Future of Windjammer cafe?

21 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You said I must not have been on the Royal mega ships which was wrong. Food is a matter of taste but my opinion is that Royals food is meh. No where near excellent. Celebrity and Princess are somewhat better and HAL better. Oceania pretty good. To each their own but I have to laugh at you calling any mainstream cruise line buffet food as excellent. Maybe for those who like to pile their plates high and shovel it in. If you like quantity over quality you might call that excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Maybe for those who like to pile their plates high and shovel it in. If you like quantity over quality you might call that excellent." I do not do that and to insinuate that I might is very insulting. If you do not like buffet food, stay out of the buffet. There are many of us that do and I bet like what they offer. I Love comfort food. I am a person that likes Pizza, Hamburgers, hot dogs, steak, bacon and eggs, fried chicken, navy bean soup and alike. I was in the NAVY and if you were in the service, you would be used to buffet food for sure and would enjoy what the cruise lines have to offer. I do not like food that you need to acquire a taste for. That tells me it is not worth eating at all. To me, certain foods are just disgusting to even look at or hear the name of it. One great thing about the cruise line buffets, if you want to try something you never had before you can take a little and see if you like it. We have stopped going to the MDR for many years now. We hate waiting so long for food you may not even like. Anyhow. That is us. The cruise lines offer a lot of options for eating. I think they do there best. They want you coming back, don't they?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ChC said:

If the menu is done right, a sit down service is better than buffet. The only problem is that the ships always seems to have short comings in menu designs. I feel the RCL chefs needs to go to an American style neighbourhood diner to see how it is ran. I am not saying the food is good in diner, but the choice and combination of food that can be incorporated in a good menu. People may argue that the food quality on the ships are better, but the truth is if you are to have a lazy breakfast, the windjammer café buffet is not very good at all. I would rather to go to an American style diner breakfast than the windjammer buffet.

Sit down service is better than the buffet. The buffet has no service. I can get my food immediately and get want I want not want not what the short menu offers and not knowing if you will even like what you get and if you will get it hot or not. An american style breakfast? What is that? What is a lazy breakfast? Most any ship will make any eggs or omelets the way you want them. many offer breakfast steak, home frys, all types of bread, waffles, pan cakes, bacon , sausage and more even crapes suzette. What more could a person want? So as they say. To each there own. 

One great thing about the cruise line buffets, if you want to try something you never had before you can take a little and see if you like it. We have stopped going to the MDR for many years now. We hate waiting so long for food you may not even like. Anyhow. That is us. The cruise lines offer a lot of options for eating. I think they do there best. They want you coming back, don't they?

Michael Bayley says the Windjammer will be used but there won’t be a classic buffet. Whatever they have I think you will be waiting for food. So will you be cruising without it?

58 minutes ago, ChC said:

If the menu is done right, a sit down service is better than buffet. The only problem is that the ships always seems to have short comings in menu designs. I feel the RCL chefs needs to go to an American style neighbourhood diner to see how it is ran. I am not saying the food is good in diner, but the choice and combination of food that can be incorporated in a good menu. People may argue that the food quality on the ships are better, but the truth is if you are to have a lazy breakfast, the windjammer café buffet is not very good at all. I would rather to go to an American style diner breakfast than the windjammer buffet.

The Windjammer and MDR are very different entities other than they both have food. I don't try to convince anyone  that one is better than the other. Don't try to convince anyone else that your preference, and thought process, is the right one.

12 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Michael Bayley says the Windjammer will be used but there won’t be a classic buffet. Whatever they have I think you will be waiting for food. So will you be cruising without it?

Bayley says a lot of nothing.  I have no clearer idea of what changes will be made on the ships now than I did before he said anything.

• Like 1

Bayley says a lot of nothing.  I have no clearer idea of what changes will be made on the ships now than I did before he said anything.

I agree that he said a lot of nothing but it is safe to assume the self serve buffet is not going to resume when cruising restarts unless cruising does not restart until after a vaccine in 2021 or 2022. They may simply have servers plate the food. But passengers taking their own portions with tongs or what not and piling it on won’t happen.

