Future of Windjammer cafe?

52 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Why does eating there make a difference? You can't catch Covid-19 by eating something contaminated.  

If I have Covid-19 and cough into my hand and then touch the utensils, every single person after me that touches that utensil is at risk.  As I mentioned earlier in this thread, many of the items served there are ate with hands (sandwiches, pizza, cookies, nachos, pastries, etc.) so it's very easy to spread at a self-serve venue.  

According to this, the virus can survive several days on hard objects such as stainless steel and silverware:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/how-long-covid-19-lives-on-surfaces

Recommendations from the FDA:

https://www.fda.gov/food/food-safety-during-emergencies/best-practices-retail-food-stores-restaurants-and-food-pick-updelivery-services-during-covid-19#operations

Help customers maintain good infection control and social distancing by:

• Discontinuing operations, such as salad bars, buffets, and beverage service stations that require customers to use common utensils or dispensers.   

Edited by lovemylab

23 minutes ago, pcur said:

Not if all the food is served by staff.  This is the way it's done on HAL and I like it much better.  It's close to a no-touch environment.  I'm going to assume that HAL will go one step further, and even the drinks, appetizers, and desserts will be served by the staff.

Exactly,  Which is why I think that self serve buffets are going to be a thing of the past (at least at the beginning).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Because of Norovirus.

Sorry this is OT,  but speaking of norovirus reminded me of an article about the surprising cause (to me, anyway) of a norovirus outbreak on a cruiseline (doesn't say which line) 🤔

"The study identified frozen fruit – namely raspberries –  used to make smoothies as the culprit of a norovirus outbreak that infected hundreds of passengers on multiple cruises from a single company in 2019

Between July and  September 2019, the unnamed cruise line experienced "sudden, unexplained outbreaks" of acute gastroenteritis passed between passengers sailing on 10 ships in Europe, according to the CDC.

On Sept. 18, the VSP was notified of an acute gastroenteritis outbreak on one of the cruise line's ships that was sailing into New York from Germany.

Shortly afterward, on Oct. 7, the VSP was informed of two additional outbreaks in U.S. waters. The first was on a ship taking a round-trip voyage from New York City along the eastern seaboard that infected 85 of the ship's 2,166 passengers and 10 of its 612 crew members. On the second cruise, from Montreal to New York, 83 of 2,251 passengers and 10 of 610 crew members became ill. 

After reviewing food questionnaires from passengers on the round-trip New York City voyage, the CDC found that 80% of those sickened "implicated a smoothie made from frozen fruits and berries."

The FDA tested 16 fruit groups from the ships and found that three items tested positive for norovirus: Tropical fruit cocktail, raspberries and berry mix.

Later, the cruise line learned its food vendor had bought nearly 22,000 pounds of frozen raspberries at the end of June – right before the outbreak began – from a supplier in China. Those berries were provided to the cruise line's entire fleet. 

In November, the discovery prompted the World Health Organization to issue a recall on frozen raspberries traced back to China.

CDC spokesperson Jennifer Burchfield would not confirm the cruise line in question. However, she said, "Ten of the 13 outbreaks occurred while the ships were not sailing in U.S. jurisdiction. We do not know the total number of people infected during this multi-ship outbreak."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/04/24/cdc-report-raspberries-caused-2019-norovirus-outbreak-cruises/3018721001/

I'm glad we weren't on those particular ships as I really like smoothies and would have partaken of many of them LOL!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lovemylab said:

If I have Covid-19 and cough into my hand and then touch the utensils, every single person after me that touches that utensil is at risk.  As I mentioned earlier in this thread, many of the items served there are ate with hands (sandwiches, pizza, cookies, nachos, pastries, etc.) so it's very easy to spread at a self-serve venue.  

According to this, the virus can survive several days on hard objects such as stainless steel and silverware:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/how-long-covid-19-lives-on-surfaces

Recommendations from the FDA:

https://www.fda.gov/food/food-safety-during-emergencies/best-practices-retail-food-stores-restaurants-and-food-pick-updelivery-services-during-covid-19#operations

Help customers maintain good infection control and social distancing by:

• Discontinuing operations, such as salad bars, buffets, and beverage service stations that require customers to use common utensils or dispensers.   

I agree with what you say.  But I just feel there are also many other surfaces people touch after coughing into their hands.

3 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

As soon as they allow swimming in people soup in small pools again they can also permit buffets by adding some more control measures

Why is this myth constantly being told.  Pools are completely safe from C-virus.

I've posted this on multiple threads.

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 8.26.29 PM.png

• Like 2

I have no idea why some people, with all their concerns, would even consider taking a cruise in the near future. It would seem that their time aboard would be spent being very stressed out. I can only imagine what a trip to the grocery store must do to them these days.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Why is this myth constantly being told.  Pools are completely safe from C-virus.

The issue isn’t so much viruses being spread through the water. It’s the 300 of your friends cramming into a tiny pool that’s the problem. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

You might have some valid thoughts, but as usual, I stop reading the moment your American stereotypes kick in. 

It never fails.

