Dalmatian (Croatia) Coast Cruise Recommendation

Windstar- They have a cruise that departs Venice, then makes stops in Croatia, Montenegro, Sicily and then to Rome, or Vice Versa.  We took this cruise on Windstar Surf in 2017 and really enjoyed it.  If you have not  cruised on Windstar, check it out.  It is a small line with 3 ships with sails and 3 yacht ships.  We prefer the sailing ships (they mostly use their motor,) but sometimes put the sails up.  They range from 150-300 passengers and are very casual.  They staff is outstanding and the food it good.

We did a Celebrity cruise that covered those ports several years ago.

Our most enjoyable 'cruise' along the coast of Croatia was not on a cruise ship but on the Jandrolinija ferry system.  We took a fast ferry from Ancona to Split, Croatia and then hopped down the coast of Croatia to Dubrovnic.  We stopped in several places for a few days, then carried on.

Not exactly a cruise company but we enjoyed this far more than the Celebrity cruise.  A far different experience.

Two other companies that have very interesting itineraries in this area are Ponant and Noble Caledonia – I have sailed Ponant in Iceland and really love their ships (184-264 passengers).  Haven't sailed Noble Caledonia yet; and for these itineraries they charter Queen Eleganza and Princess Eleganza, which are really small and also hard to find reviews of.

On 5/7/2020 at 10:41 AM, iancal said:

We did a Celebrity cruise that covered those ports several years ago.

Our most enjoyable 'cruise' along the coast of Croatia was not on a cruise ship but on the Jandrolinija ferry system.  We took a fast ferry from Ancona to Split, Croatia and then hopped down the coast of Croatia to Dubrovnic.  We stopped in several places for a few days, then carried on.

Not exactly a cruise company but we enjoyed this far more than the Celebrity cruise.  A far different experience.

What an interesting idea....going to check this out.  Thanks so much for the information.  I never considered ferry hopping!

On 5/7/2020 at 7:24 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Two other companies that have very interesting itineraries in this area are Ponant and Noble Caledonia – I have sailed Ponant in Iceland and really love their ships (184-264 passengers).  Haven't sailed Noble Caledonia yet; and for these itineraries they charter Queen Eleganza and Princess Eleganza, which are really small and also hard to find reviews of.

Thanks for the info....I’ve checked Ponant and the dates don’t work with our schedule.  Never heard of Noble Caledonia, I will check them out.

44 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

Thanks for the info....I’ve checked Ponant and the dates don’t work with our schedule.  Never heard of Noble Caledonia, I will check them out.

Noble Caledonia is a British cruise line that caters to Brits.  All their fares are based on London round trip:  they fly you to and from the ship.  This is appealing to me because it's always easy to get to London, and then they can figure out how to get you to off-the-beaten-track places like Lake Bled ["Slovenia to Sarajevo," Sep 23 to Oct 5, 2021].  To find information about them on Cruise Critic, search in the 'Other Cruise Lines' board.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

What an interesting idea....going to check this out.  Thanks so much for the information.  I never considered ferry hopping!

We have done four Med cruises in the past.   We have pretty much stopped looking/buying them in favour of Med  land trips.  Especially island hopping in Greece which we have done  few times.   

We arrange air, return or more often open jaw, reserve the first few days accommodation, and then travel to a rough itinerary that is always subject to change (and frequently does).  Since retiring we only travel with carry on which is ideal for this type of travel.   This is not for everyone but it suits us down to ground as it were. 

Gulet cruising around the Croatian  (or Turkish or Greek) islands is an alternative worth looking at.

Traditional wooden sailing boats with usually 4 to 8 cabins.

Most have en-suite bathrooms but otherwise quite basic accommodation. 

Generally cruise the morning, then the afternoon and overnight in harbour. Breakfast & lunch provided, go out to bars & restaurants in the village or town in the evenings.

Laid-back cruising for those who want to relax in un-hurried and crowd-free locations rather than cram in iconic tourist sights.

There are also bigger (but still small, 10 to 20 cabins) modern cruisers that are rather more palatial. But still way below the prices of Windstar and even mainstream cruise ships.

Croatia itself is inexpensive-- and the little island towns & villages way cheaper than the likes of Split or Dubrovnik.

The pictured gulet has about 8 double cabins

Gulet Angelica Cruises - Gulet Charter Croatia

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Bull said:

Gulet cruising around the Croatian  (or Turkish or Greek) islands is an alternative worth looking at.

Traditional wooden sailing boats with usually 4 to 8 cabins.

Most have en-suite bathrooms but otherwise quite basic accommodation. 

Generally cruise the morning, then the afternoon and overnight in harbour. Breakfast & lunch provided, go out to bars & restaurants in the village or town in the evenings.

Laid-back cruising for those who want to relax in un-hurried and crowd-free locations rather than cram in iconic tourist sights.

There are also bigger (but still small, 10 to 20 cabins) modern cruisers that are rather more palatial. But still way below the prices of Windstar and even mainstream cruise ships.

Croatia itself is inexpensive-- and the little island towns & villages way cheaper than the likes of Split or Dubrovnik.

The pictured gulet has about 8 double cabins

Gulet Angelica Cruises - Gulet Charter Croatia

I’ve looked into gulet cruising some.  Love the idea of a smaller boat and getting dinner on land.  The wife of the other couple going with us gets motion sick easily so the small size of these boats are a concern plus their 17 year old son is traveling with them and I don’t know if any of these boats will have cabins for 3.  I hadn’t found one with 20 cabins....that might be an option.  I just did a quick google search for the larger gulets and found several.  Thanks!

On 5/11/2020 at 3:04 PM, iancal said:

We have done four Med cruises in the past.   We have pretty much stopped looking/buying them in favour of Med  land trips.  Especially island hopping in Greece which we have done  few times.   

We arrange air, return or more often open jaw, reserve the first few days accommodation, and then travel to a rough itinerary that is always subject to change (and frequently does).  Since retiring we only travel with carry on which is ideal for this type of travel.   This is not for everyone but it suits us down to ground as it were. 

I agree, carry on is the only way for us to travel too - easier to travel by train, ferry, bus, local transport and you can carry your luggage on/off cruise ships.  

When you island hop in Greece, are there ferries there too?  

Yes. Fast ferries and slower ones.  When we go we always get an open jaw flight.  Fly into Athens, and fly out of somewhere else that has good connections for us.    Time before it was in to Athens, island hop down to Crete.  A week plus on Crete, low cost flight to Paris, and home from there.

Last fall it was in to Athens,  flight to the north and the Ionian Islands, then a flight to Cyprus for two weeks, low cost flight to London, and then fly home.

If we are going to the northern Islands we would typically fly into Istanbul.  Then fly to the coast, spend some on the Med coast, end up at Marmaris and ferry to Rhodes.   Home from Athens.

So many options.

3 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

I’ve looked into gulet cruising some.  Love the idea of a smaller boat and getting dinner on land.  The wife of the other couple going with us gets motion sick easily so the small size of these boats are a concern plus their 17 year old son is traveling with them and I don’t know if any of these boats will have cabins for 3.  I hadn’t found one with 20 cabins....that might be an option.  I just did a quick google search for the larger gulets and found several.  Thanks!

The larger boats are modern cruisers, rather than traditional gulets.

Here's an example

https://www.katarina-line.com/ships/premium_superior_2018#!/

(if that doesn't take you direct to the boats, click on "ships" in the header).

Not my style - more comfortable but not rustic

• Like 1