Scenic River Cruise Cancellations - Anyone been rebooked?

usctrojangal

I was scheduled with Scenic to depart Budapest on May 13, of course this trip was "postponed" as Scenic calls it.  Has anyone been rebooked on another cruise by Scenic, or has anyone disputed the credit card charge?  I haven't heard a word from Scenic other than their generic one and only email they sent out weeks ago saying that they are giving a future cruise credit and are working on rebooking passengers.  My TA has been calling and emailing them daily and no luck.  I'm concerned they have either gone out of business or will be out of business by next year. The Scenic travel book I have actually has a section in the back in small print for refunds if Scenic cancels a cruise for "whatever reason". They actually use the words for "whatever reason".  This to me seems to be a "whatever reason" scenario but I can't get a hold of anyone at Scenic to even request a refund or even rebook the trip, which is why I was just going to dispute the charge.  Curious to hear what other passengers are experiencing with them.... 

We had a cruise booked to depart May 27.  I requested a refund and they said they were only offering refunds if you could not use the FCC by Dec. 31, 2022.  ( You would have to wait until then to receive the refund.) They offered 110% , but they  raised the price, and lowered or did not offer the discounts that we were given this year, so it was going to cost us $600 more.

I told my TA to tell them that was not acceptable.  She was on hold one day for 2 hours, then they were only accepting email communication.  She told them by email that she needed to speak to someone in management.  They finally agreed to my terms of same cabin, same price for June 2021.  I would have preferred a refund, but at least I have this.  

I am in the same position with Scenic.  They are fighting about honoring their terms.

5. Cancellation, delays and changes to Your Itinerary

5.1 Although we reserve the right to cancel, delay or alter a Cruise for operational reasons, we will generally not cancel or consolidate a Cruise due to lack of passenger numbers. However, if minimum passenger numbers are not met, we reserve the right to limit the facilities, amenities and activities available on the Cruise Vessel.

5.2 We will endeavour to make any decision to cancel or delay a Tour or Cruise, and to notify You of that decision, at least 60 days prior to the scheduled Tour Departure Date.

5.3 If We cancel a Tour, for whatever reason, before departure: (a) We will use reasonable endeavours to offer You the closest available tour or cruise departure. If the proposed alternative tour or cruise is: (i) cheaper than Your original Tour Price, We will refund the difference to You; or (ii) more expensive than Your original Tour Price, You must pay the difference to Us; (b) if You accept the proposed alternative tour or cruise, Your Itinerary will be amended accordingly and We will give You an updated Itinerary; (c) if You do not accept the proposed alternative tour or cruise within 7 days of being notified by Us of the alternative, We will cancel Your Booking, refund to You all monies paid directly to Us and will have no further liability to You; and (d) We are not liable for any third party costs You may incur, which We have not booked on Your behalf , for example airfares or other arrangements booked independently through or paid to a travel agent.

5.4 If We delay the departure of a Tour, for whatever reason, for more than 7 days, You may terminate this Contract and We will provide You with, at Your option, either: (a) a full refund of all amounts paid to Us; or (b) a credit towards future tours with Us which will be valid for 24 months from the date You notify Us of the termination of this Contract.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 7:40 PM, texasstar said:

We had a cruise booked to depart May 27.  I requested a refund and they said they were only offering refunds if you could not use the FCC by Dec. 31, 2022.  ( You would have to wait until then to receive the refund.) They offered 110% , but they  raised the price, and lowered or did not offer the discounts that we were given this year, so it was going to cost us $600 more.

I told my TA to tell them that was not acceptable.  She was on hold one day for 2 hours, then they were only accepting email communication.  She told them by email that she needed to speak to someone in management.  They finally agreed to my terms of same cabin, same price for June 2021.  I would have preferred a refund, but at least I have this.  

My April cruise to Bucharest was cancelled.  Scenic offered me a 125% credit to use on a future cruise to be used by 12/2021.  I rebooked a Christmas market cruise for November 2021 which was also on my bucket list.  The extra 25% credit will pay for my air.  I will rebook my Bucharest cruise when the 2022 bookings become available as I will use my United air credit for this as I have until 12/2022 to use.  What a mess this has been as 2 other cruises this year have been cancelled.  I've had to create a spreadsheet to keep track of credit and refunds.  Just as a FYI, my Princess refund is now at 90 days and counting to hit my cc.     

Edited by gone2c
hit wrong key.
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, gone2c said:

My April cruise to Bucharest was cancelled.  Scenic offered me a 125% credit to use on a future cruise to be used by 12/2021.  I rebooked a Christmas market cruise for November 2021 which was also on my bucket list.  The extra 25% credit will pay for my air.  I will rebook my Bucharest cruise when the 2022 bookings become available as I will use my United air credit for this as I have until 12/2022 to use.  What a mess this has been as 2 other cruises this year have been cancelled.  I've had to create a spreadsheet to keep track of credit and refunds.  Just as a FYI, my Princess refund is now at 90 days and counting to hit my cc.     