I might not express myself always the most diplomatic but as you know, the truth somethimes hurts and I am touching sensitive topics here, you don't need to comment but give it a though:

That the eating habits in the US are considered as very unhealthy and probably the most unhealthy in the Western World is a fact. If you go into windjammer for instance and you see what people load on their plates the saying "You are what you eat" perfectly applies. Unfortunately the US has many propblems and the food issue is just one of them, maybe also connected in a way to the bad or almost inexistent healthcare system same as for almost inexisitent employer rights. No country is perfect but it is such as shame that this "great" America that might have existed in the past is becoming always more a banana republic. Another examples the guns, how many 1000's of additional civilians need to be killed that the american people and their politicians will implement strong laws against weapons.

12 hours ago, lovemylab said:

Exactly,  Which is why I think that self serve buffets are going to be a thing of the past (at least at the beginning).

there will need to remain a option on board where a relatively large crowd can be fed fast, hence it will still be more effective to have staff serving food to plates than adding another sit down venue. They will just need to limit the amount of guests in the venue and have staff serving them. Also the concept could be adjusted for the salad bar and burgers into a made to order, where you have one counter to order and another one to pick your meal up once your number will be called / shown on the display (ticket system). At the other stations same setup as today you would just have a staff member serving the food onto oyur plate instead of you taking it yourself.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ToroAzul said:

One legit option could be serving style of Wicked Spoon buffet at Cosmo in Vegas. 

Many items are portioned in individual plate/bowls/baskets

I was thinking this too!!!!  This could work

but will need many many small bowls and plates. 

56 minutes ago, mook1525 said:

I was thinking this too!!!!  This could work

but will need many many small bowls and plates. 

My idea is a formed tray with 2 entree sized zones and 4 side sized zones similar to a bento box. The disposable containers could then fit in the formed zones of the tray. If a diner felt the need for more than the already sizable meal they could just start the process again. 

• Like 1

Just now, MADflyer said:

My idea is a formed tray with 2 entree sized zones and 4 side sized zones similar to a bento box. The disposable containers could then fit in the formed zones of the tray. If a diner felt the need for more than the already sizable meal they could just start the process again. 

This sounds sorta like what Virgin already had planned.

• Like 1

Just now, Biker19 said:

This sounds sorta like what Virgin already had planned.

I have not read much about them. I will check that out. Something along those lines will work. 

Technology that functions will really give them a lot of possibilities.  A sushi order could be placed on one's own cell phone and then when you approach the station or enter the Windjammer, your order could be prepared and presented when you arrive at the Sushi station and so on..... 

They will find a solution, that I am sure of. I actually think the solution can be a healthier, higher quality option to current buffet options. 

One summer on Celebrity Summit a few years ago they had a test in the buffet where all the food was pre placed in separate small baskets. We picked up a bunch of baskets instead of using tongs. It didn’t go over well because it was not what passengers were used to. It seemed too weird. Also it probably did not cut down on waste as people would grab multiple baskets. I could see something like that test being accepted now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, LXA350 said:

That the eating habits in the US are considered as very unhealthy and probably the most unhealthy in the Western World is a fact. If you go into windjammer for instance and you see what people load on their plates the saying "You are what you eat" perfectly applies. Unfortunately the US has many propblems and the food issue is just one of them, maybe also connected in a way to the bad or almost inexistent healthcare system same as for almost inexisitent employer rights. No country is perfect but it is such as shame that this "great" America that might have existed in the past is becoming always more a banana republic. Another examples the guns, how many 1000's of additional civilians need to be killed that the american people and their politicians will implement strong laws against weapons.

I'm not American but I have never read bigger bunch nonsense in all my time on this forum. Honestly, you ought to be embarrassed displaying this level of ignorance. If you want to talk about bad governance at least confine yourself to something that you may be qualified to speak about, the unmitigated disaster that is the crumbling corrupt EU experiment.

Congratulations, you get to be the first person I have ever put on ignore.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm not American but I have never read bigger bunch nonsense in all my time on this forum. Honestly, you ought to be embarrassed displaying this level of ignorance. If you want to talk about bad governance at least confine yourself to something that you may be qualified to speak about, the unmitigated disaster that is the crumbling corrupt EU experiment.

Congratulations, you get to be the first person I have ever put on ignore.

Even that I seem to be ignored I will reply anyhow:

Am I proud on what is happening in the EU No, do I think this whole "experiment" is good, No. Do I question the things that are happening in the EU or anywhere else in the world, Yes. Is politics in general a dirty game, mostly yes. If I would be ignorant I wouldn't care less what is happening in the US, but exactly bcause I am not ignorant I do get to hear about the problems in the US from a less biest perspective as a local and do care and would wish that the population wakes up that things will get better in the future. Example Obama, I personally wasn't a fan of him but why, because when it came to foreign politics I often did not support his views and actions. However if successfull or not he at least it looks like he tried to improve things for the poorest in his country. If a country does not have a healthy middle class and the inbalance between the poor and rich will be to high the country could end up in civil war conditions.

The handful of times we've eaten dinner in the Jammer it wasn't even close to being crowded so it wouldn't surprise me to see them adding more MDR lunch options and more poolside options to keep people spread out. I would also call them welcome additions despite the virus.