushes back.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/20/end-new-york-citys-lockdown-now/

Hmmm, seems like you are politicizing the debate. 😉  I thought you didn't like that. Even before the pandemic, I never went to NYC beaches. Too crowded and too inconvenient for me to get to.  I could be at a nicer beach much more quickly. I might go to LI beach but not right away, water is too cold. I also don't go to Walmart. Too crowded, but I will go to essential stores.  Physically attending church right now is not essential to me.

You are somewhat right. I'm okay with the country reopening ,especially less affected areas. I'm okay with NY reopening too in a gradual, common sense manner. I might even go as far as to say I feel better about NY than I do other parts of the country.  At one point, NY accounted for 50% of all new cases & deaths in the county. Today, the daily totals in NY are less than 10%, meaning that 90% of all new cases & deaths in the country are in places not named New York.  The daily numbers have been declining every day for 30+ days while in 30+ states, numbers continue to rise or stay the same.

Two people can look at the numbers in Texas, Georgia, SC and Florida and say they are not as bad as expected.  Person A will say 'Good for them, they locked down the state before the virus took hold and squashed the curve before it had a chance to rise. Good thing they didn't hesitate a few days like NY or Italy did". Person B will say "See, it was no big deal. Media Hype. Fear Porn. So many people over reacted".

Honestly, Person B scares me more than the virus. How many other things are they going to deny? Even worse, should there be a 2nd wave, those will be the ones making it worse than the 1st wave. Or if there is another, new disease in a few years, they'll point back to this and say, "see, the world didn't end", forgetting that countless lives have been saved.  How many? Who knows. Maybe 2.1 million if some estiimates are to be believed.

Bottom line, it is real, just because you don't see it in your backyard.  We can argue with numbers, morality rates, rates of transmission etc. all day long. But it happened, in China, Iran, Italy, Spain, NY, New Orleans, Michigan, Navajo nation, and meat packing plants across the country.

You and I probably agree more than we disagree. It might not come across that way as we both get stuck in the details of our debates. So on that note, enjoy this holiday weekend with your family, especially your daughter from London. Happy Memorial Day. Stay safe.  #flattenthecurve, #stopthespread.

P.S. - Montgomery, AL is running out of ICU beds and Ford closed down 2 plants it just reopened due to covid. Not....quite....out...of...the...woods....just....yet.   The floor is yours. 😇

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

For your question to how the virus can get out, it means I wasn’t wearing it correctly and you in-took the virus from improper hand cleaning, face contact etc.  Even a cloth mask is better than no mask in tight circumstances, so be thankful people are wearing them. 

Here is an explanation to help you understand to why wearing a mask, to protect others, in crowded situations is important. A person in a mask isn’t a sign of a fearful person.  It’s a person taking a simple action to protect others around them.

Imagine you are out at the store and you meet me, and neither of us are wearing masks.  I am asymptotic, with COVID, meaning I have it but have yet to show any symptoms.  Another words, I have no idea I am positive with COVID.

I accidentally sneeze, gleek, speak mositly on you etc, in turn spreading the virus on you. You can in-take it multiple ways from me, even without ever seeing me at the store.  My germs entered your system, from transfer of some variety, and that’s why it’s important to wash those hands, sanitizer when you can’t and no hand contact to your face. 

However if I was wearing a mask, those germs will have been blocked from getting to you and others around me.  If I was not wearing a mask it will not be good for you.  By the time I realize I have it, the chance meeting with you while saying “hi” in isle 5 of the grocery store will be long out of my memory. In the meantime you continue to go mask free spreading it, until you realize you are Infected 2-14 days later.

See the image below. It’s a comparable, of pants to a mask, for those that wonder why wearing a mask is to protect others when you can’t get 6’ of separation.

AD2DCF1A-72E3-4F39-8E70-A2FB60A2B1A5.thumb.jpeg.9e7ecd787251864aef0477c690f6ba52.jpeg

A face covering of any variety is still better than none, just make sure your nose and mouth is covered. I have seem a few noses uncovered over the weeks, which is not the right way to wear a mask. The next image, which I have edited/adapted the tip, to fulfill CC rules. 

AD98EBFE-AA02-40B8-8D07-11B9D1CC2880.thumb.jpeg.9ba5665c806afad203e75c842c33ebf2.jpeg

Be safe out there for yourself and others, but don’t stop living. Hope my explanation helped.

This post is so awesome, I'm quoting the whole thing again for effect.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1