How will you spend the money you are not spending on cruising with Princess?

Loreni

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

to all the posters doing home renovations … does this mean that if you had gone on the cruise(s) these home improvements would not have been done ??

We had to have the roof done, but we may have waited until the fall.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Look before you leap.  There are many complaints on the internet that Viking isn't issuing refunds according to their stated time schedule either.  Also, I see many complaints where Viking will only issue vouchers instead of refunding cash.

My friends had their cruise cancelled by Viking and got their refund in a week.  Not sure why they and their friends got theirs back so soon, but they did.  

For the first time in years we weren’t booked on a cruise this past February or March because we were moving into our new home. That turned out to be lucky!

We do have a cruise booked for February 2021 that we booked last September. I doubt that we will be taking it because of the virus. If we don’t take it the extra money will come in handy for all of the unexpected expenses from the move.

1 hour ago, Level six said:

My friends had their cruise cancelled by Viking and got their refund in a week.  Not sure why they and their friends got theirs back so soon, but they did.  

I'm curious, did they get a voucher or did they actually get the cash?  The complaints I've seen is that Viking has been issuing 125% vouchers that can be converted to cash if the voucher isn't used for two years.  There were also many restrictions placed on the use of those vouchers.

Edited by Daniel A

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I'm curious, did they get a voucher or did they actually get the cash?  The complaints I've seen is that Viking has been issuing 125% vouchers that can be converted to cash if the voucher isn't used for two years.  There were also many restrictions placed on the use of those vouchers.

They got credit to their credit card( so cash) I think.  I will ask again to be sure.  I don't want to give wrong information.  

• Thanks 1

Bought a Tesla and having solar installed.  Enjoying the spring at home but would really like having our 62 days of cruising refunded.

Have rebooked similar cruises for next year.

Edited by kiwimum
Spelling

We haven't really decided what we want to do.  I still want to go on a cruise, but it doesn't look like it will be happening this year.  I haven't gotten any info back on my FCC, and it's been 2 and a half months.  Guess if I know I have it, I'll want to book eventually when the virus is gone or when we have a vaccine. 

I am hoping we can save up and go to Italy to visit family and another Mediterranean cruise.  It's on the radar. Probably won't happen. 

Or we might take a road trip to Sedona.  We did a cross country road trip last year and I am NOT in the mood

for another this soon.  😉  

What I really want to do is get out of the house!! My husband had open heart surgery in Dec. and we've been basically quarantined since then.  Luckily I can work from home, but dang, I need out of here!

• Like 2

We have gone around and around on this.  At first, we felt we just have to be patient but now we feel cruising isn't safe any time soon, nor is air travel.  Since we live in NYC, we want to support theatre, restaurants, museums etc. when the City finally opens up.  We are also planning an Amtrak trip across the country and maybe a houseboat rental in Sausilito.  It breaks my heart because cruising has allowed me to see the world and I truly wanted to continue with that.  And I love those mid winter Caribbean cruises.  Right now, we are just taking a breather and planning other ways to travel.

• Like 4

I've booked a bus trip with a local company for Oct. to the balloon festival in Albuquerque.  I did take their insurance if I'm not comfortable with going.  Small company started by a couple when their small farm struggled, now the son and his wife have taken over.  NE Wisc. (not Green Bay & Brown county) haven't been hit particularly hard but one has to be mindful of other areas of the country.

I'm saving money by having no Visa bill to pay so by the time I cruise, I'll be able to pay in full right off the bat.  My sister and I are trying to support local small restaurants, ordering out a few times a week, at 3 different cafes, all run by husband & wife team.

• Like 2

When we get the refund from our April 4 Sky Princess voyage we will turn it right around for payment on a Nov Caribbean Princess voyage. And we will book a Med cruise on Princess for 2021. 

I am looking into road trips ! Being able to buy a bottle of wine at a store without cutting off a finger sounds appealing..lol I will miss cruising but flying and cruising have lost it's shine from the minute you hit the airport until the minute you leave it on the way home they all have their hand in your pocket it gets old! Jetblue was my favorite airline now they are screwing their card holders going to use my points for somthing than bye bye! I think these company's are screwing themselves! Charging their loyal card holders for bags ..yep you can keep it! Thirty cruises was a good run! Just get in the car and go! Can you believe I live in Western Ma never been to cape Cod,Main, Vermont.

