How will passenger numbers on future P&O Cruises be reduced?

4 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

We thought the same, sounds bonkers to me, seems government not learnt their lesson from a Cummings episode and left a big hole in the advice.

Current NHS advice is

If you're self-isolating, you and anyone you live with must not leave your home.

That's if you're self-isolating because you've got symptoms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happy v said:

You may not have it. You have only been in contact. If you display symptoms then the other members of your house have to isolate.

Yes, but on the other hand, you might have. They've rushed into this without thinking it through. I don't think they're being careful enough. 

Avril 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Yes, and if you developed symptoms the rest of the household would then have to start their 14 day isolation

Not everyone develops symptoms that's the biggest  problem with this awful virus. 

Avril 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just checked the WHO website, they definitely only recommended 1 metre. 

Andy 

Dentists opening on June 8th.

Newcastle airport opening next week for flights to Amsterdam and June 15th to Aberdeen, Southampton and Paris.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Not everyone develops symptoms that's the biggest  problem with this awful virus. 

Avril 

Yeah, I totally get where you're coming from. I suppose they're trying to get to the position of not restricting people unnecessarily otherwise you end up with a lot of people isolating, possibly more than once. 

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

That's not what the experts said at todays briefing, from memory the risk at 1m is 24 times more than at 2m.

The 2 metre rule was arbitrarily chosen by the UK.  As with most of the actions taken, there is no rhyme or reason to the decision.

The correct distance will vary depending on circumstances  - sitting 1 metre apart in a garden is fine.  However, the government decided to treat us all as if we are 4 year olds,  and have consistently plugged this imbecilic 2 metre rule.  Why, when queueing to get into Aldi, in the open air, facing the back of the person in front of me, do I have to  be 2 metres back? Absolute nonsense! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The 2 metre rule was arbitrarily chosen by the UK.  As with most of the actions taken, there is no rhyme or reason to the decision.

The correct distance will vary depending on circumstances  - sitting 1 metre apart in a garden is fine.  However, the government decided to treat us all as if we are 4 year olds,  and have consistently plugged this imbecilic 2 metre rule.  Why, when queueing to get into Aldi, in the open air, facing the back of the person in front of me, do I have to  be 2 metres back? Absolute nonsense! 

This is Patrick Vallances advice on the need for a 2 metre rule, maybe you should tell him your expert findings wowzz.😉

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/coronavirus-risk-up-to-30-times-higher-if-twometre-distancing-rule-dropped-vallance-warns

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Yeah, I totally get where you're coming from. I suppose they're trying to get to the position of not restricting people unnecessarily otherwise you end up with a lot of people isolating, possibly more than once. 

That could happen anyway. According to Matt Hancock yesterday, if  infection rates rise again whole towns could be put into lockdown. I was fairly confident in the beginning that they would get a grip on this virus but now I feel as though it's a case of trial and error with us as guinea pigs. They seem to be making it up as they go along. I give up.

Avril 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

This is Patrick Vallances advice on the need for a 2 metre rule, maybe you should tell him your expert findings wowzz.😉

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/coronavirus-risk-up-to-30-times-higher-if-twometre-distancing-rule-dropped-vallance-warns

Perhaps Vallance could explain why Germany, which has handled the whole situation much better than the UK, only applies a 1.5 metre rule. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That could happen anyway. According to Matt Hancock yesterday, if  infection rates rise again whole towns could be put into lockdown. I was fairly confident in the beginning that they would get a grip on this virus but now I feel as though it's a case of trial and error with us as guinea pigs. They seem to be making it up as they go along. I give up.

Avril 

So, when we get away for a week in Cornwall in July and Cornwall gets shut down do we;

1.     Get a free 14 day extra holiday

2.  Have to drive home ( it's about 260 miles.

27 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Interview with WHO Special Envoy on Covid 19 who says 2 metres Distancing keeps you safe 99% of the time

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0525/1140396-social-distancing-reduction/

Edited by Snow Hill

6 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Interview with WHO Special Envoy on Covid 19 who says 2 metres Distancing keeps you safe 99% of the time

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0525/1140396-social-

distancing-reduction/

That's so contradictory to a simple man like me. 

He says they recommend 2m, the WHO website clearly says 1m??

The hospitality industry is pushing for 1m on their recommendation... 

Andy 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Forgive me if I treat anything the WHO says as being extremely problematic.

Why?  Since most 'information' on Coronavirus and Covid-19 is based essentially on educated guesswork at present, we don't have many places to look for guidance.  Are you concerned at the Chinese funding?

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Possibly because if you are 1 metre apart you will be breathing over the back of their head?. It is difficult enough to keep people 2 metres apart, have we noticed distance creep in queues?  Imagine trying to re-impose the 2 metre rule if the 1 metre one causes an unwanted rise in infections. Confusing the message again.

Edited by davecttr

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Forgive me if I treat anything the WHO says as being extremely problematic.

Same attitude as mine toward the PM!

70% of the droplets travel less than 1 metre so 30% travel further. 1% travel more than 2 metres. stand 2 metres away and the number of droplets reaching you is potentially 30 times less than at 1 metre.

As the danger of the virus is an age related thing maybe we will see the country split on age. As the young are 'safe' they will resent being restricted to help save the old fogeys lives, until the 'old fogey' is someone they love.

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Perhaps Vallance could explain why Germany, which has handled the whole situation much better than the UK, only applies a 1.5 metre rule. 

You could take that up with him direct, while you tell him you're better qualified to do his job.:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You could take that up with him direct, while you tell him you're better qualified to do his job.:classic_rolleyes:

I don’t think there’s much room for doubt. The UK death figures, however you work the statistics, are amongst the very worst in the world.

Worst in Europe, and second in the world only to Trump’s USA according to today’s FT:

https://www.ft.com/content/6b4c784e-c259-4ca4-9a82-648ffde71bf0

Not a record we can be proud of, despite the valiant efforts of NHS staff and other essential workers.

10 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

You have a valid point and it certainly seems like trial and error depending who you are 

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I don’t think there’s much room for doubt. The UK death figures, however you work the statistics, are amongst the very worst in the world.

Worst in Europe, and second in the world only to Trump’s USA according to today’s FT:

Not a record we can be proud of, despite the valiant efforts of NHS staff and other essential workers.

And not by the eyesight testing of Cummings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Why?  Since most 'information' on Coronavirus and Covid-19 is based essentially on educated guesswork at present, we don't have many places to look for guidance.  Are you concerned at the Chinese funding?

Let's face it Harry, the WHO has handled this whole situation shamefully from day one, and has been cynically manipulated by the Chinese. Hate to say it, but it is the only thing on which I agree with Trump .

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Which is why I take all these "guidelines' with an enormous pinch of salt. The country has been devastated economically, yet the death toll is horrendous. 

The government policy of following the science is flawed, if the science is incorrect.

20 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Which is why I take all these "guidelines' with an enormous pinch of salt. The country has been devastated economically, yet the death toll is horrendous. 

The government policy of following the science is flawed, if the science is incorrect.

I don't think the problem was following the advice of the scientists - it was following it two weeks too late for it to be effective.  There's very clear evidence now that had we acted two weeks, or even one week sooner (before those major sporting events spread the virus even wider for example) tens of thousands of lives would not have been lost.  We also failed to prevent thousands of care home deaths by sheer negligence.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not the worst in Europe if you go by deaths per head of population.