WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO RESTART CRUISE SHIPS???

CGTNORMANDIE

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

Jeez, you are so right as it relates to cruising.  Sadly, my head is not in the cruising clouds right now.  Just trying to find some normalcy in my every day life.  I completely agree, these measures cannot be replicated on a ship.  We will stay home until that changes.  Perhaps we will cheers to each other on a cruise someday!

Hopefully when things sort out, from an unneeded social distance! 😉

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Just got a pedicure today.  Feeling guilty?  Not at all.  The salon took plenty of measures from social distancing to Plexiglas between worker and patron.  All were required to wash hands upon entering and wear a mask .  Technicians wore protective face shields in addition to masks.  I felt safe.  Life must go on.

Good for you!  I am hoping that additional measures and procedures taken by states opening up first will be shared with others.  I have to hope that this will lead to a more healthy environment for customer and nail technician.  

• Like 1

The fact is there is currently a subset of the population who thinks they cannot be told what to do & that all of this is unnecessary so they're going to do whatever they want.  You've already seen a few reflexively say on several threads "I will not wear a mask" as if asking someone to be considerate of others is such a huge inconvenience. 

All of that aside, none of this poking, prodding, swabbing, distancing, etc. sounds anything remotely like any sort of vacation I would ever want to take.  To do what?  Not got to a bar or not sit by the pool?  I can replicate all of that at home but with better TV choices.  Hotels and beaches will open before cruises do, and it would be a zillion times easier for them to implement the same if not better safety protocols.  I'll go back on a ship when the threat of this particular virus has subsided.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

The fact is there is currently a subset of the population who thinks they cannot be told what to do & that all of this is unnecessary so they're going to do whatever they want.  You've already seen a few reflexively say on several threads "I will not wear a mask" as if asking someone to be considerate of others is such a huge inconvenience. 

All of that aside, none of this poking, prodding, swabbing, distancing, etc. sounds anything remotely like any sort of vacation I would ever want to take.  To do what?  Not got to a bar or not sit by the pool?  I can replicate all of that at home but with better TV choices.  Hotels and beaches will open before cruises do, and it would be a zillion times easier for them to implement the same if not better safety protocols.  I'll go back on a ship when the threat of this particular virus has subsided.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

• Like 3

Wasn't the OPs question answered already?

Until Celebrity is not looking at the possibility of spending millions to get passengers and crews home - literally to their house - no possibility.

Well maybe as Celebrity so far has not shown the ability to gear up to handle this situation.

Understand confusion at first, but that was 8 WEEKS ago.  Sure hope management. puts together a plan to handle the thousands of customers they have ticked off.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

I'm all for sailing in a non-disease environment..but...that is impossible.  Someone could walk on board feeling perfectly healthy and check virus free and become ill next day.  There's no perfect world at sea or otherwise.  I know the ship is considered an incubator, but even if you don't sail, walk through the park and touch anything that is contaminated or breathe in another's cough when either of you isn't wearing a mask, you may contract the virus.  My thoughts are to wait this out (moved sailing 1 1/2 years away), practice the medical science advice (not just any advice) and continue to live life as I have in the past following the new recommendations which are sure to come.  There was no surety I wouldn't get any of the modern day diseases then either.

I got off my 10 day Southern route cruise last Dec 8, and was admitted Dec 15 with socially acquired pneumonia. I was on IV antibiotics for 10 days and discharged with no further issues. I had zero symptoms while on the cruise.  My point is, you can catch about anything while on a full cruise ship. Washy, washie...

• Like 1

I personally won’t wear a mask while on a cruise ship, by that I mean I won’t cruise if that’s the rule, I believe that’s what others were meaning when stating they would not wear a mask when cruising. Will everyone obey the rules ? of course they won’t we all know that but you can’t put everything on hold forever because not everyone will obey rules. Let’s all be honest here because we all know it’s true, if there is no virus for years or indeed not all all Cruising won’t just go away. Yes it’s going to have to adapt and change and yes everyone on board should follow those rules but  It’s going to return and at that point everyone has a choice whether to cruise or not, calling people deniers, selfish, stupid, a subset, cheerleaders might make some people feel superior but it means nothing. When cruising returns people will return and we all need to deal with it because name calling won’t stop people cruising.

