How will passenger numbers on future P&O Cruises be reduced?

30 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Not hindsight.  All the evidence was there from China, Italy and Spain. We were getting warnings from Italy in particular to act to learn from their mistakes and lock down. 

The Prime Minister chose to ignore the warnings, failed even to attend 5 critical Cobra meetings on the subject,  and concentrated on his colourful personal life instead.  All the facts and relevant dates are well set out in Times articles,  and that's not an anti-Boris paper. 

We acted too late because the PM, like Trump, wasn't up to the job.

And this is avoiding politics. Why does every thread turn into political rants about the Government, even when it starts by commenting on the title of the thread ? I guess some can't resist.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

This has been denied several times by Boris and his experts, and the numbers discharged from hospital back into care homes fell dramatically at the start of the covid crisis. It has also been denied that no one with covid was ever discharged before being tested.

But some will never believe anything positive about Boris.

I personally know Paulines friends mam was sent back to the care home from hospital before her test result as she looked better.

The next day her result was positive but she was back in the care home.

She died the following day.

This one has certainly moved away from the thread title - but I think they all do and not all of them turn to politics.  Even the How are things where you are has meandered around All Our Yesterdays, names of bread rolls, and regional accents. 😊

The piece a few posts back about how H10 hotels envisage they might resume business was interesting.  It will be way more difficult for cruise ships.  I guess there are a heck of a lot of “blue sky” meetings going on in cruise co HQs.  I wouldn’t want their job.  I just cannot see how cruising can work without a vaccine or simple, effective treatment

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I personally know Paulines friends mam was sent back to the care home from hospital before her test result as she looked better.

My MIL was discharged back to her home just before lock down and she did not have a test.  Even if she had it would not have told anyone if she may have developed it a few days later.  The home kept her "Isolated" from the other residents for two weeks which I understood to be the standard practice then.  Isolated in that sense was by practical measures (presumably like barrier nursing) as she was in the home where others were in their own rooms.

2 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

This one has certainly moved away from the thread title - but I think they all do and not all of them turn to politics.  Even the How are things where you are has meandered around All Our Yesterdays, names of bread rolls, and regional accents. 😊

The piece a few posts back about how H10 hotels envisage they might resume business was interesting.  It will be way more difficult for cruise ships.  I guess there are a heck of a lot of “blue sky” meetings going on in cruise co HQs.  I wouldn’t want their job.  I just cannot see how cruising can work without a vaccine or simple, effective treatment

I have recently received emails from a number of hotel chains detailing there plans for after lockdown. Most involve social distancing and sanitisation. Once we are able to judge, we can consider their procedures and how comfortable we feel with them . If happy we will book, if not we won't. Part of our consideration probably won't involve who drove where to do what, or what a particular posters pet theory is. We have booked a break in Cornwall on the basis of that locations procedures. As you say, there are no doubt many virtual meetings taking place with companies, trade associations and government departments and they are probably dealing with and considering FACTS.

2 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Maybe keep the top deck of cabins free and only use them for isolating people if they become unwell.

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Maybe keep the top deck of cabins free and only use them for isolating people if they become unwell.

We were just checking out prices for Iona August/September. We won't rebook just yet, but prices seem to be a fair bit lower. Upper deck prices did not seem particularly cheap, so maybe their plan is to lock all the sick people in lower deck cabins.

... and all the non-sick people in their own cabins, wherever they are on the ship?

I could (potentially) (just) contemplate a cruise to nowhere, should a case break out after sailing and no port be willing to allow the ship in.  
I couldn’t contemplate being confined to my cabin 24/7, like pax have been, thus far, on all ships with outbreaks

31 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We were just checking out prices for Iona August/September. We won't rebook just yet, but prices seem to be a fair bit lower. Upper deck prices did not seem particularly cheap, so maybe their plan is to lock all the sick people in lower deck cabins.

That was my original thought as the medical centre is down there but so are all the crew quarters etc.

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

That was my original thought as the medical centre is down there but so are all the crew quarters etc.

There won't be a any sick people. It will all be history by the time we go on our rebooked Iona cruise in late August. I wonder if Gary will use his FCC and rebook. He must have a little patience,😁

17 hours ago, grapau27 said:

That clearly went against PHE guidelines at the time, I think we all have to accept that errors and mistakes happen regularly in the NHS, but blaming the experts and politicians for these is not reasonable, but probably seen that way by Boris haters.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That clearly went against PHE guidelines at the time, I think we all have to accept that errors and mistakes happen regularly in the NHS, but blaming the experts and politicians for these is not reasonable, but probably seen that way by Boris haters.

Stating a fact.

The lady was 100 and the care home isolated her straight away but she died next day.

We are Sunderland Brexit Boris supporters but Cummings arrogant selfish attitude and Boris response has set us all back in the fight against covid 19 and has opened a floodgate up here of people resentment of not seeing parents/family,not being able to go to funerals etc.

A local pub on the seafront was open for takeaway drinks last night and the queue was massive.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Stating a fact.

The lady was 100 and the care home isolated her straight away but she died next day.

