Solo cruisers post Covid?

MelbTone

4 hours ago, HowardK said:

I also read that people might not have a choice as to what vaccine they receive. 

That's the impression I have received as well.  Our Governor said during a Press Briefing that vaccine from one Company may be available sometime in December.  He didn't indicate what that Company might be.  The word he used was "Company" in the singular, not plural, sense.

On 7/31/2020 at 3:51 PM, rkacruiser said:

Part of my enjoyment of my cruise is the social aspect of it.  Not being able to enjoy HH at a ship's bar without being seated near others and conversing with them and the bartenders and staff?  Not sharing a MDR table with others?  Being served by Stewards and staff wearing masks?  Does not sound like a "fun time" in which I wish to invest.  

Well said and I agree-in general the pricing of cruises has gone up that it should be enjoyable. I don't want to go on a ship to be kept away from people. One of the fun things is being out on a Tuesday or Wednesday night at sea vs normally sleeping etc. getting up for work early. While my Encore in May NCL base price was maybe $1300 by the time I added extras, staying in NYC one night,  etc. it was more than double the cost. I've accepted the fact it might be 2023 for me

1 hour ago, HowardK said:

While my Encore in May NCL base price was maybe $1300 by the time I added extras, staying in NYC one night,  etc. 

😀   It's the extras that drive up the cost of any vacation:  cruise or not.  My philosophy has been:  if I can afford whatever these "extras"--some of which are known when I make the decision to go and those that won't be known until they occur--maybe, then GO!  If I cannot, that's a "no-go" signal for me.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

😀   It's the extras that drive up the cost of any vacation:  cruise or not.  My philosophy has been:  if I can afford whatever these "extras"--some of which are known when I make the decision to go and those that won't be known until they occur--maybe, then GO!  If I cannot, that's a "no-go" signal for me.  

I agree, I think we all need to adjust our thinking re: extras.. and maybe even just cruising as a solo. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Our Governor said during a Press Briefing that vaccine from one Company may be available sometime in December. 

From what I have see in the news reports, the vaccine (either Pfizer or Moderna) should start to be administered to 1st line health care workers/1st responders & elderly in LTC facilities (especially elderly with underlying heath conditions) by the end of Dec 2020 (next month). Then, the vaccine(s) will be administered according to a priority schedule for the rest of us, i.e. priority to elderly w/underlying health conditions, the elderly and so forth down the line.

I originally was thinking that generally healthy adults (like me) may be able to get the vaccine by spring 2021, but now I've adjusted my thinking a bit and believe that it will be the 2nd half of 2021 (July - Dec). This is due to the shear millions of U.S. citizens that would be vaccinated and the distribution capabilities of the vaccine companies. I'm hoping I'm wrong and that the U.S. Govt (Operation Warp Speed) will provide additional $$ to these companies to bolster their distribution and that we may indeed be able to be vaccinated by spring 2021. Fingers crossed 🤞.

Edited by farmersfight

11 hours ago, HowardK said:

One of the fun things is being out on a Tuesday or Wednesday night at sea vs normally sleeping etc. getting up for work early.

Or Monday night, Thursday night and/or even a Sunday night. Nice now being retired and not having to do that "sleeping to get up for work early" thing.

11 hours ago, HowardK said:

While my Encore in May NCL base price was maybe $1300 by the time I added extras, staying in NYC one night,  etc. it was more than double the cost. I've accepted the fact it might be 2023 for me

Yeah, I can see how staying in a hotel in NYC could double the cost. Now being retired, when cruising resumes, my game plan is to do longer cruises (12 day minimum) and also stay at a hotel before and after the cruise at the embarkation port; 4 nights prior & 3 nights post cruise. That would be an extra week on top of potentially 2 weeks on the cruise itself, for a total of 3 weeks. Again, nice to be retired where I'll actually be able to do that.

Most likely, I 'll have to fly long distances from up here in western Michigan to get to the embarkation port (i.e. Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, LA/LB or even Honolulu). So, to pay that airfare and fly all that way, just a 7 day cruise would not be worth it, imo.

I'll see how this plays out once cruising resumes and see if I can execute my "game plan". As far as 2023, imo, I think you'll be able to cruise well before then (late 2021, 2022), if you want to.

Edited by farmersfight

I've always tried to parlay the night before into a show or concert and movie. I like going there throughout the year. The one time I cruised from Miami i went 2 days in advance it was great. I liked that because I felt more away than normal.

I would think they need time for both people to get the vaccine and for the spread to diminish.

Not even sure if my indoor arena concerts will start next November/December or wait until 2022. 

I'm glad NCL put up the 2022/2023 listings though this far in advance that was a good move.

9 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Most likely, I 'll have to fly long distances from up here in western Michigan to get to the embarkation port (i.e. Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, LA/LB or even Honolulu). So, to pay that airfare and fly all that way, just a 7 day cruise would not be worth it, imo.

Flying that distance for a short cruise makes little sense to me unless one has no choice to do so, i.e. one's vacation time.  Being retired surely does make all the difference in the world!  I usually now drive to Florida or any other East Coast port.  I-75 goes through my community so it's easy to "hit the road".  (I-70 is just North of my community as well.)  I try to combine one/two/three cruises with a visit with friends who live/snowbird in the Sunshine State.  I enjoy having my own car to drive while I am in Florida.  

• Like 1