Masks probably required

3 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

If you live in area where when you go out and can maintain safe 10 feet perimeter , certainly no need to wear mask.

If you are continuously jogging 8 feet behind someone, you are putting yourself at risk (if the other person is a carrier).

This is not flu. Lot more contagious than flu. What worked for flu will not be enough.

I understand the contagiousness, working for a physician-owned company.  🙂  I also have worked outside the home throughout, with others.  (We are what the government deem "essential".)   I am fortunate to live in a low risk, more rural area that has had cases, but never exploded with them.  I have no doubt that the 'sprawl' here has positively contributed to our lack of cases compared to the metropolitan areas of our state. 

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

One specific problem I see with people wearing masks....Let's say everyone is mandated to wear masks so they have on their mask going to the pool.  Then either it's hot, or drink time, so they remove their mask and they place it down on the table or lounge chair.  But then the wind blows it to floor, etc.  If that person is infected, then the germs from the mask can be spread.

Masks do not eliminate risk.

Only reduces them.

What society really needs is a quick test for infection (similar to flu test).

Masks will become nice to have precaution.

Some asian countries have been using them wisely for decades.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I would have to agree. But if the concern is so great that masks are to be force to be worn, then the cruiseline should not open until it's safe. 

Agree.  Cruising is no where near the must-have-for-life things.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaryEBS said:

According to ADA you do not have to wear a mask,  Cruise ships are required to comply with A.D.A.

Thanks, MaryEBS.  That could come in handy on a ship one day.  🙂  I do my best here in TN to wear them in a store, mainly because I know that some are very concerned.  I try to be respectful of their concerns. 👍  That's why most of the time, I do grocery pick-up, so I can avoid the mask and anyone being frightened by that.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The virus seems to be sensitive to sunlight and infectious disease typically has higher transmission rates in inside rather than outside environments so they close down the beaches.

Do you really think beaches are close down for THAT reason?

or was it because social distancing was not adhered?

You cannot infect neighbors and people other than household members when you are inside.

Zero transmission.

We walk outside every day, just making sure that there is no one in 8 ft perimeter (which is easily possible for most of us in suburban/rural area)

Because of the mist and wind, was told that beach is lot more riskier than your backyard park.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

What society really needs is a quick test for infection (similar to flu test).

Since violation of privacy/privacy rights is a big issue to me, the test would have to be noninvasive, and results destroyed while I stand there.  I am not willing to give up privacy (and DNA) for a quick answer.  I think there would be court challenges if this was going to be the route taken here in the states by companies.   It is one thing to take my temp, but to force a test on me....no.  I won't take a test, unless it was my desire to have a test.  I don't think I'm alone in this belief.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The virus seems to be sensitive to sunlight and infectious disease typically has higher transmission rates in inside rather than outside environments so they close down the beaches.

I live in Santa Cruz and the primary reason they now have an 11 am--5pm partial closure is because the weekend before, large groups of tourists chose to come over and unsafely populate the beaches.  No social distancing.  Difficult to police those crowds.  So now between those hours you can’t “set up shop” on the beach; no blankets and umbrellas or hanging out on the sand.  HOWEVER, you are allowed to cross the sand to use the water for exercise such as swimming, surfing, boogie boarding, etc.  Or simply jogging/walking along the water’s edge.  They are mostly discouraging large crowds on the beaches all day.  Also, Santa Cruz County has PLENTY of opportunities for exercise and fresh air.  We have tons of trails, the redwoods, pretty neighborhoods, etc. for that.  AND the beach is still there for long walks and exercise.  Just don’t plan on sunbathing all day.  Keep moving and enjoy the fresh air and exercise.  This, too, shall pass.  We prefer to keep our numbers down here.  People need to stop whining and realize that the beaches will still be there when this is over.  Our earth is actually thanking us now for giving it a much-needed rest.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, barbeyg said:

Since violation of privacy/privacy rights is a big issue to me, the test would have to be noninvasive, and results destroyed while I stand there.  I am not willing to give up privacy (and DNA) for a quick answer.  I think there would be court challenges if this was going to be the route taken here in the states by companies.   It is one thing to take my temp, but to force a test on me....no.  I won't take a test, unless it was my desire to have a test.  I don't think I'm alone in this belief.

