Gift Card Refunds?

mbglib

Sorry to start another refund thread, but I am specifically interested in Princess gift cards.  I searched and did not find a thread dedicated to this.

Has anyone received a Princess gift card refund?

The reason I am asking today is I am awaiting a refund of $500 (I know many/most are awaiting much more) that is supposed to be returned on a new gift card, and in reading the Carnival board, I see that several received gift cards today by FedEx.  This made me think/hope that Princess might be sending out some as well.

I would appreciate no snarky remarks as I see on so many other threads, but just factual info on if you have received a Princess gift card refund.

Thank you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mbglib said:

Sorry to start another refund thread, but I am specifically interested in Princess gift cards.  I searched and did not find a thread dedicated to this.

The reason I am asking today is I am awaiting a refund of $500 (I know many/most are awaiting much more) that is supposed to be returned on a new gift card, and in reading the Carnival board, I see that several received gift cards today by FedEx.  This made me think/hope that Princess might be sending out some as well.

I would appreciate no snarky remarks as I see on so many other threads, but just factual info on if you have received a Princess gift card refund.

Thank you.

We are waiting on a GC refund also.  Since Princess cancelled our cruise in March.

• Like 1

My understanding is that if Princess cancelled a cruise, and gift cards were applied to the cruise balance or OBC, they will put the funds back onto your original gift card to be used later. The question for me is, will they also put back $ onto the bonus cards that are now expired. And will they then extend the expiration date? 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Crystabel said:

My understanding is that if Princess cancelled a cruise, and gift cards were applied to the cruise balance or OBC, they will put the funds back onto your original gift card to be used later. The question for me is, will they also put back $ onto the bonus cards that are now expired. And will they then extend the expiration date? 

Thanks.  Funny, I was wondering the same thing about the extension of the expired bonus card.  Hopefully, the value will be extended since it wasn't our fault that the cruise did not happen.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Crystabel said:

I have five of the $50 bonus cards applied as OBC to cruises that aren't going to happen. I contacted Princess Gift Card Services and they have said they will extend the expiration date and return the money to the cards. Time will tell if this actually happens.

========================================

Thank you for contacting Princess Gift Card Support.

We were able to extend your promotional gift cards to Sept 30, 2020, however, at this time, the funds have not yet been credited back to your original gift card.

Given the volume of refund requests, to ensure each guests request is handled accurately and in a coordinated manner, please allow approximately 60 days for refunds to be posted. Please know that all refunds will be processed in due course, but at this time, delays should be anticipated and we are doing everything in our power to expedite where possible.

Once processed, you will be able to apply that as a special service onboard credit to your other reservation.

We greatly appreciate your patience!

Sincerely,

Kim on behalf of

Princess Gift Card Support

======================================

Princess Gift Card support agents  1-855-426-0168
giftcardsupport@princesscruises.com  

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I have five of the $50 bonus cards applied as OBC to cruises that aren't going to happen. I contacted Princess Gift Card Services and they have said they will extend the expiration date and return the money to the cards. Time will tell if this actually happens.

========================================

Thank you for contacting Princess Gift Card Support.

We were able to extend your promotional gift cards to Sept 30, 2020, however, at this time, the funds have not yet been credited back to your original gift card.

Given the volume of refund requests, to ensure each guests request is handled accurately and in a coordinated manner, please allow approximately 60 days for refunds to be posted. Please know that all refunds will be processed in due course, but at this time, delays should be anticipated and we are doing everything in our power to expedite where possible.

Once processed, you will be able to apply that as a special service onboard credit to your other reservation.

Sincerely,

Kim on behalf of

======================================

Princess Gift Card support agents  1-855-426-0168
giftcardsupport@princesscruises.com  

Thanks for the info.  I don't have any bonus cards, but I have been told I will be sent a new gift card to replace the old one.

Hello Mrs. Remy,

I have reviewed your cancelled booking. The refund to the gift card has not been processed.

