12 Metre Regatta America's Cup

Has anyone done this in St. Maarten?  I saw this years ago and said if I ever get to St. Maarten I'd love to do it, but I've read a few things here or there that people have gotten pretty seasick. Is it really that bad or is it like at Disney where almost every ride has the motion sickness warnings on it? 

This will be day 4 of the cruise....we will be there in early December (if that matters with the swells in the bay)....I will be taking Meclazine daily on the cruise because I don't want any problems.  I've never been sick on a cruise ship, just don't want to jinx myself so I always take it in case.  🤪  If it's that intense I will probably choose something else.  Any tips are appreciated. 😀

• 3 weeks later...

Just now seeing this.  My BIL and I did this back in 2012, along with a guy off our roll call.   But all 3 of us are off-shore sailors and I have had 12 meter sailing "experience"--not racing but onboard for practice runs with America 3--a totally different experience from this excursion.  Most of the people with us had little or no sailing experience.  While given "assignments", they mostly just enjoyed the ride.  There are at least 2 "races" between the boats.  On the up wind leg the leeward side can drag in the water if the wind is strong.  But downwind legs  it's pretty smooth.  

You are inside the bay, but I would guess if the water is too choppy, they would cancel.  But this is NOT a leisurely sunset sail type of an excursion.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 1:17 PM, crewsweeper said:

Just now seeing this.  My BIL and I did this back in 2012, along with a guy off our roll call.   But all 3 of us are off-shore sailors and I have had 12 meter sailing "experience"--not racing but onboard for practice runs with America 3--a totally different experience from this excursion.  Most of the people with us had little or no sailing experience.  While given "assignments", they mostly just enjoyed the ride.  There are at least 2 "races" between the boats.  On the up wind leg the leeward side can drag in the water if the wind is strong.  But downwind legs  it's pretty smooth.  

You are inside the bay, but I would guess if the water is too choppy, they would cancel.  But this is NOT a leisurely sunset sail type of an excursion.

Thank you for your information and advice.  I think I'm going to stay with it and see how it goes.  I've watched a bunch of youtube videos of the excursion and it doesn't seem like anything I can't handle.  I will probably pop an extra Bonine just in case if I see that it's extra choppy out there.  Thanks again!

22 hours ago, JerseyGirlJen said:

Thank you for your information and advice.  I think I'm going to stay with it and see how it goes.  I've watched a bunch of youtube videos of the excursion and it doesn't seem like anything I can't handle.  I will probably pop an extra Bonine just in case if I see that it's extra choppy out there.  Thanks again!

Volunteer to be the IceBerg Lookout and then enjoy the ride.

• Haha 1

I have done this on three different occasions.  Highly recommend.  I was the Winch Wench because of past sailing experience.  I have done it on windy days and  a somewhat calm day, every time was a great experience!!  Definitely sign up for it early because it does sell out.  As far as sea sickness, never seen anyone having an issue, I think the exhilaration and Adrenalin  rush overshadow any discomfort

Edited by cruiser61262
  • Thanks 1

I took this excursion with them in Cozumel a few years back.

Someone on our boat did get very sick, right on the boat floor, so it does happen.  The water was was not overly rough. I've done it 3 or 4 times total, and in my opinion, it's not a day for kids or queasy stomachs. 

It cost us the race,  as the Captain had to slow and let the crew clean up. The guy was mortified and no one  was rude to him, but there was plenty of disappointment - it is a race , after all, and does attract some competitive types.

NOTE - the t-shirt upgrade  (if they still do that), will work between islands, I traded in a reggedy St Maarten one for a Coz one. Also other non-active roles include timekeeper and bartender.

Please just don't get sick on the fellow sailors! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruiser61262 said:

I have done this on three different occasions.  Highly recommend.  I was the Winch Wench because of past sailing experience.  I have done it on windy days and  a somewhat calm day, every time was a great experience!!  Definitely sign up for it early because it does sell out.  As far as sea sickness, never seen anyone having an issue, I think the exhilaration and Adrenalin  rush overshadow any discomfort

Thank you!  I'm looking forward to it and will report back when I get home in December. 

3 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I took this excursion with them in Cozumel a few years back.

Someone on our boat did get very sick, right on the boat floor, so it does happen.  The water was was not overly rough. I've done it 3 or 4 times total, and in my opinion, it's not a day for kids or queasy stomachs. 

It cost us the race,  as the Captain had to slow and let the crew clean up. The guy was mortified and no one  was rude to him, but there was plenty of disappointment - it is a race , after all, and does attract some competitive types.

NOTE - the t-shirt upgrade  (if they still do that), will work between islands, I traded in a reggedy St Maarten one for a Coz one. Also other non-active roles include timekeeper and bartender.

Please just don't get sick on the fellow sailors! 

Thanks!  I'm going to make sure I'm all set with Bonine....we're embarking on the cruise on Saturday so I'll be taking a pill each day so by the time I get to St. Maarten I'll have a few days worth in me.  I think I'm going to give it a shot,  but I will keep my fingers crossed for a calm day!  I'll keep my eyes out for the t shirt upgrade too.

• 8 months later...

We did the 12 meter yacht experience in Cozumel and loved it. My wife got to be the start time keeper. I got to be lazy passenger....much older guy with a lot of youngsters. They got the 'hard' work...and you do work. We won our race by about 1-2 meters over the Canadian boat. Our captain said we won it by doing one of the some of best tacts he has ever seen of an amateur  crew...and he meant it. We did have a number of the crew who were experienced sailors. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, baldilocks said:

We did the 12 meter yacht experience in Cozumel and loved it. My wife got to be the start time keeper. I got to be lazy passenger....much older guy with a lot of youngsters. They got the 'hard' work...and you do work. We won our race by about 1-2 meters over the Canadian boat. Our captain said we won it by doing one of the some of best tacts he has ever seen of an amateur  crew...and he meant it. We did have a number of the crew who were experienced sailors. 

Thank you!  Unfortunately the cruise was cancelled, but when I can get a cruise going to St. Maarten again I'm still really interested in doing it, it looks so fun!