Do you remember people felt same way post 9/11 about taking off shoes and being patted down?

Lets hope nothing will be required for us to change/adept.

Hopefully, this will magically go away.

After all it is not worse than flu and quite likely a hoax by the left any way.

We already have "beautiful" tests available for almost 6 weeks now for anyone to get it on demand.

We should never do any testing. Our number would have been zero if no test were performed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

where have you been last several weeks?

Dr Fauci was technically right that for ordinary people not trained in putting on N95 masks, those masks do not eliminate risk of getting virus.

But any mask covering reduces chances by some extent for obvious reasons in a way that a regular shirt is not enough protection in winter but is better than being naked.

You should also by now know the objective behind those statements. They were desperately trying to prevent run on masks needed by actual medical people.

The current suggestion of wearing masks (covering of ANY sensible type) is NOT for wearer's protection but for reducing risks of him/her infecting OTHERS.

If you change channel to ANYTHING else, you will not have this confusion.

You wear masks mainly to protect others from you with small side benefit of reducing risk to you slightly.

Why do you think HK and Korea have been able to control spread better than the West?

Time to learn and adopt and that starts with changing the sole source of information

I don’t watch any channel...except maybe CSpan. 

I read. If I see something that puzzles me , I will spend the morning looking for more information across a wide variety of sources. When I read some reporting by national media...I like to see what the local newspapers are reporting to see what is conveniently left out.

I watch videos of what people actually say instead of letting Chris Cuomo or Chris Wallace tell me what they said. I try to read documents, reports, especially IG reports and released transcripts instead of letting CNN or FOX summarize that information with their particular spin.

Im not okay with government experts lying to me for good reason, because I don’t know what “good reason” might cause them to lie to me now.

AS far as “highly infectious”...the virus certainly is...in certain areas. My best friends husband and his brother own a business in Mahoning County in Ohio...a hot spot.  They employ several hundred people in 2 plants. They have not required masks...and there has been no illness, no positive cases...zip. Yet these employees live and shop etc in a hot spot.

I believe CNN’s Chris Cuomo loves his children.His brother is the governor and now I know that Dr Fauci spoke to him every single day. Yet he rode 30 minutes in a car with his children while feverish with COVID....this highly infectious disease.

No mask. There is a police report.

Hard to reconcile some realties we see...as to what we are being told. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

where have you been last several weeks?

Dr Fauci was technically right that for ordinary people not trained in putting on N95 masks, those masks do not eliminate risk of getting virus.

But any mask covering reduces chances by some extent for obvious reasons in a way that a regular shirt is not enough protection in winter but is better than being naked.

You should also by now know the objective behind those statements. They were desperately trying to prevent run on masks needed by actual medical people.

The current suggestion of wearing masks (covering of ANY sensible type) is NOT for wearer's protection but for reducing risks of him/her infecting OTHERS.

If you change channel to ANYTHING else, you will not have this confusion.

You wear masks mainly to protect others from you with small side benefit of reducing risk to you slightly.

Why do you think HK and Korea have been able to control spread better than the West?

Time to learn and adopt and that starts with changing the sole source of information

Excellent post.

2 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Do you remember people felt same way post 9/11 about taking off shoes and being patted down?

Taking off outer-wear clothing and giving up DNA are two completely different things. 🙂  That's not the best of comparisons.  

However, I do remember the time, and had no problem with that.  Yeah, there was some grumbling back then.  Forced testing, DNA gathering?  Just wait for the firestorm over that.  And the constitutional challenges.  

Back to masks, though, since that is the topic here.  We are all guessing how that will play out, and I believe that the staff on the ship will wear them for some time (possibly buffet servers from now on), and any passenger requirement in crowded public spaces will fade away....if there is no outbreak when cruising begins again.  People who test positive for Noro or the Flu will possibly be required to wear them when they leave the cabins to go to the doctor and when they disembark.  If they don't change Muster, they could be required then as well, maybe for the shows. 

