San Diego pre cruise Hotel

Just look down the board...many recommended here. The nicer hotels are further away from the port, into the Gas Lamp or Convention Center area.

Taxi or Uber/Lyft would be cheaper, more readily available, and easier than a shuttle.

13 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Just look down the board...many recommended here. The nicer hotels are further away from the port, into the Gas Lamp or Convention Center area.

Taxi or Uber/Lyft would be cheaper, more readily available, and easier than a shuttle.

Is there uber XL we have 6 pc luggage 

"Medium to high price" doesn't tell us much, a dollar amount per night would more helpful.

It also isn't true that the "nicer hotels are further away from the port". The Intercontinental Hotel is directly across the street from the terminal and one of the nicest hotels in Downtown. Also very nice and close are the Hotel Republic (Marriott Autograph Collection) and Carte Hotel (Hilton Curio Collection).

Also directly across from the cruise port are the Marriott Residence Inn and SpringHill Suites.

Yes you can get Uber XL in SD.

3 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

"Medium to high price" doesn't tell us much, a dollar amount per night would more helpful.

It also isn't true that the "nicer hotels are further away from the port". The Intercontinental Hotel is directly across the street from the terminal and one of the nicest hotels in Downtown. Also very nice and close are the Hotel Republic (Marriott Autograph Collection) and Carte Hotel (Hilton Curio Collection).

Also directly across from the cruise port are the Marriott Residence Inn and SpringHill Suites.

Yes you can get Uber XL in SD.

So it sounds like a Uber from the airport and a Uber to the port.

My go to hotel in SD when I cruise is the Hampton Inn on Pacific Hwy.  They have a shuttle available from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the terminal.  If I only have 1 suitcase I just walk over to the terminal.  

What kind of shopping are you interested in?  There's a Rite Aid a few blocks away where you can pick up incidentals and wine, and a Ralph's grocery store further away if you like a long walk, otherwise call an Uber.  They're very plentiful in downtown San Diego.  

San Diego has a lot of hotels that can easily work for cruisers.

53 minutes ago, Roz said:

My go to hotel in SD when I cruise is the Hampton Inn on Pacific Hwy.  They have a shuttle available from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the terminal.  If I only have 1 suitcase I just walk over to the terminal.  

What kind of shopping are you interested in?  There's a Rite Aid a few blocks away where you can pick up incidentals and wine, and a Ralph's grocery store further away if you like a long walk, otherwise call an Uber.  They're very plentiful in downtown San Diego.  

San Diego has a lot of hotels that can easily work for cruisers.

Thanks for the info.

We got a great deal using points at the Hotel Republic we will be on the volendam for 33 days now just got to work on transfers

You're just a few blocks from the cruise terminal.  San Diego's cruise terminal, airport, and downtown are all close to each other, much like Ft. Lauderdale.  No need to "work" on transfers.  Just use a taxi or Uber, unless you feel the need for a limo or car service that's reserved in advance.

15 minutes ago, Roz said:

You're just a few blocks from the cruise terminal.  San Diego's cruise terminal, airport, and downtown are all close to each other, much like Ft. Lauderdale.  No need to "work" on transfers.  Just use a taxi or Uber, unless you feel the need for a limo or car service that's reserved in advance.

Uber sounds good as long as I can get a  XL, 6 suite cases

Edited by Gail & Marty sailing away

San Diego is crawling with Ubers.  You'll do fine.  San Diego is one of my favorite cities to cruise from.  I go there frequently. 

Burger?  🍔 You want a burger for dinner?  Why not head over to Little Italy?  🍝🍕🥗

Seriously, if you want burgers, try Hodad’s Downtown at 945 Broadway.  Decorated like a beach/surfer shop.

Hodad's wouldn't be my pick. I'll tolerate Hodad's in Ocean Beach because it's a "thing" to go there after volleyball among my friends.

Close to the cruise port you have a fancy burger at Juniper & Ivy, less fancy at Queenstown Pub and even less fancy at Burger Lounge, but it is grass fed beef.