How will passenger numbers on future P&O Cruises be reduced?

2 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I had an email from Cafe Rouge a  restaurant chain the other day . It was a survey asking if various things would be acceptable to me. There were things like disposable menus, cutlery being brought to the table in sealed bags. Also everyone would have to book. I’ve also had a National Trust email saying some gardens are opening but you have to pre book. The sad thing about this is it seems we won’t be able to go somewhere on a whim any more, everything will have to be pre booked.

These won't be permanent measures. Some day we'll be able to go about our business without worrying whether we'll catch covid. When, who knows? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I had an email from Cafe Rouge a  restaurant chain the other day . It was a survey asking if various things would be acceptable to me. There were things like disposable menus, cutlery being brought to the table in sealed bags. Also everyone would have to book. I’ve also had a National Trust email saying some gardens are opening but you have to pre book. The sad thing about this is it seems we won’t be able to go somewhere on a whim any more, everything will have to be pre booked.

I had the cafe rouge one. Inevitable I guess. That's assuming they are still trading. All the chains seem to be getting their acts together ready for the big day.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 3:55 PM, No pager thank you said:

One of the many unanswered questions from P&O is how they would propose to run cruise ships with reduced capacity, whenever cruises restart. 

Some online articles speak of Carnival thinking of avoiding booking adjacent cabins, or only making cabins with fresh air supply available for customers to book i.e. balconies and suites.

However, anyone wishing to book a cruise at the moment would appear to have unlimited choice of cabin grade and location, if they are prepared to pay. 

Online estimates suggest that more than 1/2 of passengers have taken a FCC and bookings for 2021 are up.  Capacity is said to be limited already on some 2021 sailings as a result.

I can't help but think that some people with long advance bookings, including possibly myself, whether paying with normal cash or FCC bookings, could end up being disappointed, even when cruising starts again in earnest - assuming that the pandemic does eventually come under control with treatment/vaccine.

I would be interested in your thoughts around how you think P&O would deal with an overbooking problem:

Do you think they would:

1) Honour bookings based on the date they were made? (looking after early bookers).

2) Honour bookings based on how much people paid, irrespective of grade (i.e. cheaper bookings get cancelled).

3) Cancel all bookings that are not balconies/suites. (maximize revenue per passenger).

4) Somehow prioritise new cash bookings over FCCs linked to the increasingly telephone based booking system?

5) Something else based on your Loyalty Tier status? (rewarding loyalty)

Or, do you feel that they already have a confirmed plan, which they are not announcing, which is one of the reasons why fares have already gone up?

I think that real availability will need to be taken in to account by those choosing to accept FCCs in the current climate.

Thank you in advance.

If P&O introduce compulsory tipping that should reduce the number by 90% 🤣🤓😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

That's social distancing sorted then. I don't mind giving the staff a few quid if the result is lots of space onboard.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I assumed that part of the reason for pre-booking in, say hairdressers and restaurants, was to do with contact tracing.  You could not contact trace everyone who visited a large garden surely.  Maybe it is to ensure that numbers are kept within socially distancable (I have made up that adjective) parameters.  

But yes, no more whims.  ‘Pre-booked’ will be joining ‘hand sanitiser’, ‘social distancing’ and ‘new normal’ as one of those phrases that we cannot avoid.  

Edited by ollienbertsmum
Punctuation
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I assumed that part of the reason for pre-booking in, say hairdressers and restaurants, was to do with contact tracing.  You could not contact trace everyone who visited a large garden surely.  Maybe it is to ensure that numbers are kept within socially distancable (I have made up that adjective) parameters.  

But yes, no more whims.  ‘Pre-booked’ will be joining ‘hand sanitiser’, ‘social distancing’ and ‘new normal’ as one of those phrases that we cannot avoid.  

I volunteer with English Heritage we are going down the pre-booking route as well, primarily to control numbers visiting a property at one time and to maintain social distancing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

They will have as good supply of words this year for the Oxford English dictionary to select from.

Avril 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I've wondered that as well.  Plus add on all the people who've stated on here and elsewhere that they will never darken PandO's gangway again.  

Freedom dining, table for two, by a window.  Won't need a pager ever again 😂

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I've wondered that as well.  Plus add on all the people who've stated on here and elsewhere that they will never darken PandO's gangway again.  

Freedom dining, table for two, by a window.  Won't need a pager ever again 😂

No queues or social distancing required.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, drsel said:

Dear experts, how does P&O compare with Celebrity, Carnival and Norwegian

I see you've asked that very interesting question in a couple of existing threads - you might be better off creating a separate thread for it, though.

Or waiting to see what happens?

Any responses now will be based on pre-March 2020.  Historical views. (As well as personal opinions based on personal expectations and experience, but that’s always the case)

None of us knows what our own households and own communities will be like in one month, three months, six months, next year, five years hence.  Second-guessing the cruise experience, in general, or on specific lines, feels a bit like trying to guess the lottery numbers for the rest of the year.  It’s ok as social intercourse, something to pass the time, but not anything mere mortals might actually know

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 10:55 PM, Snow Hill said:

I volunteer with English Heritage we are going down the pre-booking route as well, primarily to control numbers visiting a property at one time and to maintain social distancing. 

Even I am 'by appointment' at the moment. 

You can't trust some peoples common sense, so this is the only way to control sensible behaviour, by appointment with a strict agreement in place. 

It's the future... 

Andy 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

A poll reported on the Sky News website this morning

https://news.sky.com/story/after-the-pandemic-britons-think-commuting-to-work-and-holidays-abroad-will-change-significantly-after-coronavirus-11998344

37% or respondents don’t anticipate people will want foreign holidays 😳

So 63% didn't think that😁

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Denarius said:

49% actually. Could I respectfully suggest that you read the article before commenting on it.

I suspect the first answer was correct that 63% didn't think the same as the 37% that did.😏 Even it they didn't all think the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, drsel said:
18 hours ago, zap99 said:
Did before I posted. 100-37=?????

There are some who aren't sure either way

I know. I respectfully suggest you read the words I used😁

• 2 weeks later...