Ruby Princess - Special Inquiry - Evidence To Date

3 hours ago, By The Bay said:

It will be interesting how the passenger evidence is received by the senior counsel. I hope they stick to facts and not assumptions.

I would love to see the Commissioner question that passenger who was a double transplant recipient.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, banzaii said:

But what did he touch in their house?

What part of 14 day quarantine didn't he understand..even 2 meters with sick people is too close.  The covid germ particles linger in the air and you can basically walk into them.  Pretty creepy.  I'm sure a lot of passengers on the Ruby got it that way..get into an empty elevator...but who just got off and were they sneezing/coughing???

Some of these points already have been made above, but see the four short and interesting quotes below,  from the article by Lucy Hughes Jones  Daily Telegraph today, highlighting these points from the evidence presented yesterday at the Inquiry: (The emphasis are mine)

“Commissioner Bred Walker SC slammed the (Health) department’s  ‘apparent tolerance’ of the vessel’s (i.e Ruby Princess) dismal covid testing rates as a serious deficiency in the public health administration”

“When Mr Walker questioned ‘why nothing was done concerning what I am calling on enormous deficiency’  in the number of (covid) swabs taken by the ship, Dr Tobin admitted he did  not notice the breach of guidelines he helped to create

“Dr Tobin agreed that there was no mention of the failing in an undated, anonymous NSW Health review of the scandal that he helped to prepare”

“Mr Walker slammed the report as ‘distracting PR’ and ‘spin’

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

All I can say is “Good luck to anyone who thinks they can slip anything passed Bret” 

Very well said, Gut - and interesting to observe on streaming Inquiry video how the Commissioner is losing his patience when he does not real answers to his questions!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

All I can say is “Good luck to anyone who thinks they can slip anything passed Bret” 

My husband was a criminal investigator for the federal government for close to 40 yrs. He said he would want Bret Walker on his side in any investigation..so quick and thorough.  Nothing seems to get past him!

12 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

My husband was a criminal investigator for the federal government for close to 40 yrs. He said he would want Bret Walker on his side in any investigation..so quick and thorough.  Nothing seems to get past him!

One of the best I have ever been in Court with or against, if he wants it a place on the bench will come his way except he is probably getting a bit old now, in fact I suspect he doesn’t want it,  or it would have already happened.

3 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

SO- in appointing Mr Walker as the Commissioner ( with his reputation for thoroughness widely known) - does the NSW Govt want to  REALLY find out what went wrong??   It  looks this way - surprisingly .  No any whitewash here!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cyrix400 said:

SO- in appointing Mr Walker as the Commissioner ( with his reputation for thoroughness widely known) - does the NSW Govt want to  REALLY find out what went wrong??   It  looks this way - surprisingly .  No any whitewash here!

Thank God the NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller has been silent since his outburst at the time of Ruby's arrival.

Aren't there several investigations going on? It would be interesting if they came to different conclusions.

16 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Thank God the NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller has been silent since his outburst at the time of Ruby's arrival.

Well he got his outrageous pay rise. Probably doesn't need to say much more.

1 hour ago, christodan said:

Aren't there several investigations going on? It would be interesting if they came to different conclusions.

I thought there was just the one - The Special Commission of Inquiry into the Ruby Princess? The one under discussion here ......

39 minutes ago, christodan said:

Isn't Fuller running some  'police investigation' ?

Supposedly, but he's gone very quiet. I suspect he'll wait until he hears the result of the enquiry then *shock horror* will discover he doesn't have a case against Princess, whom he already decided was guilty based on some of his early comments. And he probably doesn't have the guts to pursue a case against NSW Health.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, christodan said:

Isn't Fuller running some  'police investigation' ?

Wasn’t that the investigation where Commissioner Fuller decided that it was the food handler that caused the virus to spread throughout the ship? 
Anyway, his investigation, as far as I could find, is over as Ruby was allowed to leave. The NSW Govt seem happy to go with the Special Inquiry now 🤔

Bring it, (the Special Inquiry and Bret Walker SC) on 👍

Edited by Porky55

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Wasn’t that the investigation where Commissioner Fuller decided that it was the food handler that caused the virus to spread throughout the ship? 

Considering the damage Fuller did to Princess cruises' reputation, along with the cruise industry itself, he should be sued.

8 minutes ago, christodan said:

Considering the damage Fuller did to Princess cruises' reputation, along with the cruise industry itself, he should be sued.

Can I suggest that he achieved what the government wanted - he publicly diverted attention and blame away from government employees and onto the big bad cruise company. He earned his pay rise.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Can I suggest that he achieved what the government wanted - he publicly diverted attention and blame away from government employees and onto the big bad cruise company. He earned his pay rise.

But so far it seems that Walker SC is doing exactly the opposite, and he will be getting a pretty nice daily fee.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The Special Inquiry will cast doubt on his findings but of course he achieved his (and NSW GOVT) desired results, to defame cruise lines.  And got his huge pay rise!! 

Will Australia hear the results of the Special Inquiry in the same way that it heard about the “big bad cruise Company and it’s virus”?

I’m thinking it won’t, but as long as it helps to open our Ports again ........

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cyrix400 said:

Very well said, Gut - and interesting to observe on streaming Inquiry video how the Commissioner is losing his patience when he does not real answers to his questions!!

Pretty common to get touchy when you don’t get straight answers, judges and barristers alike.

19 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

Probably not my first pick at jury trial stage, but if I lose there I’d have him in a heart beat on appeal.

Edited by GUT2407

39 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

That's it in a nutshell.