Cuisings New Normal

22 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Here are some impacts I believe we could see:

* No self serve on buffets - employees dish food to you. (This will also cut way back on Norovirus!)

* Enforced check in arrival time windows (tough one - plane arrivals are not under our control) or at least metered admission to the check in and waiting areas. May need to have later sailing times to allow for extra time.

* More intensive health screening as well at check in

* slower exit from the ship at ports 

* slower tendering 

* lower capacity in all public areas - longer waits for dining rooms, shows full at 50% seating

* lower capacity at bars - harder to get a drink. wait in a line for space in a bar?

* lower capacity around pools - maybe check in and out for chairs so they can sanitize in between and prevent all day hogs?

If these things become the 'new normal', it will be bye bye cruising for me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, erdoran said:

What gives me the most pause is if I come down with Covid during the cruise.  We can all do everything right but get infected on the flight or even on the cruise by someone who tested negative on boarding.  And if one person starts showing symptoms given that you are contagious 2-3 days before, then lots of people on the ship will have it.  Does the ship have enough ventilators?  Will the port patients get dropped off at?  Will the port even accept them?  THAT’S my nightmare and why I would have to see an effective vaccine before even considering cruising - separately from cost issues.

This.

If there is an outbreak on the ship, that will be very bad. With so many people traveling from other places and staying in hotels and such, it's inevitable they'll carry it on. IMHO not until there is a vaccine.

One thing I can see coming is restricting shore excursions to NCL provided excursions only. You want to go ashore, you take an NCL shore excursion. This is for your safety. We will take you to a bus, then to a special section of a beach, reserved just for you. You wont be allowed to leave that section, this would also protect the islanders from you. You wont be exposed to anything on the island and then you're shuttled back to the ship. Of course all these extra precautions will increase the price of your shore excursion. And you wont catch anything on the island. But just in case you will have to sign a waiver saying you wont hold NCL responsible. 

I started typing this tongue in cheek but after re-reading it, I can see the cruise lines doing this. It might be the only way the islands will let us dock.

I only see that sort of scenario occurring as a condition imposed by the foreign port. By implication passengers would be confined to the ship as to do otherwise would make impossible enforcement of a ban on non-cruiseline excursions.

I do think one of the biggest stumbling blocks for renewed itineraries would be ports allowing ships back. Perhaps some of the first itineraries to be offered might be short 3/4 day itineraries going from Florida to private islands like GSC, Coco Caye, HMC etc. Since contact with locals is minimized, objections would be less. These cruises could be attractive to younger people who are at far lower risk of serious illness from Covid19.

21 hours ago, localoneguy said:

One of the other factors that must be considered is that fact that many people have lost their jobs and won’t be spending money on vacation. Even those with jobs returning will have lost a certain percentage of their salary. So spending might be tight for the foreseeable future.

there you go, i believe this too.

2 hours ago, disneykins said:

One thing I can see coming is restricting shore excursions to NCL provided excursions only. You want to go ashore, you take an NCL shore excursion. This is for your safety. We will take you to a bus, then to a special section of a beach, reserved just for you. You wont be allowed to leave that section, this would also protect the islanders from you. You wont be exposed to anything on the island and then you're shuttled back to the ship. Of course all these extra precautions will increase the price of your shore excursion. And you wont catch anything on the island. But just in case you will have to sign a waiver saying you wont hold NCL responsible. 

I started typing this tongue in cheek but after re-reading it, I can see the cruise lines doing this. It might be the only way the islands will let us dock.

Forcing NCL passengers to use the Cruise Line excursions to go ashore would be a complete fail. It wouldn't work. I'm fairly new to the Cruise Critic forums, but a lot of folks seem to be letting their imaginations run away with them...

• Like 2

On 5/7/2020 at 9:49 AM, PelicanBill said:

* lower capacity in all public areas - longer waits for dining rooms, shows full at 50% seating

Well Bill, let's hope this doesn't apply to 'Howl At The Moon' as that would really be a buzz kill on the chemistry of that show. 🥴

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 2:49 PM, PelicanBill said:

Here are some impacts I believe we could see:

* No self serve on buffets - employees dish food to you. (This will also cut way back on Norovirus!)

