How will you spend the money you are not spending on cruising with Princess?

Loreni

For many, the amount they saved by having their cruise cancelled is far outweighed by the salary they have lost during the coronavirus shutdown. You can't just assume people have extra money. Look at the greatly increased demand for food banks, for example.

• Thanks 2

Nothing planned, but I'm considering switching from Princess/HAL/Celebrity over to Viking.  We love small ships for the feel of actually being at sea.  I think Viking might be better at social distancing and such.

53 minutes ago, HUNKY said:

Nothing planned, but I'm considering switching from Princess/HAL/Celebrity over to Viking.  We love small ships for the feel of actually being at sea.  I think Viking might be better at social distancing and such.

That is the direction we are going in also.....our friends and neighbors love all aspects of Viking River and Ocean cruising.

No matter what we will not be on a Princess cruise again whether they survive or not...

Edited by PrincessLuver

23 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

That is the direction we are going in also.....our friends and neighbors love all aspects of Viking River and Ocean cruising.

No matter what we will not be on a Princess cruise again whether they survive or not...

Look before you leap.  There are many complaints on the internet that Viking isn't issuing refunds according to their stated time schedule either.  Also, I see many complaints where Viking will only issue vouchers instead of refunding cash.

• Like 3

We have our next three extended land trips roughly planned out, each with a backup in case something falls through.  Not even thinking about a cruise or tentatively including one in our plans.  But that could change next year.  Who really knows?

Edited by iancal

7 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

What savings? Princess still has over $12,500 interest free loan from me that I'm worried about loosing.

I think princess should send you, and others in the same situation, a heart-felt mail-merge message

thanking you.

Dear Your-Name-Here...

As we used to say in my formative years ... a simple matter of programming.

After choosing not to buy a new TV year after year in order to save more money for cruises, we finally bought one. The change fees we didn’t have to pay to the airlines when our cruise was canceled paid for the TV. I can’t go anywhere right now, but I can at least watch House Hunters International and Caribbean Life! Other than that, we will be saving our refunded money for our next cruises. I just hope those cruises happen!! 

• Like 2

Something I have been wanting to do for YEARS.  I am upgrading my wedding ring!  It is being custom designed by a talented designer and jeweler.    My original wedding ring is being used in the design with an added 1.27 carat as well as some other diamonds from ring and anniversary ring.  It will be a gold/platinum open loop using gold melted down from 3 rings.  The diamond has been purchased and I met with the designer this morning with some renditions to come.  We have been married 36 years.

• Like 4

Just retired for the second time just before virus hit, was thinking about getting another part time job, mainly to support my travel budget.   If we stop traveling, i am 73 and my dh is 88... then don't need to get another job, right now everything shut down anyway.  I think we will simply stay and home and enjoy life as best we can... enjoy our memories and thank God that we started traveling in the l980s, so we have had a long run.  Visited all the places on our bucket list sometimes more than once or twice... so have no regrets.  Flying has not been much fun for sometime, looks like cruising may be more of a challenge in the future... probably more than we want to deal with anyway.  Living in California where living costs are high, any money we save will just go to daily living costs here.  We have two trips booked now.  One is a flight to Israel non stop from San Fancisco to Tel Aviv Sept 1 and the other is a 10 cruise on the Ruby to Mexico, Feb 2021.  I will remain to be seen where we do either of these trips.  All depends on the virus and travel guidelines.  After that, who knows... grateful we have a good life. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

to all the posters doing home renovations … does this mean that if you had gone on the cruise(s) these home improvements would not have been done ??

We had already scheduled the siding replacement and house painting so it would have happened anyway. As for other items I don't know what we would or wouldn't have done if we were spending the money on cruising this winter. I'm pretty good at saying, "Yes, Dear" to expenditures my wife wants to make. I did balk at the freaking $16k estimate for fixing our (small) front yard. No... freaking... way... I thought the estimate was outrageous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have already spent the money we were saving for the cruise. We bought a new car, a minivan to travel north all together when the quarantine will be over. As I say - if I cant sail, I will drive. I haven't traveled by car in a long time. I think its the best opportunity to check out my state and the country in general. And to check out my new car 

• Like 1

Won't allow myself to even think about it.....was supposed to retire in April,  not now.  Two son's weddings this year,  postponed until...?   Wanted to sell house and move/downsize.....not now.  Not a single trip on the calendar until May 2021.  They just moved California "stay at home" another three months.......can't think past today.

• Like 1

DW & I own several timeshares.  In addition to the resorts we can drive to from home, we can exchange the further ones for more local resorts.  One option I am considering is using the money to upgrade to renting a premium luxury car for the weeks we go away or renting a nice convertible sports car ( or do one on one trip and another on the next trip.) Keeping either a luxury car or sports car generally doesn't fit our lifestyle but renting them might be fun for a change.

2 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Something I have been wanting to do for YEARS.  I am upgrading my wedding ring!  It is being custom designed by a talented designer and jeweler.    My original wedding ring is being used in the design with an added 1.27 carat as well as some other diamonds from ring and anniversary ring.  It will be a gold/platinum open loop using gold melted down from 3 rings.  The diamond has been purchased and I met with the designer this morning with some renditions to come.  We have been married 36 years.

Sounds like something one thousand times more fun that renewing ones vows.

Probably cheaper, too...

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

to all the posters doing home renovations … does this mean that if you had gone on the cruise(s) these home improvements would not have been done ??

That's what I've been wondering.  Oh well, priorities, right?  We LOVE to travel and have put off some yard upgrades at times so I kinda understand.    

7 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Sounds like something one thousand times more fun that renewing ones vows.

Probably cheaper, too...

I am not sure about cheaper, lol, but, I am very happy.  Btw, renewing our vows is also something I have wanted to do for a very long time!