BCSays no international travellers

no fuss travel

The Premier of B.C. has stated there will be no international visitors and only essential visitors allowed from other parts of Canada to the province. I guess all cruise lines can say good bye to Alaska cruises this year. The border between the USA and B.C. will remain closed except for essential services. tourism is not an essential service according to the Premier..  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, no fuss travel said:

The Premier of B.C. has stated there will be no international visitors and only essential visitors allowed from other parts of Canada to the province. I guess all cruise lines can say good bye to Alaska cruises this year. The border between the USA and B.C. will remain closed except for essential services. tourism is not an essential service according to the Premier..  

I think most  cruise lines have already abandoned  the Alaska season  this year

What is  an essential visitor??

27 minutes ago, PirateShark said:

Do you have a link for this news?

Try CBC.ca or bctv.ca. It was on the news tonight and we watched the

Premier his speech at 3pm our time. This is only the second time our premier has spoken to the province. He has left it to Dr Bonnie to determine what is best for our province and she has done an excellent job.  I think he is the only leader that I know of who has left the handling of the virus to the expert and has not made false statements about the virus

• Like 2

To add a little to the discussion. Our Premier said that to open the border we had to see that the other side had their situation successfully managed. I can't recall his exact wording but I took him to mean that the virus had to be really shut down. At the moment we impose 14 day quarantine unless essential workers such as truck drivers. 

9 hours ago, no fuss travel said:

He has left it to Dr Bonnie to determine what is best for our province and she has done an excellent job.  I think he is the only leader that I know of who has left the handling of the virus to the expert and has not made false statements about the virus

BC is being very cautious opening up (note we have always been more open than other jurisdictions). We have been so fortunate to be guided by our Chief Medical Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry supported by our Minister of Heath Adrian Dix. Just go to YouTube and search Dr Bonnie Henry to view how press briefings should be (there have been more than 50) - factual based on science, empathetic, transparent, honest, trustworthy, etc. Her words "Stay Safe, Be Calm, Be Kind".

PS Disappointed I didn't get an order for the Dr Henry Fluevog. 😞 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, no fuss travel said:

10 hours ago, PirateShark said:

Do you have a link for this news?

10 hours ago, no fuss travel said:

Try CBC.ca or bctv.ca. It was on the news tonight and we watched the

Premier his speech at 3pm our time. This is only the second time our premier has spoken to the province. He has left it to Dr Bonnie to determine what is best for our province and she has done an excellent job.  I think he is the only leader that I know of who has left the handling of the virus to the expert and has not made false statements about the virus

Any restrictions on international travel aren't made by a provincial government  in Canada or a state government in the US. International travel is controlled by national governments, not local. I'm sure all your premier was doing was reiterating the international travel restrictions set by your national government.

Here are Canada's rules:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Any restrictions on international travel aren't made by a provincial government  in Canada or a state government in the US. International travel is controlled by national governments, not local

True however The BC Medical Officer's order that all persons entering from outside of Canada must quarantine for 14 days still stands. This is MANDATORY. 

• Like 1

Does this mean that there will be no international flights into Vancouver at all from the US or anywhere?

That could mess up travel plans for anyone flying to/from Asia connecting at YVR.

21 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Does this mean that there will be no international flights into Vancouver at all from the US or anywhere?

That could mess up travel plans for anyone flying to/from Asia connecting at YVR.

Checked current YVR departures & arrivals and found a couple of international flights to/from a couple of US and Asian cities.

This is the current YVR COVID 19 update (note Canadian borders are currently closed to foreign nationals).

https://www.yvr.ca/en/updates/covid-19-update-2

Once border restrictions are eased would suspect availability of flights will be dependent upon airlines offering the flights. I also think that our province will not be rescinding the mandatory 14 day quarantine but may allow in transit connections where passengers will not be entering the general population. This quarantine measure was introduced very early and has been very successful at helping us to control the outbreak. Note these are just my thoughts and I do not have any proof that this will be the situation.

1 hour ago, LJRVancouver said:

True however The BC Medical Officer's order that all persons entering from outside of Canada must quarantine for 14 days still stands. This is MANDATORY. 

Right...but I was reacting to the OP's thread title of "BC Says No International Travelers" and the start of the post, which says" The Premier of B.C. has stated there will be no international visitors". Those are false statements. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Just got an email from Oceania offering a slew of discounted cruises going to Canada starting in July. Many start or end in Vancouver! 😂

They will probably be in the next round of cancelled cruises 😉

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

They will probably be in the next round of cancelled cruises 😉

Sell them this week and cancel them in two! But hey, they’ll give you a FCC! Is this really good business practice ! 😂

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pinotlover said:

Sell them this week and cancel them in two! But hey, they’ll give you a FCC! 😂

have you tried to book one?

They are not going to remove them from the listings  until they are ready to cancel just like the previous cancellations

be prepared for the same issues to take place with all Sept/October

Montreal/Boston/NewYork sailings--------not just with Oceania but everyone----and all of these Cruises are still up for sale.   Caveat Emptor!