I am in a similar place as you. I have a saved document where I have all of my information on cancelled trips, credits due, refunds due, and so on. It is a lot to keep up with. Thus far we have had 3 trips take a fall, including a fabulous trip to Kenya that I was leaving next week for. Our next journey involves a Scenic river cruise in France in July, I'm still holding out hope....

3 hours ago, terry&mike said:

I am in a similar place as you. I have a saved document where I have all of my information on cancelled trips, credits due, refunds due, and so on. It is a lot to keep up with. Thus far we have had 3 trips take a fall, including a fabulous trip to Kenya that I was leaving next week for. Our next journey involves a Scenic river cruise in France in July, I'm still holding out hope....

Kenya was on my list for 2021 but now that I've made switches from this year to next looks like it'll be 2021.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you in July but I don't think I'd count on it just yet.  A girlfriend and I did 21 days in France with Scenic back in 2017 and it was great!  Walked off the boat with a 0 bill.  Love this cruise line.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 11:35 AM, gone2c said:

Kenya was on my list for 2021 but now that I've made switches from this year to next looks like it'll be 2021.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you in July but I don't think I'd count on it just yet.  A girlfriend and I did 21 days in France with Scenic back in 2017 and it was great!  Walked off the boat with a 0 bill.  Love this cruise line.

Scenic just cancelled river cruises through August 31, so there went my south of France sailing. Trying to decide if I want to book a small bike and barge ship I found, or rent an apartment around Avignon or somewhere, or scrap the whole thing....

I'm one of many with a cancelled June cruise. I have been trying to rebook, or at least explore options for a 2021 cruise, but my TA has been unsuccessful in trying to reach Scenic for several days now. I understand that they're slammed, but it's still frustrating. An automated online booking system would certainly help, rather than requiring everything to involve reaching an actual person at Scenic, but I guess that's wishful thinking...

Scenic cancelled our cruise scheduled for August 2020.  Credit only is offered, and money will not be refunded if there is no re-booking until after June 30, 2023.  Thank goodness we only paid the deposit, since the final amount due wasn't to be paid until May 20, 2020.  I'm continuing to discuss this with Scenic, as we'd love to get the deposit back. 

• Like 1

I was able to get re-booked with Scenic, and received my new confirmation yesterday. Was booked on a river cruise to the South of France for July, 2020, which Scenic cancelled about a week ago. Re-booked same itinerary for September, 2021. Very pleased with Scenic's handling of the re-booking. 

First time poster on this forum.

We have a Douro cruise booked with Scenic in October this year.  Like others on this forum, we believe it is best to 'play chicken' with Scenic and wait for them to cancel rather than cancel ourselves.  We also have a Russia cruise booked with Scenic in 2021.

We don't know what options we will take - and it depends on what they offer of course - but my gut feeling is even if this is a 'force majeure' event, why should Scenic simply feel they can keep travellers' money in its entirety if the cruise is not operating?

Our concerns include:

Will Scenic still be in business in 1-2 years time?  If not, a future credit is worthless.  Unlike the behemoths of ocean cruising (Carnival, RCCL, NCL) they are a relatively small company.  

Offering 110% value on future credits is all very well, but will their current price structure stay in place?  Or will they recover this apparent generosity by applying price increases?

So far we have only paid a deposit for the Douro cruise.  What are our choices at final payment time next month?

Will we be able to use the credit for the Douro cruise and apply it to the Russia cruise the following year?  And if so, will they honour the price for the Russia cruise they have quoted?

Like almost all of us, we hope the cruise business survives and prospers when this 'end of days' time is over.  We have had two good experiences with Scenic.

8 hours ago, deltasigma said:

First time poster on this forum.

We have a Douro cruise booked with Scenic in October this year.  Like others on this forum, we believe it is best to 'play chicken' with Scenic and wait for them to cancel rather than cancel ourselves.  We also have a Russia cruise booked with Scenic in 2021.

We don't know what options we will take - and it depends on what they offer of course - but my gut feeling is even if this is a 'force majeure' event, why should Scenic simply feel they can keep travellers' money in its entirety if the cruise is not operating?

Our concerns include:

Will Scenic still be in business in 1-2 years time?  If not, a future credit is worthless.  Unlike the behemoths of ocean cruising (Carnival, RCCL, NCL) they are a relatively small company.  

Offering 110% value on future credits is all very well, but will their current price structure stay in place?  Or will they recover this apparent generosity by applying price increases?

So far we have only paid a deposit for the Douro cruise.  What are our choices at final payment time next month?

