Why didn't cruise ships have balcony cabins until the 1990s?

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Happy Hour, Naval Station Roosevelt Roads:  Rum and Coke 10 cents,  plain Coca Cola 15 cents.

I'd have taken the "Co-Cola" as we Atlantans called it.

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

Ah, yes:  that is to Fulton County what rose is to Provence.

You should have seen and heard my theatrics when Burger King switched to Pepsi for a period of time. And now Costco. No, no and no. Not ever. No matter what.

12 minutes ago, clo said:

You should have seen and heard my theatrics when Burger King switched to Pepsi for a period of time. And now Costco. No, no and no. Not ever. No matter what.

You remind me of an old Clancy Brothers refrain: “No, nay, never, no nay never no more...”

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You remind me of an old Clancy Brothers refrain: “No, nay, never, no nay never no more...”

I was a huge fan of the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem and spent many an evening in his bar in Manhattan.That was when I was healthy.My older daughter is a huge fan of Shane MacGowan.

On 5/20/2020 at 4:07 PM, cruisemom42 said:

We sailed a number of times with Fairwind (and once on Fairsea, a fabulous 14-day Alaska cruise round-trip from San Francisco) from around 1974 through 1984.

I wouldn't say there was "nothing" for kids -- have you forgotten the small children's area up and aft with a couple of counselors, various games, toys and puzzles and some activities? And the pachinko game that was perenially broken?  On cruises with lots of kids, the older ones would take over the "diner" room next door -- the one with the jukebox and a soda counter. Sometimes they even gave out free sodas for an hour or so.... 

They did have a costume making contest for kids (complete with our own part in the "costume parade" and a kids' talent night on some cruises.

I certainly remember them fondly. I thought they had more on offer back then than HAL did when I cruised them with my son, even 30 years later!

My daughter was only 7 on her first cruise and actually wanted to spend time with  us so we didn't push her to go but yes, you are right, there were counselors on board.  I do not remember a room with arcade type games but I do remember now that you mention it a long table where the kids could color and play games together.  I remember the counselor taking the kids to the bar area, sitting in the back corner and buying them drinks.  They thought they were so grown up.  My DD chose to go to the restaurant and learn napkin folding.  To her that was really fun.  She often helped them set up for dinner.  Back then the entire staff was allowed to engage with the kids and there were so few sailing that it was a joy for them to spend time with the younger ones since the only connection they had to their family was calling home while in port.  I guess that is why people still give "tips" of calling cards to the crew.  So they can call home on public phones LOL.

On 5/10/2020 at 4:51 PM, rkacruiser said:

Rotterdam V, 1970 and 1971:  Draft Heineken Beer was sold for 10 cents/glass. 

Loved that ship Heineken was 75 cents I believe on my trips in 1977 and 78 for a bottle. Happy hour in my army base in Germany all drinks were 15 cents in 1970, normally 30 cents. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

Loved that ship Heineken was 75 cents I believe on my trips in 1977 and 78 for a bottle. Happy hour in my army base in Germany all drinks were 15 cents in 1970, normally 30 cents. 

Not a cruise memory but when we were in college and broke we'd go to the Moose Lodge in Olean NY, a guy we knew was a member and he'd get us in on Friday afternoons after classes ended for the week.  The old guys at the bar were happy to buy 25 cent mixed drinks for a gaggle of cute college girls, we always drank free.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, notentirelynormal said:

I guess that is why people still give "tips" of calling cards to the crew.  So they can call home on public phones LOL.

In these days of wifi calling and chat apps, not a lot of need for a calling card any longer.

• Like 1

I don't remember ever seeing a pay phone on a cruise ship...... before or after the 1990's.

But isn't the topic of this thread  how come ships didn't have balcony cabins until the 1990's?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marco said:

I don't remember ever seeing a pay phone on a cruise ship...... before or after the 1990's.

But isn't the topic of this thread  how come ships didn't have balcony cabins until the 1990's?

Not on the ship but there was always a long row right inside the terminal that was full with crew members.

4 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Ever try to make a call home from a cabin phone?

Yes.  I made two.  Royal Viking Sky, 1980, shortly after sailing around the North Cape at Midnight and before going to bed.  I called my Mother simply because I was in such a unique position.  It's a call that I will never forget.  She said that the call began with the ship's Radio Officer telling her that a call was incoming and please stay on the line.  He then connected me with the call.  Mother's first words were:  "What's wrong"?  I had to assure her:  all was very well!

The second call was on my return trip to the US in 1980 on QE2 to her.  Really don't remember any specific reason for doing so other than I wanted to do it.  Again, there was a bit of concern from her on the other end of the call, initially.  But, it was a good call.

What did those two calls cost me, I wonder?  No memory of that, but, I am glad that I did so because it was a treat for me (at that time) and, after getting home, my Mother and Father was glad that I had called.  (Post cards traveled slowly then as they do now and as for e-mails?  What's that?)

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes.  I made two.  Royal Viking Sky, 1980, shortly after sailing around the North Cape at Midnight and before going to bed.  I called my Mother simply because I was in such a unique position.  It's a call that I will never forget.  She said that the call began with the ship's Radio Officer telling her that a call was incoming and please stay on the line.  He then connected me with the call.  Mother's first words were:  "What's wrong"?  I had to assure her:  all was very well!

The second call was on my return trip to the US in 1980 on QE2 to her.  Really don't remember any specific reason for doing so other than I wanted to do it.  Again, there was a bit of concern from her on the other end of the call, initially.  But, it was a good call.

What did those two calls cost me, I wonder?  No memory of that, but, I am glad that I did so because it was a treat for me (at that time) and, after getting home, my Mother and Father was glad that I had called.  (Post cards traveled slowly then as they do now and as for e-mails?  What's that?)

I made one on my cruise in 1973 on a Cunard ship but I do not recall why.

Perhaps there was no Wi-Fi that day 😀

Cruise pass history (in millions)

1980 1.4

1990 3.8
2000 7.2
2010 18.4
2018 28.2

Supply and Demand changed things over the years.  I suspect in the 1990’s, the volume of cruisers Versus the 1980’s created the need to turn this into of a more sustainable and enjoyable vacation experience. And every decade seems to double from the previous decade .  What will happen by 2030?