On 5/11/2020 at 4:27 PM, hazence said:

Stop watching CNN international. Read the transcripts of sworn testimony in the Russia Russia probe and then compare to what those very same people said on CNN when not under oath. 

Fox is just as slanted but I doubt you see that.

Truth hurts, as you say. Just take that little test and educate yourself.

It would help to be more self critical. If you believe it or not, we do get here as well Fox news and more serious print media such as the NY Tmes, but I guess this sort of Media is not one you ever read. If you watch / read all the available media both in the US and other countries and even better see with your own eyes what is happening my conclusion is back to what I wrote the other day. Just to be clear hanging out with Americans is great, you are friendly and easygoing people but please open your eyes a bit and think out of the box.

On 5/11/2020 at 1:04 AM, Cruise4Jesus said:

Your arrogance and stereotyping are very rude and condescending. Please bear in mind that there are also stereotypes of Europeans, and just like for Americans some are true and some are not. it appears that you are the type who probably gains their information from news media, which usually has a reason for their slant on it.

When you are bashing Americans please think of the many, many who gave their lives for YOU in WWI and WWII. Also, it the U.S. who pays way more than our fair share into NATO to protect Europe because most European governments do not.

You are absolutely right, but you are proud about some sort of "dream" that doesn't exist. Instead of living in a ilusion you should all try to find ways to make "America great again" strong slogan but will not happen with all the clowns in charge currently. I do not base myself on CNN or Foxnews as I said before, I hear both sides and I see things myself when in the US. If people want to belive when drinking diet soda it will make them loose weight or will be less unhealthy than regular soda this is agan a illusion which is wrong.

America did great things in the past especially in WWII which is highly respected but America did also things that did not turn out great such as Vietnam or completely failing in the Pacific at Pearl Harbour. But ok life goes on and let's have some hotdogs at Pearl Harbour and buy some souvenirs...I am very sorry this at a historical site of rememberance you will only find in the US and is completely disrespectful, talking about stereotype, especially all the ones that go there and thin it's visiting "Disneyland" without rides, was quite shocked to see this.

You don't know what the world will bring for other suprises over the next years and trust me you do not want to stand there alone, hence even that the US pays the most into the NATO (it's the largest participant nation) you are also benefiting accordingly.

On 5/11/2020 at 3:01 AM, B-52 said:

We have always avoided the Windjammer, mainly due to the crowds and behaviors I have witnessed.
I swear, people act as though they will run out of food...and the Kids, do they have to taste all the desserts?
We do go for breakfast primarily because we are some of the first few in there.

I wonder if they can cut down on the crowding if they expanded their hours.....like all day?

I'd would prefer at times a Brunch...a late breakfast, early lunch?

One of the problem is that you always will face the peak time rush and especially in the mornings when wanting to head out to port you and most of the ship want a breakfast at the same time. On Sea days it's a bit easier to control although you will also find peak times in the later morning and during lunch. The problem really seems to be that a lot want Buffet to make sure they can load their plates, hence if the concept will be changed it will also help to spread the crowds between all the different venues open at the same time throughout the ship.

Going forward no more buffets at Windjammer where people can grab their own food, crows conrols only to let people in if a table can be assigned to them with a completely new concept. We will also need to see the MDR to play a more significant role by runing at higher / full capacity during breakfast and lunch, including lunch on port days with also a new Menu concept especially for lunch. Soup, 1 Asian Dish, 1-2 international dishes and 1-2 Indian dishes which change every day and are also served at the Windjammer venue in whatever concept it will be. In addition a salad Menu made to order with various options to add made to order, and Burgers also made to order. 

2 hours ago, LXA350 said:

It would help to be more self critical. If you believe it or not, we do get here as well Fox news and more serious print media such as the NY Tmes, but I guess this sort of Media is not one you ever read. If you watch / read all the available media both in the US and other countries and even better see with your own eyes what is happening my conclusion is back to what I wrote the other day. Just to be clear hanging out with Americans is great, you are friendly and easygoing people but please open your eyes a bit and think out of the box.

You are absolutely right, but you are proud about some sort of "dream" that doesn't exist. Instead of living in a ilusion you should all try to find ways to make "America great again" strong slogan but will not happen with all the clowns in charge currently. I do not base myself on CNN or Foxnews as I said before, I hear both sides and I see things myself when in the US. If people want to belive when drinking diet soda it will make them loose weight or will be less unhealthy than regular soda this is agan a illusion which is wrong.