Will we be able to use the credit for the Douro cruise and apply it to the Russia cruise the following year?  And if so, will they honour the price for the Russia cruise they have quoted?

Like almost all of us, we hope the cruise business survives and prospers when this 'end of days' time is over.  We have had two good experiences with Scenic.

Scenic is in a very good position financially, and has continued to keep it's new builds for ships such as the Emerald Azzurra on track during this virus, so will likely fair okay when this is over.

It is my opinion, but I believe your Douro cruise in October will sail. Portugal is on track to open earlier than most European countries for tourism, and river cruises will be able to navigate the new normal better than ocean cruises due to their smaller passenger numbers. I also have an October Douro cruise, but on Scenic's sister line, Emerald Waterways, and I think it will sail.

If you don't feel comfortable traveling in October, then you might want to go ahead and cancel now and you should be able to receive a credit for your deposit which you should be able apply to your Russia cruise next year. If you already have a booking under deposit for Russia, that price is locked in. I am using should, as I'm assuming you are in the U.S., but if not there may be different procedures. 

Although Scenic isn't offering a money back option, they are being generous with the use of their credits. You can use the credit towards an existing booking, or towards a new booking, you can use the credit yourself, you can allow someone else to use your credit, you can use it on Scenic River, or on another one of their products (Emerald Yacht, Emerald River). 

As to options for paying your final payment on the due date, you will need to pay that or the cruise will cancel. 

18 hours ago, deltasigma said:

I would not make final payment.

If there is any doubt whatsoever in your mind about the trip happening—i.e., you cancelling or even Scenic cancelling—I would not make final payment. If you do, you are locked in — and won’t be able to get your money back for YEARS. And even in force majeur cases, that does not mean the cruise line is entitled to keep your money.

To answer some of your ?s.

Will Scenic still be in business in 1-2 years time?  If not, a future credit is worthless.  Unlike the behemoths of ocean cruising (Carnival, RCCL, NCL) they are a relatively small company.   Who knows. They say they have deep pockets but I am wary of anyone saying that...especially when they haven’t even offered those on cancelled voyages the option of a refund.  They are plowing a lot of money into new ships but no company’s resources are unlimited...Even Richard Branson’s. And yes, if defunct, a future cruise credit is worthless...unless you have trip insurance that covers bankruptcy when they go bankrupt. Do you want your money tied up and Scenic controlling your future cruise/travel options?

No, prices go up every year. The extra 10% typically doesn’t cover their price increase. But you can do an easy comparison by looking at next year’s prices on their website. And by the way, other cruise lines are offering 125%, so 110% by Scenic is a bit stingy.

So far we have only paid a deposit for the Douro cruise.  What are our choices at final payment time next month? Make final payment and lock yourself in or lose your deposit. 

Will we be able to use the credit for the Douro cruise and apply it to the Russia cruise the following year?  And if so, will they honour the price for the Russia cruise they have quoted? You can probably apply it to a cruise next year,, but no, I am doubtful they will honor this year’s price. 

Remember, even if you decide to defer, anything you book is subject to availability. 

Your TA should be able to help you with all these questions and provide Insight and advice...and also help to negotiate on your behalf.  

I was booked on the Scenic Paris to Normandy cruise for 6/10/2020.  Scenic has never sent an email or any type of personal  correspondence that they have canceled this trip  Instead, I had to call my travel agent to find out that this cruise was canceled due to the Coronavirus.  Like many other cruisers, I am upset that they are offering FCC or only 75% refund of my fully paid fare.  My wife and I are senior citizens and can't count on our health for the foreseeable future.  My travel agent has appealed to Scenic, but they only offer the standard FCC or 75% refund.  As pointed out in the cruise contract, section 5.3-C.  It states that Scenic will refund my fare if They cancel the cruise.  Yet, when confronted with this fact, their only excuse is to say that this is not their fault.   OK, it's not their fault, but it's not mine either.  The contract is binding to both parties, but Scenic refuses to abide by it.  What have they done to earn 25% of my money if I request a refund.  Any suggestions ?  

Our Europe Cruise departure was 30 March this year, the first trip if the year for them on that route. Scenic cancelled 2 weeks before, and we requested a refund through our agent even though they were offering 125% FCC. Scenic called the agent about a month ago to ask then to check again whether we wanted a refund or the credit and were told refund. About 2 weeks ago the agent had them on the phone and asked why other refunds had come through but not ours and was told they didn’t really know but it was being processed. We have 2 trips booked with Scenic next June but if they don’t get our refund sorted soon we will cancel and look elsewhere. There is absolutely no reason that our refund should still be outstanding. 