* Enforced check in arrival time windows (tough one - plane arrivals are not under our control) or at least metered admission to the check in and waiting areas. May need to have later sailing times to allow for extra time.

* More intensive health screening as well at check in

* slower exit from the ship at ports 

* slower tendering 

* lower capacity at bars - harder to get a drink. wait in a line for space in a bar?

* lower capacity around pools - maybe check in and out for chairs so they can sanitize in between and prevent all day hogs?

I’d suspect most of that too with a couple of other items

Any ship that doesn’t already have it will have to upgrade their aircon to be HEPA standard throughout.

also the only way that they can lower capacity at various venues is if they lower the capacity overall in the number of guests onboard.

btw I love how optimist everyone is about a vaccine for this virus. The common head cold is caused by a variety of viruses some of which are also corona virus types but there’s no vaccine for those. The first and more likely step will be a solid treatment regime for those already infected using existing medications and therapies. If a recognised therapy/treatment is established I’d suspect cruise ships will be expected to have the capability to treat any of their personnel or guests onboard or they won’t be able to sail. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, HuliHuli said:

Well Bill, let's hope this doesn't apply to 'Howl At The Moon' as that would really be a buzz kill on the chemistry of that show. 🥴

I choose to view it as better chance to get a front seat!

19 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

I’d suspect most of that too with a couple of other items

Any ship that doesn’t already have it will have to upgrade their aircon to be HEPA standard throughout.

also the only way that they can lower capacity at various venues is if they lower the capacity overall in the number of guests onboard.

btw I love how optimist everyone is about a vaccine for this virus. The common head cold is caused by a variety of viruses some of which are also corona virus types but there’s no vaccine for those. The first and more likely step will be a solid treatment regime for those already infected using existing medications and therapies. If a recognised therapy/treatment is established I’d suspect cruise ships will be expected to have the capability to treat any of their personnel or guests onboard or they won’t be able to sail. 

Yea we've seen that air circulation might have been a factor in the worse cruise ship situations.

And you are right about the vaccine - it remains to be seen if this will mutate often like the seasonal flu as well, so that some seasons could see worse impact than others. Filling the hospitals again.  We need effective treatment to reduce the death rate.  Ventilators is not treatment - it's extending a person's life to give them oxygen hoping they defeat the virus before it starves them of oxygen.

And the CDC return plan for cruising calls for all ships to have ICU level facilities, higher capacity and qualified staff.  That's not easy or fast to make ready.

Personally I would not mind lower capacity cruising. My first post covid cruise will be in the Haven...less people. Also larger space in case of quarantine. I still plan to cruise. Hopefully in December. 

Many of the other changes mentioned...just require patience.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, krittykat said:

Personally I would not mind lower capacity cruising

That will mean for sure way higher pricing, same thing for airlines. Its for sure a bad thing

33 minutes ago, Comi.uy said:

That will mean for sure way higher pricing, same thing for airlines. Its for sure a bad thing

It may be more expensive...no more $599 7 day cruise or $59 one way flights.  One may have to pay more for a vacation. One will have to ask themselves, how much are they willing to pay to take a 7 day vacation which includes room and board, along with entertainment.

I do not cruise frequently. This is my splurge. If the price goes up...then I will save up and splurge.

• Like 1

There's a lot of unknown, but it's reasonable to believe that, for a variety of reasons, costs will indeed go up significantly. For myself, it'll be a matter of frequency plus cost/benefit comparison between cruising and land-based holiday.

10 minutes ago, JB Books said:

There's a lot of unknown, but it's reasonable to believe that, for a variety of reasons, costs will indeed go up significantly. For myself, it'll be a matter of frequency plus cost/benefit comparison between cruising and land-based holiday.

Completely agree. I still will want to cruise. I know I will likely pay more. If that means less bodies on the boat, I don't mind in the least. I do not really like crowds. 

I know it will be harder for some to cruise or fly if prices go up, but in my opinion, bargain basement pricing cheapens the experience.

• Like 1