WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO RESTART CRUISE SHIPS???

CGTNORMANDIE

Most of you have made plans for future cruises.  The question is...What will it take to make you feel confident enough to get on a ship and enjoy your vacation?  

I propose the following:

You will not be able to get on a plane or a ship without a 5 minute CV test.  The 5 minute test will prove essential for travel.  Each pax will need to test negative as well as temperature and oxygen tests.  I would not have any problem boarding a plane or a ship if all the other pax have tested negative.  

Your thoughts??  

6 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Most of you have made plans for future cruises.  The question is...What will it take to make you feel confident enough to get on a ship and enjoy your vacation?  

I propose the following:

You will not be able to get on a plane or a ship without a 5 minute CV test.  The 5 minute test will prove essential for travel.  Each pax will need to test negative as well as temperature and oxygen tests.  I would not have any problem boarding a plane or a ship if all the other pax have tested negative.  

Your thoughts??  

Ha Ha, this is going to go downhill quickly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I’m glad that this thread was started since this topic hasn’t been discussed. 😂

Emirates has already started doing rapid tests on all passengers:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cntraveler.com/story/emirates-is-giving-rapid-coronavirus-tests-to-passengers-before-boarding/amp

And yesterday, Airlines for America (which includes Delta, American, United and Southwest) endorses temperature checks for all passengers:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/us-airlines-endorse-temperature-screenings-conducted-by-tsa-301056259.html

Edited by Tapi
  • Haha 1

I just read this morning that Frank Del Rio of NCL says he foresees an at home CV test "as easy to use as a home pregnancy test" that people will be required to use and declare the results of, as part of the pre-check process.  I still don't see how that will help much as the tests, as I understand them, are only good for that moment...One could test negative one day and positive the next.   

What will it take?  An act of Congress, perhaps...

• Like 1

Besides all the actions taken for flights or embarkation (which are mostly ineffective) let’s not forget about another important factor.

Before international guidelines are implemented on how to treat suspected or proven cases on a cruise ship, I can’t imagine any cruise line taking the risk of the whole ship being quarantined or turned away, hoping to find a port allowing them to to dock.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I just read this morning that Frank Del Rio of NCL says he foresees an at home CV test "as easy to use as a home pregnancy test" that people will be required to use and declare the results of, as part of the pre-check process.  I still don't see how that will help much as the tests, as I understand them, are only good for that moment...One could test negative one day and positive the next.   

I'm all for sailing in a non-disease environment..but...that is impossible.  Someone could walk on board feeling perfectly healthy and check virus free and become ill next day.  There's no perfect world at sea or otherwise.  I know the ship is considered an incubator, but even if you don't sail, walk through the park and touch anything that is contaminated or breathe in another's cough when either of you isn't wearing a mask, you may contract the virus.  My thoughts are to wait this out (moved sailing 1 1/2 years away), practice the medical science advice (not just any advice) and continue to live life as I have in the past following the new recommendations which are sure to come.  There was no surety I wouldn't get any of the modern day diseases then either.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

I'm all for sailing in a non-disease environment..but...that is impossible.  Someone could walk on board feeling perfectly healthy and check virus free and become ill next day.  There's no perfect world at sea or otherwise.  I know the ship is considered an incubator, but even if you don't sail, walk through the park and touch anything that is contaminated or breathe in another's cough when either of you isn't wearing a mask, you may contract the virus.  My thoughts are to wait this out (moved sailing 1 1/2 years away), practice the medical science advice (not just any advice) and continue to live life as I have in the past following the new recommendations which are sure to come.  There was no surety I wouldn't get any of the modern day diseases then either.

The earliest I'm looking at is September 4 2021 out of Amsterdam but won't book.   I really hope we have a vaccine or treatment by then.

• Like 1

The five minute test currently available can only process one test at a time per machine.  They would need hundreds of machines in the terminal.  Temperature checks do little to weed out asymptomatic carriers.  I would be comfortable with an

at-home test, were one available.   Take the test within a few days of sail...be careful...enjoy vacation.  Sounds like a plan.

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I propose the following:

So do you repeat the test at every single port?  Because someone could be negative at embarkation and pick it up mid-cruise.  And if someone tests positive at a port stop, what then?  Left on the pier?  

Personally, I don't think testing is a significant component of the return to cruising, unless it's antibody testing (assuming that antibodies convey long-term immunity, which is presently unknown).  

• Like 2

While the idea of testing people before boarding sounds great from a PR perspective, I don't think in practical terms it will solve the larger issue facing the cruise lines at that moment. Testing at home seems of little value if the coronavirus is still widely circulating given all the people passengers will come in contact prior to boarding. Whether that is at home, work, traveling to the port or staying in a hotel prior to boarding. Sure, some can test at home and then drive to the port, but not many. Additionally, even if you run the rapid test to screen everyone prior to embarkation unless everyone is not getting off the ship, thus turning it into a completely closed environment, the risk of exposure is still there anytime anyone gets on/off in port. You also still have the incubation period of 2 - 14 days to contend with. So you could easily test negative on the day of embarkation and then develop symptoms and test positive mid cruise.