Edited by yorky
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Johnamac123 said:

I got off my 10 day Southern route cruise last Dec 8, and was admitted Dec 15 with socially acquired pneumonia. I was on IV antibiotics for 10 days and discharged with no further issues. I had zero symptoms while on the cruise.  My point is, you can catch about anything while on a full cruise ship. Washy, washie...

Sounds like an early virus....were you checked for antibodies?  would be a good thing to know.  Apparently the CV was up and running early in December.

19 hours ago, deliver42 said:

You can still get a false negative, but I'd be willing to take a chance. I'm and essential worker, and so far have been lucky, but that still makes me confident of traveling.

The FDA in the USA is now cracking down on the antibody tests.  They have given manufacturers 10 days to validate them to their standards or get them pulled from the market.  Some data has been released on some of them.  Some look pretty good.  Others not so good.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtech/fda-publishes-first-validation-results-12-covid-19-antibody-tests

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes once they put out the $20 watches and $10 Tee Shirts everybody will crowd around them.

That's what the balance of our OBC is used for-- 

12 years ago , or maybe 16 yrs ago , " someone " I travel with bought a beautiful , gold looking, watch onboard ,and it shows the same time ( 5:43 ) ALL day .

6 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

That's what the balance of our OBC is used for-- 

12 years ago , or maybe 16 yrs ago , " someone " I travel with bought a beautiful , gold looking, watch onboard ,and it shows the same time ( 5:43 ) ALL day .

So it is correct time twice a day.  Not bad!😀

• Haha 1

Just now, TeeRick said:

So it is correct time twice a day.  Not bad!😀

Really ???  I only see it once , around the time I'm thinking " Should I have 2 shrimp cocktails or my " regular " 4  before my , etc, etc "-- 

Who knows when these days will return ????

3 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Really ???  I only see it once , around the time I'm thinking " Should I have 2 shrimp cocktails or my " regular " 4  before my , etc, etc "-- 

Who knows when these days will return ????

Get up real early one day and I'll prove to you that I am right about this!  Have a bloody mary or mimosa for breakfast.😀

• Like 1

1) Rapid testing at the port along with a way to social distance until verification.

2) Determine safe ports where people can't get Covid.

3) Upgrade filtration between the cabins so virus cant easily move from cabin to cabin.

4) If someone gets Covid on the ship and the ship needs to return to port determine the policy for getting people off the ship in a safe manner.  Maybe temp quarantine facilities that can handle 10,000 plus people in case the possibility of multiple ships.  Will people who live in the US be banned from coming back in the country.  This is happening to US crew members as we speak.

5) If an Covid outbreak happens get a local cleaning company to come in an deep clean the ship that has some type of certification. 

5) Find a way to get crew members who get covid off the ship and into quarantine.

6) There is some news regarding some people in Louisiana getting covid again and going back into the hospital after leaving the hospital without covid so this anti body theory might be hocus pocus we will see.  So until a vaccine is developed the people sailing need to understand the risks. If the antibody theory is good then a antibody passport is a good idea. 

7) Determine who is responsible for paying the bills when someone gets covid on the ship.

11 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

6) There is some news regarding some people in Louisiana getting covid again and going back into the hospital after leaving the hospital without covid so this anti body theory might be hocus pocus we will see.  So until a vaccine is developed the people sailing need to understand the risks. If the antibody theory is good then a antibody passport is a good idea. 

One needs to keep in mind, a vaccine does nothing else than induce the same protective antibodies that going through the infection in the first place induces? 
If the antibodies after infection aren’t good enough to prevent or at least ameliorate a second infection, then it’s highly likely a vaccine won’t confer immunity.