We are Sunderland Brexit Boris supporters but Cummings arrogant selfish attitude and Boris response has set us all back in the fight against covid 19 and has opened a floodgate up here of people resentment of not seeing parents/family,not being able to go to funerals etc.

A local pub on the seafront was open for takeaway drinks last night and the queue was massive.

Sorry Graham I was not accusing you of misusing the facts, but pointing out in general that blaming all mistakes on government policy, or bad scientific advice is not helping us to stay united in the fight against the virus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Sorry Graham I was not accusing you of misusing the facts, but pointing out in general that blaming all mistakes on government policy, or bad scientific advice is not helping us to stay united in the fight against the virus.

Cheers John.

I have worked from home since the lockdown began and drove for 2 minutes to Morrison's once a week for shopping putting PPE on in-store.

We only started going to the beach 10 minutes drive away after Cummings decided a 60 miles drive was a good test for his eyesight that Gove and Boris agreed with.

Edited by grapau27

46 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Cheers John.

I have worked from home since the lockdown began and drove for 2 minutes to Morrison's once a week for shopping putting PPE on in-store.

We only started going to the beach 10 minutes drive away after Cummings decided a 60 miles drive was a good test for his eyesight that Gove and Boris agreed with.

So you have been influenced by Government advisors. They will be pleased as that is their job. I don't think that P&O will need to do much to reduce numbers as so many say " I won't cruise again ever, unless...........

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, majortom10 said:

It is the politicians who are at fault at the high death rate in the UK they allowed Cheltenham Festival to go ahead with 250000+ people a football match at Liverpool 50000+ people and allowed Italians to fly into this country at free will when they werent allowed to go see their own teams in Italy because the matches had been cancelled. We were also late in going into lockdown and that is down to one person only and that is the Prime Minister.

I know I am a day late coming into this discussion, but I would like to (almost) agree.  The UK was at least a week late going into lockdown.  I recall being alarmed because here in Gib we were already well into lockdown measures and my 90 yr old parents did not seem to be getting the message.  

One of the points being put out by the Govt advisors (cannot recall who) was that going into measures too early would result in lockdown fatigue.  They anticipated that if people were tired of confinement at the height of the outbreak then they might not follow the rules.   In hindsight they can probably see that this was a bad call with sad  consequences  for some.    

In the event probably one of the few people who seems to have not been following the rules was Dominic Cummings.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

It is quite remarkable how vocabulary and terminology is becoming polarised in a way to demonise those with opposing views. I think Boris has made and is making some wrong decisions and I doubt his ability to manage this crisis and take us all with him. That does not mean that I hate him, any more than his supporters hate the leader of the opposition or smaller parties. Disagree, yes; hate, no. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I know I am a day late coming into this discussion, but I would like to (almost) agree.  The UK was at least a week late going into lockdown.  I recall being alarmed because here in Gib we were already well into lockdown measures and my 90 yr old parents did not seem to be getting the message.  

One of the points being put out by the Govt advisors (cannot recall who) was that going into measures too early would result in lockdown fatigue.  They anticipated that if people were tired of confinement at the height of the outbreak then they might not follow the rules.   In hindsight they can probably see that this was a bad call with sad  consequences  for some.    

In the event probably one of the few people who seems to have not been following the rules was Dominic Cummings.  

Not just Cummings. Johnson himself broke the rules by leaving his main home in Downing Street and going to Chequers to recuperate.

One law for them.........

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, pete14 said:

It is quite remarkable how vocabulary and terminology is becoming polarised in a way to demonise those with opposing views. I think Boris has made and is making some wrong decisions and I doubt his ability to manage this crisis and take us all with him. That does not mean that I hate him, any more than his supporters hate the leader of the opposition or smaller parties. Disagree, yes; hate, no. 

Absolutely. It’s not anything to do with hating. Just genuine concern, fear even, at a man with his track record of bad decision making and untruths being trusted with something of this magnitude.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not just Cummings. Johnson himself broke the rules by leaving his main home in Downing Street and going to Chequers to recuperate.

One law for them.........

Not exactly the same thing Harry.

Cummings went from home, while both he and his wife were possibly infected and travelled 260 miles to Durham. 

Boris went from Downing Street to hospital where he thankfully  recovered and then to Chequers to recuperate. 

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Not exactly the same thing Harry.

Cummings went from home, while both he and his wife were possibly infected and travelled 260 miles to Durham. 

Boris went from Downing Street to hospital where he thankfully  recovered and then to Chequers to recuperate. 

Avril 

He didn't break the law. Boring subject.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

So you have been influenced by Government advisors. They will be pleased as that is their job. I don't think that P&O will need to do much to reduce numbers as so many say " I won't cruise again ever, unless...........

I will cruise if the government lifts it's advice on traveling and health reasons.

• Like 1

I had an email from Cafe Rouge a  restaurant chain the other day . It was a survey asking if various things would be acceptable to me. There were things like disposable menus, cutlery being brought to the table in sealed bags. Also everyone would have to book. I’ve also had a National Trust email saying some gardens are opening but you have to pre book. The sad thing about this is it seems we won’t be able to go somewhere on a whim any more, everything will have to be pre booked.

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 1