• Like 2

Can you try disputing the charges with your credit card company since the service you paid for was not provided? I would include a copy of the contract that states they will refund the monies, and also any correspondence from Scenic when disputing the charges. I believe there is a time limit for disputing, so don't wait for Scenic and have the window of opportunity close.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2020 at 7:58 PM, linolive said:

Can you try disputing the charges with your credit card company since the service you paid for was not provided? I would include a copy of the contract that states they will refund the monies, and also any correspondence from Scenic when disputing the charges. I believe there is a time limit for disputing, so don't wait for Scenic and have the window of opportunity close.

That is exactly what I am doing.  Scenic has never bothered to respond to my emails, and the customer service representatives simply repeat the party line of no refunds until after June 30,  2023.  

As noted about Scenic/Emerald and refunds. We were scheduled to do a Douro cruise on May 1, 2020 that was cancelled due to COVID-19. Emerald offered a refund or credit, we chose the refund as the pandemic status is unknown. It has been over four months and have yet to receive our refund only that the check is in the mail. This is frustrating both us and our Tavel Agent. We have sailed on Scenic, their parent company, and very pleased overall. We were sailing with Viking in early March and received credits and refunds almost immediately when they cancelled. Something is rotten with this company.

11 hours ago, travel1104 said:

As noted about Scenic/Emerald and refunds. We were scheduled to do a Douro cruise on May 1, 2020 that was cancelled due to COVID-19. Emerald offered a refund or credit, we chose the refund as the pandemic status is unknown. It has been over four months and have yet to receive our refund only that the check is in the mail. This is frustrating both us and our Tavel Agent. We have sailed on Scenic, their parent company, and very pleased overall. We were sailing with Viking in early March and received credits and refunds almost immediately when they cancelled. Something is rotten with this company.

Bizarre that you have been told the “check is in the mail” when we have been told “wait until after June 30 2023 for a refund”.   I would agree that something is rotten with the company. They probably do not have sufficient cash on hand for all refunds. 

They simply want to keep the money...and use it to finance their operations and their new ship. Almost an interest-free loan from their customers! Plus they are deceptive in their practices. You may recall the letter on their website from the CEO/owner talking about how they are a private company and “well-resourced.” Not sure if it is still there. If they are so well-resourced why don’t they refund? 

I do wonder who is actually making all these decisions and feel sorry for the customer service reps who are on the front lines dealing with travel agents and irate customers.

They just lost a class action lawsuit in Australia and if they keep this up they may have another on their hands. 

All I know is my TA will never do business again with either Scenic or Emerald, nor will anyone in the agency. She has issued a “do not book” to all her agents. 

• Like 1

There were some posts on this board before COVID-19 which made me want to avoid Scenic.

My TA had done a Scenic cruise several years ago. She didn't say much when she returned - I will have to ask if she liked it.

Our TA just received an email from Scenic cancelling our October river cruise:

We hope that you are all well and starting to adapt as the Australian and New Zealand Governments slowly start to ease the recent health and safety restrictions.

However, due to the continued Government travel restrictions and international border closures, it continues to be impossible for us to operate our scheduled itineraries for Australian and New Zealand guests with departure dates prior to 31 October 2020.

*   Unforgettable Douro (DOUR121020.1) 11 days from 12 Oct 2020 to 22 Oct 2020

This situation is totally out of our control and the COVID-19 pandemic is a force majeure event as defined within the Scenic terms and conditions. To support your business and your client´s future travel plans we have applied 110% of the amount paid for your client´s reservation to a Future Travel Credit (FTC) voucher.

The flexible conditions for your client´s Future Travel Credit are as follows:

*   Valid for travel commenced through to 30 June 2023
  *   The 110% FTC voucher is based on the amount paid for your client´s reservation to date
  *   The FTC voucher can be applied to any booking within the Scenic Group (Scenic Luxury Cruises & Tours, Emerald Cruises and Evergreen Cruises & Tours)
  *   The credit can be applied to any existing booking or when re-booking your client´s future travel
  *   Is fully transferrable to another guest
  *   Upon the expiry of the FTC voucher on 30 June 2023, clients who are unable to travel may request a cash refund equal to the amount paid

If you choose not to take up the option of the FTC Voucher, you can opt to cancel your booking under our standard terms and conditions, which can be found on our website.

It's not entirely clear whether this applies to Australian and NZ clients only, or is more general.   Given the high proportion of Scenic's clientele from downunder I'd be surprised if they operate their cruises for UK/North American passengers only.  However I wasn't expecting them to cancel so early.

Upthread I posted a question about this cruise - fortunately they have cancelled three or four weeks before we had to make final payment.  We think we will ask to apply the 110% FTC towards our Russian cruise in 2021.  Fingers crossed Scenic are still in business.

Our flights this year (all paid in advance in full) were going to have been from Emirates from NZ to Porto, and they seem to be offering the option of replacement flights with no further payment to anywhere in the same geographical region, so we would use these to fly to Moscow in 2021.