Best way to do just Gumbalimba and Chocolate Factory

workingjoe2001

Hi All, We will (hopefully) be visiting Roatan in October. We will have 6 adults and 4 kids (3 of which are only 2-years-old) with us so our excursion needs to be short and kid friendly. We think that going to Gumbalimba Park and then stopping by the Chocolate factory on the way back to the ship might work. But what is the best (and economical) way to do this? For those of you with experience, do you think we should just get a taxi, or a driver for the day, or actually book with one of the local tour providers??? Any and All advice is welcomed!!!

Also, does anyone know what the price of Gumbalimba (just the park - no zip line obviously :) is? I have seen $35 and $45 for adults lately.

Thanks in advance!

Gumbalimda Park is only open to cruise passengers via a cruise ship sponsored excursion.  Check your cruise line to see details and if Chocolate Factory is included. But Gumbalima Park is closer to the West Bay and the Chocolate Factory is up at West End.  No direct road between. 

You may wish to take the ship excursion to Gumbalima and a taxi to the Chocolate Factory then return to ship.  But you'd be wasting transportation $ and taxis aren't lining up outside Gumbalima to pick up passengers so catching one could be difficult.

And more expensive if your ship is docking at Mahogany Bay vs Coxen Hole.

On 5/8/2020 at 6:48 AM, crewsweeper said:

Gumbalimda Park is only open to cruise passengers via a cruise ship sponsored excursion.  Check your cruise line to see details and if Chocolate Factory is included. But Gumbalima Park is closer to the West Bay and the Chocolate Factory is up at West End.  No direct road between. 

You may wish to take the ship excursion to Gumbalima and a taxi to the Chocolate Factory then return to ship.  But you'd be wasting transportation $ and taxis aren't lining up outside Gumbalima to pick up passengers so catching one could be difficult.

And more expensive if your ship is docking at Mahogany Bay vs Coxen Hole.

I must be missing something.... you are saying West End and West Bay are not connected via road?   You really gotta explan this to me cause back in the day I walked the road between West End and West Bay. 

Maybe the OP could choose the park like Gumbalimba, Manawakie the website says it is open to the public as well as cruise ships visitors. Depending on time you might could get to the Chocolate Factory in West End as well.... you would see a fair amount of the island while doing so. :0)  http://www.manawakieecopark.com/

Time is a worry with cruise visitors... one could take the ship excursion to Gumbalimba, Water Taxi to West End then take a land taxi back to the ship.... but time is a worry and I am not sure I could stand the pressure. 

Guest, you are correct on the road but I meant a direct road along the beach.  And as I recall the entrance to Gumbalinda is on the inland side so even getting to the water taxi is difficult.  As far as anyone going to the park, people living on the island or staying in hotels can go on their own, although I think it takes a reservation from the hotel to gain admission.  Cruise ship passengers are required to take the ship excursion. (free bus).

If the OP wants to DIY, Manawakie is a good alternative.  And the Chocolate Factory doable.

But you are correct, time is the worry for any cruise passenger heading anywhere, especially, DIY.

On 5/11/2020 at 7:19 AM, crewsweeper said:

Guest, you are correct on the road but I meant a direct road along the beach.  And as I recall the entrance to Gumbalinda is on the inland side so even getting to the water taxi is difficult.  As far as anyone going to the park, people living on the island or staying in hotels can go on their own, although I think it takes a reservation from the hotel to gain admission.  Cruise ship passengers are required to take the ship excursion. (free bus).

If the OP wants to DIY, Manawakie is a good alternative.  And the Chocolate Factory doable.

But you are correct, time is the worry for any cruise passenger heading anywhere, especially, DIY.

Gumbalimba has a beach right on the water and the taxi guys are hungry enough they will stop anyplace... then again along with time being a problem...one would haven to get in the water taxi from the sand not a pier. 

Anywho, the OP has Bodden all lined out... good plan there. 

• Like 1