We have been monitoring the voyages and the refunds. We will issue a replacement gift card

once the credit has been applied.

Sincerely,

Genoveva

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mbglib said:

Thanks for the info.  I don't have any bonus cards, but I have been told I will be sent a new gift card to replace the old one.

I haven't used my "regular" gift cards. I have on $5k in gift cards that are just sitting in a drawer. If our May cruises actually come off I'll use them then. I feel for all those who have a bunch of money invested and are anxiously waiting to see what happens. We have $600 in FCD invested for the cruises that will be cancelled plus the $250 bonus cards. Not much compared to many but $850 is still a fair amount to us. We're not exactly rolling in dough.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 3

I also called Princess regarding a couple of canceled cruises, both with gift cards attached to them.  I wanted to ensure they were not returned to me as FCCs with an expiration date. 

I was assured by one rep down at Princess that they will go back onto my same gift card (e-card) number and pin so, I sure be sure to save those numbers.  I was also told that they would just be sending new cards out as nobody seems to have saved their old numbers.  Hmmm?   Maybe the values on ecards go back onto the same numbers and the plastic ones are returned under a new card?  Two different inquiries, two different answers.   I guess time will tell.  At this point, I would gladly give up the bonus credit that I received just to get a full on refund on my gift card purchases.  There is a link on Princess's website where I can check my balance but, it is anybody's guess when I will ever be able to actually use them.  One thing is for sure, if I get the value back, I certainly won't attach them to a cruise one minute ahead of time.  Looks like I may be waiting months and months to get the value reinstated.  

Cruise Raider, I've also learned my lesson and won't pay off cruises early unless it's paid for with FCC. That goes back immediately on cancelation (even now). Thrak, did they say if we'll get 1 gift card with all amounts or several (I've got 8). Again, 3 different answers

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ombud said:

Cruise Raider, I've also learned my lesson and won't pay off cruises early unless it's paid for with FCC. That goes back immediately on cancelation (even now). Thrak, did they say if we'll get 1 gift card with all amounts or several (I've got 8). Again, 3 different answers

Thanks ... I didn't know that about the FCC.  I hadn't quite paid off the cruise but I did apply a gift card to the balance.  Yep ... big mistake!   But, as mentioned, no more money can leave this house for cruise fare so, if they don't replace my gift card balance for me to apply it to my next booked sailing, I will just cancel.  The longer this goes on .. the less desire I have to book anything more.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ombud said:

Thrak, did they say if we'll get 1 gift card with all amounts or several (I've got 8).

All I have to go on is what I posted from them above. It sounded like they would be replenishing each of the five cards separately. Seems foolish to me. I actually just wanted to transfer the OBC to another cruise but would apparently have to get the TA to do that and the cruises in question are booked through two different TAs so it becomes problematic. I'll either get the cards replenished and then use them on the May cruise or lose the money. It's "bonus" money so it's not really a loss but I'd still like to have them honor the original offer. After all, I bought the five $1k gift cards in order to get the five $50 bonus cards. If not for that offer I wouldn't have bothered buying the regular gift cards in the first place.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Thrak said:

All I have to go on is what I posted from them above. It sounded like they would be replenishing each of the five cards separately. Seems foolish to me. I actually just wanted to transfer the OBC to another cruise but would apparently have to get the TA to do that and the cruises in question are booked through two different TAs so it becomes problematic. I'll either get the cards replenished and then use them on the May cruise or lose the money. It's "bonus" money so it's not really a loss but I'd still like to have them honor the original offer. After all, I bought the five $1k gift cards in order to get the five $50 bonus cards. If not for that offer I wouldn't have bothered buying the regular gift cards in the first place.

I don't believe I will purchase any gift cards in the future ... unless cruising is back in swing and they offer me a 50% bonus.  They may do well to offer a smoking good deal on gift cards right now ... at least they could bring in some much needed cash.  

