How will passenger numbers on future P&O Cruises be reduced?

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

We also failed to prevent thousands of care home deaths by sheer negligence

Indeed. Whose bright idea was it to release hundreds of the elderly from hospital into care homes, without checking  them first for CV19 ?

• Like 1

We use H10 hotels in Spain & Canaries for land holidays from time to time. I've received an email from them which includes some of the measures they will be taking to protect guests from Covid 19.

As well as enhanced hygiene practices and staff training, and social distancing in all areas, here are some of the items they propose that cruise lines may have to consider:-

Rooms

enhanced disinfection of contact surfaces

provision of face masks and hand sanitizer

rooms left vacant for a minimum of 24 hours after each stay

Restaurants

limited number of places

tables 2 metres apart

disinfection of tables, chairs and household items after each use.

prioritization of table service

Pools

limited number of users

sunbeds 2 metres apart

furniture disinfection after each use

enhanced pool area and water disinfection

Will that happen on cruise ships?

• Thanks 1

After watching yesterday's briefing I was feeling a little more positive, that is until I saw the north of England covid news. According to those stats we, Barnsley,  are now the hot spot for infection rates with Rotherham a close second. So obviously Yorkshire has not yet reached it's peak. Barnsley has begun to open up again per government advice and so the virus will keep spreading.  For this reason I think it's iresponsible of them to give the blanket advice they are. Many in our area who are fed up with being so restricted will see yesterday's briefing as permission to travel and meet up with small groups of  friends and family albeit from 2 metres. Not everyone reads local covid data but the government scientists do. Yorkshire is a beautiful county which many people visit, so with the sudden relaxation of rules and the wonderful weather at the moment visitors will come. Now the advice that is being given is driven by economics and as usual the north of England is unimportant. Just my feelings at the moment. 

Avril 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I don't think the problem was following the advice of the scientists - it was following it two weeks too late for it to be effective.  There's very clear evidence now that had we acted two weeks, or even one week sooner (before those major sporting events spread the virus even wider for example) tens of thousands of lives would not have been lost.  We also failed to prevent thousands of care home deaths by sheer negligence.

+1.

Care homes are the most vulnerable and they were badly let down.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Indeed. Whose bright idea was it to release hundreds of the elderly from hospital into care homes, without checking  them first for CV19 ?

I know people who work in care homes and friends parents who were sent back to care homes and died through coronavirus.

It is the politicians who are at fault at the high death rate in the UK they allowed Cheltenham Festival to go ahead with 250000+ people a football match at Liverpool 50000+ people and allowed Italians to fly into this country at free will when they werent allowed to go see their own teams in Italy because the matches had been cancelled. We were also late in going into lockdown and that is down to one person only and that is the Prime Minister.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It is the politicians who are at fault at the high death rate in the UK they allowed Cheltenham Festival to go ahead with 250000+ people a football match at Liverpool 50000+ people and allowed Italians to fly into this country at free will when they werent allowed to go see their own teams in Italy because the matches had been cancelled. We were also late in going into lockdown and that is down to one person only and that is the Prime Minister.

I agree with your overview, but the football match was between Liverpool and Atletico Madrid, not an Italian team.  However the numbers were taking off in Madrid then and lock down imposed there very soon after.

Edited by tring

48 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Very true, and fully supported by the statistics.  Maybe the real reason he's defending the indefensible in the shape of a certain political advisor is that he knows he's the only one capable of spinning the truth sufficiently well to get him out of the hole.

The fact is though that the PM's failure to act in time has killed tens of thousands of people, including the thousands of care home deaths.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, davecttr said:

What about tender ports? You can't social distance on a tender and if they tried to it could  take all day to get not everyone off the ship.

When cruising starts again I would imagine that's going to be one of the many things that will have to change. I suppose they will just have to miss those ports out it the revised itineraries. 

Avril 

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

You could take that up with him direct, while you tell him you're better qualified to do his 

I see that Prof Robert Dingwall, a government advisor, has today said that reducing the distance from 2 metres to 1 metre, will have " no significant impact" on the risk of spreading coronavirus. So, someone far more qualified than me is of the same opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

This has been denied several times by Boris and his experts, and the numbers discharged from hospital back into care homes fell dramatically at the start of the covid crisis. It has also been denied that no one with covid was ever discharged before being tested.

But some will never believe anything positive about Boris.

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

This has been denied several times by Boris and his experts, and the numbers discharged from hospital back into care homes fell dramatically at the start of the covid crisis. It has also been denied that no one with covid was ever discharged before being tested.

"The government advice to hospitals prior to April 15 was "negative tests are not required prior to transfers/admissions into the care home." "

Quote taken from ITN news page.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

"The government advice to hospitals prior to April 15 was "negative tests are not required prior to transfers/admissions into the care home." "

Quote taken from ITN news page.

BUT that only applied if the patient had no signs of Covid19.  I accept that this is not a guarantee and possibly some patients might have been incubating the disease,  but with limited testing resources it is understandable.that prioritation of testing went elsewhere.

1 hour ago, tring said:

I agree with your overview, but the football match was between Liverpool and Atletico Madrid, not an Italian team.  However the numbers were taking off in Madrid then and lock down imposed there very soon after.

I apologise my football knowledge is not great I am afraid due to being a supporter of Stoke City in my younger days 🤣

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

So the person in charge of the care home on national TV yesterday who said that 2nd floor of her care home is in complete isolation from the ground and first floor with care home residents who had been discharged from hospital with COVID-19 she must have got it all wrong and been mistaken.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Equally there are some who will never hear anything negative about Boris.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I don't think the problem was following the advice of the scientists - it was following it two weeks too late for it to be effective.  There's very clear evidence now that had we acted two weeks, or even one week sooner (before those major sporting events spread the virus even wider for example) tens of thousands of lives would not have been lost.  We also failed to prevent thousands of care home deaths by sheer negligence.

Why didn't you tell us that 3 weeks before this started ? If WE also failed,does that mean you are part of that decision, or do you mean they ?. In my experience it is always somebody else's fault. Hindsight is a ......,...🤒

Edited by zap99
Punctuation

2 hours ago, tring said:

You shouldn't let the truth spoil a good rant. The skiers in the Spanish dolomites must share the blame.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I suspect that number might be falling somewhat after the latest display of poor judgment.

I suspect you may be right,or wrong depending on hindsight factors.

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Why didn't you tell us that 3 weeks before this started ? If WE also failed,does that mean you are part of that decision, or do you mean they ?. In my experience it is always somebody else's fault. Hindsight is a ......,...🤒

Not hindsight.  All the evidence was there from China, Italy and Spain. We were getting warnings from Italy in particular to act to learn from their mistakes and lock down. 

The Prime Minister chose to ignore the warnings, failed even to attend 5 critical Cobra meetings on the subject,  and concentrated on his colourful personal life instead.  All the facts and relevant dates are well set out in Times articles,  and that's not an anti-Boris paper. 

We acted too late because the PM, like Trump, wasn't up to the job.

• Like 3