But, as Mary suggested above, those of us with breathing issues will be able to opt out of wearing them, and suddenly we will have a whole new 'emotional support dog' flare up as many more people suddenly have asthma or the like.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A friend in Hong Kong sent these to our family. Korean mask. Their most commonly used mask.  If you believe you need a mask, get one of these. 

Image did  not upload...antibacterial copper mask...filtering function 99%...Copperline

I don’t take offense at a difference in opinion. We are not sheep. We process the conditions around us, additional information from people we trust...and, if you read widely enough...we see these experts don’t even often agree. 

I don’t envy endangered businesses like the cruise industry trying to decide on protocols that will protect their customers and help them survive. 

Edited by hazence
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Hopefully, this will magically go away.

After all it is not worse than flu and quite likely a hoax by the left any way.

We already have "beautiful" tests available for almost 6 weeks now for anyone to get it on demand.

We should never do any testing. Our number would have been zero if no test were performed.

This is a joke right?Hoax?well we know what news you watch.

1 minute ago, rbell said:

This is a joke right?Hoax?well we know what news you watch.

I took it as sarcasm about one side of the political spectrum.  🙂

I find the truth usually falls somewhere between each of the polarizing political belief systems.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

That should be interesting for people using the pool .

Will pools/hot tubs be open if "Social Distancing " is in effect? The only way to regulate would be closing them.

No easy solutions for the industry to figure out/control. It will certainly be interesting to see the changes and more interesting to hear about them for those on the first few sailings.

I can hear it now " My cruise was a disaster due to the changes", " It wasn't as bad as I thought", "Why didn't I wait" and everything in between.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

I can hear it now " My cruise was a disaster due to the changes", " It wasn't as bad as I thought", "Why didn't I wait" and everything in between.

Yep, should make for some very interesting CC topics/discussions. 

On 5/6/2020 at 12:46 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Just announced that masks will be required for crew and probably by guests initially and maybe until there is a vaccine. 

I just thought of something else.When you arrive at the cruise port and have your picture taken for your key card is it with or without a mask ? If with how will they know who is who when you go off and on the ship.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I just thought of something else.When you arrive at the cruise port and have your picture taken for your key card is it with or without a mask ? If with how will they know who is who when you go off and on the ship.?

And if we do have to wear masks for those photos, how will they 'reconcile' us to our passport photos? 😷  Especially as we disembark.  What a nightmare that process would be!  

20 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

And if we do have to wear masks for those photos, how will they 'reconcile' us to our passport photos? 😷  Especially as we disembark.  What a nightmare that process would be!  

26 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Lenny...in my pea brain and opinion I believe your picture will not be taken for your Sea Pass Card with a mask on. When entering and leaving the ship you will be spaced at least 6' apart and you will be required to remove your mask at those times when your Sea Pass Card is scanned.  As it is currently when you have to remove your hat and sun glasses.

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

1972 F250 highboy

That a gorgeous truck. 

Thanks for the advise, that's what I plan on doing. I'm heading North to 100 mile house, Williams Lake, Quesnel and Prince George next weekend to hit a few of the dealers up there. We're going to make a weekend of it.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.  

We now return to our regularly scheduled program.

DW is now sewing masks.  She's making them to match all her fanciest outfits so she will be good to go on formal night. 🙂

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Having participated in this thread from beginning to end I have come to the definitive conclusion that some folks shouldn't be thinking about cruising until the spring of 2027.  For the rest of us, I'll meet you at the Schooner bar for trivia night. 🙂

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Lenny...in my pea brain and opinion I believe your picture will not be taken for your Sea Pass Card with a mask on. When entering and leaving the ship you will be spaced at least 6' apart and you will be required to remove your mask at those times when your Sea Pass Card is scanned.  As it is currently when you have to remove your hat and sun glasses.

Good point.  That could work.

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Having participated in this thread from beginning to end I have come to the definitive conclusion that some folks shouldn't be thinking about cruising until the spring of 2027.  For the rest of us, I'll meet you at the Schooner bar for trivia night. 🙂

There is some great humor on CC today.  😂

See you at the Schooner Bar....hopefully sooner rather than later.  👍  Without a mask.  Since its hard enough to drink from those paper straws without trying to wear a mask too!  😊

• Like 2