Smaller Resorts in FP Coping with Covid?

Just wondering if anyone has information about how the smaller resorts on the islands are making out during this complete cessation of tourism.

I'm guessing very badly.  I really feel for them.  I'm most familiar with Moorea--the little local restaurants are perhaps still doing take-out for the locals, but the hotels, like Les Tipaniers where we have spent two glorious pre-cruises, must be struggling terribly.  The big resorts too, I'm sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Larro9 said:

Everyone is struggling everywhere who lives and breathes tourism...

Yes, of course, but I was just wondering about this particular corner of the world since it's dear to my heart.  I've also been thinking about places like Thailand and Bali where tourism is such a huge part of their livelihoods.  I feel terrible for all of these folks.

Since no tourists are allowed to enter French Polynesia, and there is no interisland transit allowed within French Polynesia, who would be staying at the small resorts? The only possible guests would be those who already live on their island. The restaurants could be doing OK, since we have seen many locals at the restaurants on Moorea in the past, but I wouldn't expect many stays at hotels.

Thailand and Indonesia (Bali) are still open to tourists coming from other countries, so they may still have some foreign tourism. Unfortunately some of it will be from China, which isn't something I would look forward to, having experienced it  last December. But the big difference is that Thailand and Indonesia both have large populations that can travel within their own country when they feel comfortable to do so, and their country allows it. I think smaller hotels  in Thailand and Indonesia will have a much easier time of it than in French Polynesia when it comes to tourism since they don't need to have tourists from other countries. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

Since no tourists are allowed to enter French Polynesia, and there is no interisland transit allowed within French Polynesia, who would be staying at the small resorts? The only possible guests would be those who already live on their island. The restaurants could be doing OK, since we have seen many locals at the restaurants on Moorea in the past, but I wouldn't expect many stays at hotels

Yes I realize all of that.  I was just wondering if anyone had any reports on how things are on the islands right now.  I can totally imagine, but with people here having personal contacts, I was wondering if there was any real information.   Michael Poole comes to mind, for instance.

22 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yes I realize all of that.  I was just wondering if anyone had any reports on how things are on the islands right now.  I can totally imagine, but with people here having personal contacts, I was wondering if there was any real information.   Michael Poole comes to mind, for instance.

Looks like they just eased up on the restrictions a bit but no mention of the travel ban for non-residents. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rnz.co.nz/article/1d7705e3-3511-455f-a1f4-91f0a3bd4cf8

• All restrictions imposed over the Covid-19 outbreak in March will be lifted in French Polynesia's outer islands as of midnight tonight.
  • This was announced by the French High Commissioner to French Polynesia Dominique Sorain and the president Edouard Fritch after reporting that 28 days passed without any local Covid-19 case.
  • Travel between the islands will be allowed from tomorrow morning while domestic air travel will be possible from 21 May.
  • In Tahiti and Moorea, which account for the bulk of the population, a ban on meetings of more than 100 people remain, with a review due at the end of the month.
  • Bars and discos will be allowed to open but patrons must observe social distancing.
  • All sport events have been given the all-clear.
  • Schools are gearing up for reopening on 18 May.
  • A territory-wide curfew was already lifted last week after a court ruled it was illegal.
  • A total of 60 Covid-19 cases were registered since March.

• Like 1