America did great things in the past especially in WWII which is highly respected but America did also things that did not turn out great such as Vietnam or completely failing in the Pacific at Pearl Harbour. But ok life goes on and let's have some hotdogs at Pearl Harbour and buy some souvenirs...I am very sorry this at a historical site of rememberance you will only find in the US and is completely disrespectful, talking about stereotype, especially all the ones that go there and thin it's visiting "Disneyland" without rides, was quite shocked to see this.

You don't know what the world will bring for other suprises over the next years and trust me you do not want to stand there alone, hence even that the US pays the most into the NATO (it's the largest participant nation) you are also benefiting accordingly.

From your many post it is obvious you have a unhealthy hate and disdain form America, please keep it yourself. I do not believe you are anymore qualified to judge Americans than I am to Europeans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/15/2020 at 12:08 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

many offer breakfast steak, home frys, all types of bread, waffles, pan cakes, bacon , sausage and more even crapes suzette. What more could a person want?

MORE bacon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have not eaten bacon since 1956 .Am I missing something ?

Just the most delicious food put on earth.  Bacon makes everything better.

Check out the menu from BarBacon in Union Square.  (9th Ave location is now closed. I guess people didn't want to spend $15 for a side of bacon). 

https://menupages.com/barbacon/836-9th-avenue-new-york 

Edited by HBE4

I know they have premade grab and go stuff, but how will they do El Loco Fresh on some of the ships since they have a salsa bar area.  I don't think they would put it in pre packaged cups, cause they try not to use disposable plastic on the ships.  Maybe paper cups.  They have a lot of changes to think about.

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Just the most delicious food put on earth.  Bacon makes everything better.

Check out the menu from BarBacon in Union Square.  (9th Ave location is now closed. I guess people didn't want to spend $15 for a side of bacon). 

https://menupages.com/barbacon/836-9th-avenue-new-york 

When did that first open .I worked on 8th.Ave and W. 13 St in the 90’s.

46 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

When did that first open .I worked on 8th.Ave and W. 13 St in the 90’s.

I was working in midtown around 2013-2014 when it first open in Hells Kitchen. 

Honestly,  I'm surprised its still around. Basically it's a gimmicky sports bar. 

But I do love bacon.

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

I was working in midtown around 2013-2014 when it first open in Hells Kitchen. 

Honestly,  I'm surprised its still around. Basically it's a gimmicky sports bar. 

But I do love bacon.

There is or was a Peanut Butter restaurant in the Village so it does not surprise me that there is a Bacon place.

20 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

There is or was a Peanut Butter restaurant in the Village so it does not surprise me that there is a Bacon place.

Peanut Butter is my 2nd favorite food group. I think that restaurant closed a few years ago. I never made my way there but the owner still makes 10 flavors of PB to be sold in supermarkets. 

Edited by HBE4

5 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Peanut Butter is my 2nd favorite food group. I think that restaurant closed a few years ago. I never made my way there but the owner still makes 10 flavors of PB to be sold in supermarkets. 

Have you ever tried Cashew Butter ? I eat that regularly along with Almond Butter,creamy and crunchy and Sunflower Seed Butter.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Have you ever tried Cashew Butter ? I eat that regularly along with Almond Butter,creamy and crunchy and Sunflower Seed Butter.

Yes! Cashew and Almond butter but not Sunflower seed butter.  Never heard of it actually.  

But all 3 sound healthier than one of my all time favorite guilty pleasures - peanut butter and apple butter on lightly toasted bread. Yum.  

Wonder if that is available in WJ or Wipeout Cafe??

9 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Peanut butter comes in a flavor other than peanut?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Yes! Cashew and Almond butter but not Sunflower seed butter.  Never heard of it actually.  

But all 3 sound healthier than one of my all time favorite guilty pleasures - peanut butter and apple butter on lightly toasted bread. Yum.  

Wonder if that is available in WJ or Wipeout Cafe??

I have never been able to get nut butter on a cruise.I buy the Sunflower Butter in Trader Joe’s.