Travel Insurance Refund?

I know I can get my answer by calling the travel insurance company, but am curious to hear your responses.  We have 2 cruises booked for next year that we plan to cancel.  We purchased outside travel insurance just for the deposit amount to be able to waive existing medical conditions with the intent of adding to it after making final payment.  The two cruises are with Princess and the deposits are fully refundable.  So would we get a refund from the travel insurance company since the trip will be cancelled and we won’t be turning in a claim to recover our deposits?  My assumption is No.  Thanks for your input.

1 hour ago, mollygirl said:

I know I can get my answer by calling the travel insurance company, but am curious to hear your responses.  We have 2 cruises booked for next year that we plan to cancel.  We purchased outside travel insurance just for the deposit amount to be able to waive existing medical conditions with the intent of adding to it after making final payment.  The two cruises are with Princess and the deposits are fully refundable.  So would we get a refund from the travel insurance company since the trip will be cancelled and we won’t be turning in a claim to recover our deposits?  My assumption is No.  Thanks for your input.

I also had my Alaska cruise cancelled by Princess.  I filed with my insurance company, Travel Guard.  I had to do the cancellation on the website.  From the form I filled out, it appears that I might be able to get a voucher to use on a future cruise.  The website said I would hear back within 15 days so I will wait and see what happens.

I bough travel guard insurance(AIG) for May cruise but it was beyond the 15day refund period so they declined to give me refund, but issued me a voucher(good for 2 years). I don't agree so disputed it with my CC. Will find out in several months if AIG will contest it.

18 minutes ago, dchan865 said:

I bough travel guard insurance(AIG) for May cruise but it was beyond the 15day refund period so they declined to give me refund, but issued me a voucher(good for 2 years). I don't agree so disputed it with my CC. Will find out in several months if AIG will contest it.

The above is what I am thinking will happen to me.  If they do, I am fine with that solution.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies.  Very helpful.  I will be getting the amount paid to insure my deposit  back from John Hancock.  I do need to email them my cancellation notification from Princess along with my booking confirmation showing that the deposit was paid and that it was fully refundable.  The folks at John Hancock were great!  Another good thing about them is you can insure just your deposit in order to get the preexisting conditions waived and then when you make final payment, call them and increase your coverage and pay any additional amount due.  Not many allow for that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mollygirl said:

I think it depends on your state laws. We did the same thing with our summer cruise with Princess that just had a refundable deposit. Our TA mentioned that since there was nothing at stake, according to the law in our state NY, we would also get the insurance back if we cancelled. The insurance, since we are both senior citizens, was more than the deposit.

When we cancelled, the TA took care of informing the insurance company, and I received an e-mail that it would be considered and would take 15-20 business days for a decision. 20 days later (14 business days) later, I received an e-mail that the refund was approved and would show up on our credit card but might take 5-10 business days. It actually showed up 4 days (2 business days) later.

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I think it depends on your state laws. We did the same thing with our summer cruise with Princess that just had a refundable deposit. Our TA mentioned that since there was nothing at stake, according to the law in our state NY, we would also get the insurance back if we cancelled. The insurance, since we are both senior citizens, was more than the deposit.

When we cancelled, the TA took care of informing the insurance company, and I received an e-mail that it would be considered and would take 15-20 business days for a decision. 20 days later (14 business days) later, I received an e-mail that the refund was approved and would show up on our credit card but might take 5-10 business days. It actually showed up 4 days (2 business days) later.

Great - Thanks for sharing!

On 5/6/2020 at 4:34 PM, tallnthensome said:

Wrong forum for this .....

44 minutes ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

Why? The question is about travel insurance which is what this forum is about.

I believe this thread was originally posted to the Princess forum.  The thread was recently moved to the Cruise/Travel Insurance forum by the moderators. So you are both correct at the date/time each of you posted.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

Cancelled by you or cancelled by the cruise line?

Cruise cancelled by Princess.  I emailed AIG and my premium was refunded about a week later.

Cheers

Edited by Bemidji Ty

We had our May 26th cruise cancelled.  Bought the insurance through Travel Guard in February when we booked the cruise.  Since we were past the 15 day cancellation, we were issued a credit good through May 2022.  I was surprised it only took 2 weeks to hear back.  Still waiting on Celebrity to refund our money.