Edited by Reader0108598

We had an 11 day road trip booked in conjunction with a 15 day Hawaii cruise scheduled for March that was cancelled. We've rebooked the same trip for January 2021. In the meantime, if travel restrictions ease up, we plan a 16 day road trip to the East Coast of Canada for late September. Time will tell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dockman said:

Buy CCL stock at $8 to hold for 5 years+.....with a bit of luck sell it then and go on world cruise.

Can you enlightening me how you think in 5 years why it would pay for a world cruise.   There are many more options that require less luck 😉

1 hour ago, Reader0108598 said:

I am looking into road trips ! Being able to buy a bottle of wine at a store without cutting off a finger sounds appealing..lol I will miss cruising but flying and cruising have lost it's shine from the minute you hit the airport until the minute you leave it on the way home they all have their hand in your pocket it gets old! Jetblue was my favorite airline now they are screwing their card holders going to use my points for somthing than bye bye! I think these company's are screwing themselves! Charging their loyal card holders for bags ..yep you can keep it! Thirty cruises was a good run! Just get in the car and go! Can you believe I live in Western Ma never been to cape Cod,Main, Vermont.

What is jet blue doing to their card holders?

2 hours ago, dockman said:

Buy CCL stock at $8 to hold for 5 years+.....with a bit of luck sell it then and go on world cruise.

Buy CCL stock at $8, watch it go BK, buy more stock in restructured company.  Equally likely.

11 minutes ago, npcl said:

Buy CCL stock at $8, watch it go BK, buy more stock in restructured company.  Equally likely.

Everyone has an opinion so I guess we will wait a few years to see whose guess was right.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Can you enlightening me how you think in 5 years why it would pay for a world cruise.   There are many more options that require less luck 😉

Depends on how many shares you bought at 8.20 a share.  If i  had bought more I could sell it today and make $4 a share...multiply that by a few thousand shares and you've already got enough for a world cruise.  If we all knew the future life would perhaps be simpler or for some likely maybe dull or scary.

7 minutes ago, dockman said:

Depends on how many shares you bought at 8.20 a share.  If i  had bought more I could sell it today and make $4 a share...multiply that by a few thousand shares and you've already got enough for a world cruise.  If we all knew the future life would perhaps be simpler or for some likely maybe dull or scary.

Or Amazon at 1000, BeyondMeat at 66, Apple at 250, and on an on an on.  All are positioned well even in the Pandemic.

On 5/12/2020 at 6:57 PM, Daniel A said:

I wonder if timeshare sales will go up.  🤔

Years ago we considered purchasing a timeshare (can't remember where--AZ I think), but ultimately didn't go through with it because we didn't want to be tied down to one place (or other places we could have also accessed).  We are older folks (I'm in my mid-70s and recently deceased DH was in his mid-80s, married over 50 yrs).  And we seemed to have a bit of wanderlust so we continued to travel extensively in US and Canada and then we turned exclusively to cruising (2-3x a year).  Did 51 cruises before DH's health declined.

14 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

Years ago we considered purchasing a timeshare (can't remember where--AZ I think), but ultimately didn't go through with it because we didn't want to be tied down to one place (or other places we could have also accessed).  We are older folks (I'm in my mid-70s and recently deceased DH was in his mid-80s, married over 50 yrs).  And we seemed to have a bit of wanderlust so we continued to travel extensively in US and Canada and then we turned exclusively to cruising (2-3x a year).  Did 51 cruises before DH's health declined.

Not sure how many years ago you considered buying but agree in the back half of life Timeshare has less value proposition.   

Timeshare has changed so much in the decades I own them, there is some truth to the core of their pitch.  I feel like the cruise industry the got a bad name and then morphed, cruiseline are going to need to change radically I think.

The nice thing about our Timeshare was it had places that we wanted or do vacation, or was it the other way around, they places they had became our favorite place to vacation.      Every year we'd leverage our timeshare in both tropic and winter and take one week vacations.   I am sure if we hadn't sunk the meeting it would have been too easy when you are younger, have three kids and juggling crazy schedules you would find excuses NOT to go or take shorter and closer vacations.   The time share forced us to use what we already spent, and as I reflect back they were the most treasured memories of family time. 

I could also say the same about every cruise,  hmm is there a cruiseline time share?   At least I have a few locations domestically but Hawaii and Canada and Mexico locations will be out now.

Edited by chipmaster

Throwing a Memorial Day Weekend Pool Party (10 people as recommended) and buying the good stuff for a shrimp, king crab leg boil and fish fry!!!  Then a 2 week trip to Vegas in June to hang out with the granddaughters!!