I know Holland was giving a 10% discount if you paid for your cruise in full.  Again, not enough for me at the present time but, if I wasn't waiting on a few refunds, I might have gone for a deal like that but only if it was offering a much better discount.  

• Like 1

I emailed to ask for them to send it back to me on a new gift card after talking on the phone with a couple of reps. I had used about 12 electronic giftcards and had thousands paid on them. Just crossing my fingers they actually send me a physical card (or two) at some point. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that all that money is gone. 😞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RebeccatheGeek said:

I emailed to ask for them to send it back to me on a new gift card after talking on the phone with a couple of reps. I had used about 12 electronic giftcards and had thousands paid on them. Just crossing my fingers they actually send me a physical card (or two) at some point. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that all that money is gone. 😞

I feel resigned to losing the money too (even though mine is much less than yours), but I hope we are wrong. 

Just checked gift card balances and they are refunded! Cruise was 4/4/20. Picked option 1 on 3/12 but changed to option 2 on 3/19 (did not call - submitted another form and an email requesting the change). Got 50% FCC in April. This morning I had 2 $500 gift cards reloaded. A third one, which had been applied to a July cruise, is still at zero. Nothing yet on credit card account for the remaining balance we paid, but this is hopeful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 5/18/2020 at 7:34 AM, KSH120 said:

Just checked gift card balances and they are refunded! Cruise was 4/4/20. Picked option 1 on 3/12 but changed to option 2 on 3/19 (did not call - submitted another form and an email requesting the change). Got 50% FCC in April. This morning I had 2 $500 gift cards reloaded. A third one, which had been applied to a July cruise, is still at zero. Nothing yet on credit card account for the remaining balance we paid, but this is hopeful.

Great news!  I am surprised to see that they were simply refunded to the card as I have been adamantly told that they wouldn't come back to the original card, but that I would be issued a new card.  Congratulations on getting your refunds!

We also paid for the majority of our cruise with a gift card and when we canceled, we were told the money would be refunded to those cards for the original value of each.  Called back and talked to a different rep and was told we would receive a new card to replace those cards.  Who knows what will actually happen.  We are also preparing to lose the money but its encouraging that some people are seeing refunds!  Maybe there is some hope!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I was told I would get a new gift card to replace the $500 one I used on my cancelled March 7 Grand Princess cruise, I check my account almost daily.

Lo and behold, when I checked today, my existing gift card shows a balance of $500.  I am happy.

Princess has now paid me back everything except $200 FCD and has given me all the promised FCC.

I have a Caribbean Princess Window Suite booked for April 24, 2021...here's hoping we get to go.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 10:55 PM, mbglib said:

Thank you.

Call Princess and ask for the gift card dept.  I did and got a virtual gift card and bonus card immediately.  Have your booking # for the cruise that you were sailing on.

Edited by CanICruiseSoonPlease

12 minutes ago, CanICruiseSoonPlease said:

Call Princess and ask for the gift card dept.  I did and got a virtual gift card and bonus card immediately.  Have your booking # for the cruise that you were sailing on.

I received the $500 back on the original card today!  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2020 at 5:34 AM, KSH120 said:

Did you have to speak with a Princess TA or is there a phone number that we can call to check on our Princess Gift Cards? Ordered them on line and am curious if the amount were re-applied to those 6 gift cards.

Thank you!

I checked the balance on the princess webpage. If you scroll down to the bottom of their main page, there's a "gift cards" link under "ships and experiences". When you get there, there's a "balance inquiry" section.

As an update, we did also get our credit card refund a few days after I noticed the gift cards were refunded, so we're happy with the outcome and will hopefully be able to use our cards and fcc next summer.

Edited by KSH120

Update:  I received an email from gift card support at Princess today that said I would be received a digital gift card in refund of the $500 "in a few days".  I thought this was odd, so I went back and checked the balance on the one that had $500 yesterday and it was back to $0 !

So, frustrated again!

Edited by mbglib