HAL is dirty and crooked

rhinomike

So HAL waited until the day after final payment was due on our cruise for August and then cancelled it. Then proceeds to tell you it will take 90 days to get your refund. That is dirty, wrong and bad business.  We called them the day before and they assured us our cruise was a go so we allowed the final payment. Then the next day I get an email saying our cruise is cancelled. They took $20k from me and will keep it for 90 days along with everyone else on that ship.  I know exactly what they are doing and it is wrong. My cruise was cancelled on two other lines and they didn’t pull this kind of shady stuff. HAL will never get another penny of my money. I am sure the cheerleaders will defend them but how do you defend this?  They are getting desperate. Anybody that chooses a FCC you maywant to think again. I think they are in trouble to pull this kind of shady stuff. 

Edited by rhinomike
Typo
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, rhinomike said:

So HAL waited until the day after final payment was due on our cruise for August and then cancelled it. Then proceeds to tell you it will take 90 days to get your refund. That is dirty, wrong and bad business.  We called them the day before and they assured us our cruise was a go so we allowed the final payment. Then the next day I get an email saying our cruise is cancelled. They took $20k from me and will keep it for 90 days along with everyone else on that ship.  I know exactly what they are doing and it is wrong. My cruise was cancelled on two other lines and they didn’t pull this kind of shady stuff. HAL will never get another penny of my money. I am sure the cheerleaders will defend them but how do you defend this?  They are getting desperate. Anybody that chooses a FCC you maywant to think again. I think they are in trouble to pull this kind of shady stuff. 

Sadly, I think you may be correct. And I really loved HAL.  They have a fortune of my money for over 60 days now.  They have been silent, absolutely silent. I have not received a single communication from them, other than form emails responding to my pleas for our money back.

This is textbook case of what NOT to do in a crisis.  Mr. Ashford needs to be replaced.

• Like 5

You need to do it.  They announced yesterday about cruises being discontinued for the rest of 2020 for  Alaska, Canada/New England, and Europe.  Now that they have made that decision maybe they can get organized on processing refunds.  I wouldn’t wait, you will be at the bottom of the refund list.

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Like 2

That is not good to assure you the day before they cancel.

I'm not going on a cruise unless I can pay at the last minute.

They need to keep the loyal base loyal. We will be the customers in the early days after reopening. They shouldn't be doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 4

Really a sad statement for HAL.  Who would book a cruise with them.  I know they are not the only cruise line who does not put payments for future cruises into a trust account so refunds are easy,  but confirming a cruise to insure final payment?  Shameful.  JMO  Cherie

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tennessee Titan said:

You and tens of thousands of others.

Maybe you never experienced a REAL cash flow problem in your life?? Like no food on the table??

Actually I have. But I never stole or did anything dirty. I have honor and integrity. That is how I run my many companies. I take responsibility for my myself, my companies and my actions. 

• Like 5

Who told the poster that the cruise would go on?  Anyone who knew anything beyond that it was still showing on the website?  Moreover, decisions are being made on a day by day basis.  It is a miasma of a time for these cruise companies.  

That is not to say that anyone should have been told the day before final that the cruise was a go. Very poor chain of command involved.  HAL will have to get the communications open to the people dealing with pax.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rhinomike said:

yes. I’m sure I can. But that is not how I like to do things. But I might do it. I am going to think about it. 

What are you thinking About????   I would get it stopped as soon as I could and any way I could.

• Like 2

I called my credit card company. They said it was any easy dispute so I went ahead and filed it.  I have never done that before and I don’t like to but what they did was shady and bad customer service. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rhinomike said:

Sad to hear this, and totally wrong, can you remember the person's name, because he/she lied to you and that should never happen to anyone..

• Like 1

Same thing happened to us. I made the final payment on my credit card, but hadn't paid that bill since the statement hadn't closed and no payment was due to my credit card company. I called immediately and disputed the charge.

• Like 3

I'm going to remember this when it comes to our decision later this year when it comes time for our final payment for our Holiday Cruise in December. Of course I have been reading hear about all the problems people are having getting their refund and the length of time  to get that money back which is money that could certainly be used for more important things right now. Our final payment is towards the end of September unless the date gets changed and we can do it closer to sailing. When we get to that time is when we will make our decision but we both feel even at this time there is a chance it won't happen. If we cancel at final payment we would avoid the hassle of what people have been putting up with. If this ends up happening it would be so gut wrenching for us as  we have been cruising with HAL for over 32 years which includes that we have been at sea for the Holidays on board a Dam Ship every year since 1988. With the latest round of cancellations  now effecting cruises into the fall, our plans for the Holidays could be next.

• Like 1

Arnold Donald has done a minimum of three tv interviews telling interviewers that Carnival has enough cash to last a no sail business until 2021. You just have to wait for the refund. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

HAL lost my business FOREVER over their inability to refund or even communicate with their clients for cancelling. I filed a dispute with my Credit Card issuer and am awaiting my money back.

It's mind boggling that anyone would book a future cruise when all the major operators are cancelling sailings after final payments are due and then dragging their feet on refunds.  If and when they do resume service it might be with empty ships. 

• Like 3

The HAL rep probably did not lie to you.  The reps were more than likely either kept in the dark or given a drawer statement that they would rightly assume was accurate.

I believe  your issue is with HAL management.

I agree,  this is an unconscionable way to treat a customer.  It speaks volumes to me.  I thought HAL was better than this.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, rhinomike said:

I called my credit card company. They said it was any easy dispute so I went ahead and filed it.  I have never done that before and I don’t like to but what they did was shady and bad customer service. 

You are apparently a person of integrity.  The fact that you “don’t like to” go the route of the credit card dispute shows good faith on your part, but you have nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about!  In the circumstances we are in we all have to look out for our own financial situation because no one else is.  You were perfectly in your rights to file the dispute.  What would have been shady is to make final payment, then after deadline you cancel (assuming there was no pandemic - just because you had a change of heart) and then filed the dispute.  That would be shady.  But in this case, under the circumstances that transpired, absolutely not.

• Like 2