Scary Interview with Daniel Humm in June Rolling Stone

markeb

Daniel Humm, as in Eleven Madison Park. Featured in the online version (I'm not sure if it's fire walled, but try here), and will be in the June 20 print version, sitting on what I think is a heating table, or covered stove, in the empty kitchen of one of the Michelin 3-Star restaurants in New York. And questioning its survival.

Sad. I've never eaten there, although its always intrigued me.. I'm a little scared to find if there's a similar story for Le Bernardin, our personal favorite. Really glad we took a weekend in February, and accepted the 10:15 pm reservation, and hoping it's not the last time we'll dine there.

New York City has always been a very resilient place, but this has been just one gut punch after another!

• Like 1

I believe many of our favorite restaurants in nyc will not make it also in many other cities across America. We always stay at michealanglo across the street from Le Bernardin and tried it a couple of years ago because of recommendation on this board . 

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2020 at 4:38 PM, markeb said:

Daniel Humm, as in Eleven Madison Park. Featured in the online version (I'm not sure if it's fire walled, but try here), and will be in the June 20 print version, sitting on what I think is a heating table, or covered stove, in the empty kitchen of one of the Michelin 3-Star restaurants in New York. And questioning its survival.

Sad. I've never eaten there, although its always intrigued me.. I'm a little scared to find if there's a similar story for Le Bernardin, our personal favorite. Really glad we took a weekend in February, and accepted the 10:15 pm reservation, and hoping it's not the last time we'll dine there.

New York City has always been a very resilient place, but this has been just one gut punch after another!

Having lived in NYC for most of my life I have had the opportunity to dine in many of the noted restaurants in Manhattan.However,I have never been to either of the 2 restaurants listed in your post.

The most interesting restaurant I ever dined in was Rao’s.

17 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Rao’s

Rao's strikes me as one of those places I'd love to eat at, but almost certainly never will. From what I've read, even though it certainly could be totally pretentious (10 tables, cash only, almost like a speakeasy in getting in), the food sounds amazing. 

Le Bernardin and Eleven Madison Park are two of the five Michelin 3-star restaurants in New York. Michelin CAN be pretentious, and has its own quirks when rating restaurants. Le Bernardin serves French and French inspired seafood, and has been in Manhattan since 1986. Expensive, elegant, and delicious. It's my favorite restaurant anywhere at this point, and I'm not one to hunt out Michelin starred places. We've been fortunate to dine there a number of times, and have never had anything less than an amazing meal and experience.

So much great food in New York. All price points and super casual to super elegant.  One of those things I love about the city!

• Like 1

Food and restaurants choices are amazing in NYC we did try LeBerardin on last trip it was across the street from the Michealanglo which we always stay at , food was great but spent 400 for a couple of appetizers and a bottle of wine, we can have 4 dinners for two with a bottle of wine in Becco’s for same amount. Looking forward to our next trip which will shortly after Broadway opening whenever that will be . Also so many great pizza places and Jewish delis must always have pizza and pastrami on all visits. 

3 hours ago, markeb said:

Rao's strikes me as one of those places I'd love to eat at, but almost certainly never will. From what I've read, even though it certainly could be totally pretentious (10 tables, cash only, almost like a speakeasy in getting in), the food sounds amazing. 

Le Bernardin and Eleven Madison Park are two of the five Michelin 3-star restaurants in New York. Michelin CAN be pretentious, and has its own quirks when rating restaurants. Le Bernardin serves French and French inspired seafood, and has been in Manhattan since 1986. Expensive, elegant, and delicious. It's my favorite restaurant anywhere at this point, and I'm not one to hunt out Michelin starred places. We've been fortunate to dine there a number of times, and have never had anything less than an amazing meal and experience.

So much great food in New York. All price points and super casual to super elegant.  One of those things I love about the city!

I went to Rao’s in 1998 .The owner of the company I was working for invited me to dine there at his expense with two other employees.We sat at the table of  Frank Pellegrino who was introduced to me as the owner. Tony Sirico one of the actors in Sopranos was also at the table.On the walls were photos of many Italian actors and singers.

Jerry Orbach was at the table closest to us.I felt as though I was in a Godfather movie.

3 hours ago, George C said:

Food and restaurants choices are amazing in NYC we did try LeBerardin on last trip it was across the street from the Michealanglo which we always stay at , food was great but spent 400 for a couple of appetizers and a bottle of wine, we can have 4 dinners for two with a bottle of wine in Becco’s for same amount. Looking forward to our next trip which will shortly after Broadway opening whenever that will be . Also so many great pizza places and Jewish delis must always have pizza and pastrami on all visits. 

There are only a handful of Jewish deli’s still in Manhattan but many great pizza places.

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

There are only a handful of Jewish deli’s still in Manhattan but many great pizza places.

I really was shocked when Carnegie deli and Stage Deli closed they were a few blocks from our hotel and would visit one or the other on every trip , loved seeing them in the background for Woody Allen movies. Plan on trying Katz or second ave deli on next trip.

52 minutes ago, George C said:

I really was shocked when Carnegie deli and Stage Deli closed they were a few blocks from our hotel and would visit one or the other on every trip , loved seeing them in the background for Woody Allen movies. Plan on trying Katz or second ave deli on next trip.

There is also Ben’s Deli on W. 38 St and a deli that has been around about 100 years Fine and Shapiro on W. 72 St.