Once on board you need guests to agree to quarantining should they test positive. Given that some people wont even admit to having symptoms on the current health questionnaire/once on board, as it will spoil their vacation, I think this will be a struggle. All it will take is for someone to falsify their results/hide their illness and you have another PR nightmare on your hands. Add in the wild card of those who are infected but completely asymptomatic and its hard to come up with a truly effective strategy. They wouldn't even know they should alert anyone with zero symptoms. We also still don't have an answer as to how long they asymptomatic individuals shed the virus. So does that mean if detected you are quarantined the rest of the cruise automatically? What about crew?

I love cruising, but short of a vaccine or evidence that those who have antibodies are indeed immune I'm not sure there is a good way to resume. It then just becomes a question of the cruise line/passengers acceptable risk level. Personally, working in healthcare, I wont be cruising until there is a effective treatment as the risk just isn't worth to me, but that is only my opinion. Sure, I'm young and healthy so I should in theory be ok. However, I know a physician who is the same and he had to be hospitalized. That isn't a position I want to be in out at sea.

One final note, as far as temperature checks they are showing they really aren't effective at identifying those with coronavirus. Not to mention that you can take over the counter meds to lower a fever which circles back around to the question around people hiding their symptoms intentionally or unintentionally just trying to feel better.

The complexity around all of this is mind boggling! Man could I use a sea day...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I propose the following:

Your thoughts??  

Excellent post-- However, the timing is wrong !!!!

Today isn't April 1 --

Absolute nonsense.

26 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Excellent post-- However, the timing is wrong !!!!

Today isn't April 1 --

Absolute nonsense.

Why do you say nonsense? All content re testing aside and just the wording in the post, would you get on a plane if you knew someone tested positive? Not sure your response is what you meant to say....and perhaps a little harsh?  I think we all probably have our own criteria to resume travelling....IMO Poster meant well and is only sharing his opinion as we all are.

Edited by oceangoer2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Prim8,

Abbott Labs are currently producing 50,000  5 minute tests per day.  If passengers (pax) arrive at terminal and enter wearing masks and then are tested in the terminal as part of the security process then pax would be able to go onboard a ship that is totally negative.  The test also identifies those who are incubating.  You either have it or you don’t.  A ship that has tested negative can sail without much worry.  The problem then would be where to land?  Most likely the only island would be the private island.  Unless arrangements could be made for an isolation area on an island I’m afraid there are no fast answers.  If by some chance a pax show signs of any virus they would be isolated and removed from the ship immediately...by prior arrangement.  The cruise lines will design new methods of handling crew and passengers just as the airlines will have to do.

I would get on a cruise ship tomorrow.  Studies are now showing that cruise ships are not the incubators they've been made out to be for this virus.  I've had nora on a cruise ship, it's a risk we take.  Of course, I'm not in a high risk category so the virus doesn't really scare me (don't get me wrong, I would prefer to not be sick, but, not fearful of my life).  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

The less Congress does, the better..IMHO..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MrCoachRentz said:

I would get on a cruise ship tomorrow.  Studies are now showing that cruise ships are not the incubators they've been made out to be for this virus.  I've had nora on a cruise ship, it's a risk we take.  Of course, I'm not in a high risk category so the virus doesn't really scare me (don't get me wrong, I would prefer to not be sick, but, not fearful of my life).  

I feel the same way...but not wearing a mask on a cruise, that is a no go for me..

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

Why do you say nonsense? All content re testing aside and just the wording in the post, would you get on a plane if you knew someone tested positive? Not sure your response is what you meant to say....and perhaps a little harsh?  I think we all probably have our own criteria to resume travelling....IMO Poster meant well and is only sharing his opinion as we all are.

You will not be able to get on a plane or a ship without a 5 minute CV test "

The wait time would be impossible to implement .

Who's going to wait for 300 passengers getting onto an aircraft to be tested ? 

Even worse-- 2500 passengers getting on to a cruise ship .

Then test everyone every day getting back onto the ship at each port ? 

Edited by Pinboy

11 minutes ago, MrCoachRentz said:

Reference?  What studies?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Key is time and exposure.  More time outside, even if fairly close to others, limits exposure.  Masks do very little in most cases outside.

Cruises could limit passengers so there aren't as many, speed up dinner service so that you don't spend as much time in a place with poor airflow, etc.

Most of us haven't been 100% isolated from others so we carry a risk of infection no matter, might as well start living...

• Like 4

I've found this article to be a common sense approach to navigating around this virus.  

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?fbclid=IwAR3YjlKDdeJmzPdlcED9_gC74ALN_eH3QLiK3RqqmSgW9M_K89LB__jlW6w

It's based in fact.  Most dangerous areas have been low air volume areas with high density population.  Low risk areas are outside with some distancing.  Basically about the only way to get infected hanging out outside is if someone sneezes in your face.

I very much think cruise ships could sail using some of the things in the article above, especially if they cut down on the passengers so that they weren't as crowded.