• Like 1

My son and DIL knew I was missing NY deli so much that they sent me a Father's Day gift box from Katz's. One pound each of brisket, pastrami and corned beef, deli mustard, rye bread and a jar each of full sour and half sour pickles! Plus a Katz's tee shirt...complete with the famous "Send a salami to your boy in the army" saying.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

My son and DIL knew I was missing NY deli so much that they sent me a Father's Day gift box from Katz's. One pound each of brisket, pastrami and corned beef, deli mustard, rye bread and a jar each of full sour and half sour pickles! Plus a Katz's tee shirt...complete with the famous "Send a salami to your boy in the army" saying.

One of our son -in-laws went to a Long Island kosher deli for curbside pick up and delivered it to my wife and I.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Other than avoiding the chains, and probably "Original Ray's", the worst pizza in Manhattan is better than the best pizza most anywhere else (other than Naples!).

Never was into Jewish delis. Grew up in flyover country and we just didn't have anything like that. I like my brisket smoked over oak and mesquite! Preferably from somewhere in a roughly 30 mile circle around Austin (Lockhart, San Marcos, etc.) that George is probably familiar with!

1 minute ago, markeb said:

Other than avoiding the chains, and probably "Original Ray's", the worst pizza in Manhattan is better than the best pizza most anywhere else (other than Naples!).

Never was into Jewish delis. Grew up in flyover country and we just didn't have anything like that. I like my brisket smoked over oak and mesquite! Preferably from somewhere in a roughly 30 mile circle around Austin (Lockhart, San Marcos, etc.) that George is probably familiar with!

George grew up in Brooklyn not too far from where I lived.I believe he is referring to NY Jewish deli’s.

Re pizza.I was in a pizza restaurant in Houston many years ago and they had a sign inside saying that their pizza was just like NYC pizza and it was very good.

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

George grew up in Brooklyn not too far from where I lived.I believe he is referring to NY Jewish deli’s.

Re pizza.I was in a pizza restaurant in Houston many years ago and they had a sign inside saying that their pizza was just like NYC pizza and it was very good.

I knew George was from Brooklyn and I agree those classic NY Jewish delis are what he's referring to. But he's in Dallas now, a couple of hours north of the heart of Texas barbeque!

And like you, I"ve had good pizza all over the country. But outside of Italy, and especially Naples, the "average" in NYC just seems better than the average anywhere else!

I remember watching a really interesting documentary on an international flight talking about the evolution of pizza across Europe and into the US. Their argument was in part that US pizza, and especially NY pizza, is really a unique food that evolved and adapted with Italian immigrants. That would be a great PhD dissertation!

5 minutes ago, markeb said:

I knew George was from Brooklyn and I agree those classic NY Jewish delis are what he's referring to. But he's in Dallas now, a couple of hours north of the heart of Texas barbeque!

And like you, I"ve had good pizza all over the country. But outside of Italy, and especially Naples, the "average" in NYC just seems better than the average anywhere else!

I remember watching a really interesting documentary on an international flight talking about the evolution of pizza across Europe and into the US. Their argument was in part that US pizza, and especially NY pizza, is really a unique food that evolved and adapted with Italian immigrants. That would be a great PhD dissertation!

I agree re the pizza.

Edited by lenquixote66

34 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I've never been to either of the current locations but a million years ago I did eat at the original location on 2nd Ave. 

I began going to deli’s in Brooklyn about 65 years ago.There was one around the corner from where I lived,.A pastrami on rye was $1.10.

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Barbecue and Mexican food are only things better in Texas , I agree that best pizza I ever had was in Naples , we went to see Sophia Lauren speak a few years ago and was able to ask her what her favorite food was her reply was “ I am from Naples so of course my favorite is pizza” , grew up in a Italian family in Brooklyn. Luckily we have a upscale Italian restaurant near us and owner chef and friend is another Sicilian . 

15 hours ago, George C said:

Barbecue and Mexican food are only things better in Texas , I agree that best pizza I ever had was in Naples , we went to see Sophia Lauren speak a few years ago and was able to ask her what her favorite food was her reply was “ I am from Naples so of course my favorite is pizza” , grew up in a Italian family in Brooklyn. Luckily we have a upscale Italian restaurant near us and owner chef and friend is another Sicilian . 

Fifteen years ago I went to visit a friend who had relocated from Brooklyn to Houston.He took me to a Mexican restaurant that he believed was the best he ever went to anywhere in the world.While I thought it was better than any in NY it was far from the best restaurant ever in my opinion.

i have never been to Italy but in my opinion the Italian restaurants in NYC are fantastic.This is also the opinion of many of my friends who were born in Italy and lived there until they moved to NY.

On 7/20/2020 at 5:32 PM, lenquixote66 said:

There is also Ben’s Deli on W. 38 St and a deli that has been around about 100 years Fine and Shapiro on W. 72 St.

Fine & Shapiro has closed. It is being replaced by a place called Pastrami Queen. Ben's on 38th is still open.

1 hour ago, Langoustine said:

Fine & Shapiro has closed. It is being replaced by a place called Pastrami Queen. Ben's on 38th is still open.

When did it close ? I have friends living in Manhattan who were there for Thanksgiving ,2019 and the restaurant website is still active.

Pastrami Queen is on Lexington Ave. Fine and Schapiro is/was on W. 72 St.

2 hours ago, George C said:

There was a pastrami King in kew gardens which was my last residence in nyc that was pretty good. 

2 hours ago, George C said:

There was a pastrami King in kew gardens which was my last residence in nyc that was pretty good. 

I used to go to that Pastrami King .One of my friends lived in Kew Gardens .