Juneau Harbor Webcam

12 hours ago, Himself said:

It is ^:50 AM in Alaska on this August 1st and a couple of Bears at the water falls.

The old saying "the early bird catches the worm" is replaced by the early bear gets the fish. 

Dinner party.

20200802T024746_1013479.ts.jpg

20200802T025524_1013708.ts.jpg

Edited by geocruiser

10 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Yes.  I saw one a couple weeks ago on the East Glacier Trail, very close to the Mendenhall visitors center.  

I have seen them down by the Gastineau  Channel.  They have been known to be seen on Franklin Street.

Edited by Himself
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Was it a brown bear?  That had to be exciting to see.🐻

Yes.  Brown bear.  And yeah, it was really exciting.  It was a little frightening at first, but she paid us no attention.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geocruiser said:

looks like it is raining in Juneau today. 

Again.  Maybe Juneau is in competition with Ketchikan for the most rainy city in Alaska?  

I see that the Wilderness Adventurer is no longer docked in Juneau.  Have not been able to find out why she was there.  Has she started a series of cruises from Juneau?  Anyone know?  

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I see that the Wilderness Adventurer is no longer docked in Juneau.  Have not been able to find out why she was there.  Has she started a series of cruises from Juneau?  Anyone know?  

They resumed cruises yesterday, embarking in Juneau.  

image.png.09ea8b973058193a506d042c0dbf3b0f.png

Edited by Aquahound

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I hope Wilderness Adventurer is successful.  She was one of my first cruise ships, Blount's Caribbean Prince in 1996.

Roy

100% agree.  While this is a style of cruising that I can no longer endure, her itinerary is a good one and I hope she docks at Icy Point Strait to permit those good people to share their cultural with the ship's guests.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Himself said:

Juneau gets a lot of rain.  Not too many Salmon at the creek right now.  When does the Salmon run end for the season?

Good Question!  I have been wondering that myself.  Surely is a noticeable decrease in salmon watching the web cam this afternoon.

Just saw a bear at the head of the falls catch a fish on the fly, took a bite or two and then lost it.  Not 30 seconds later, the bear caught another fish on the fly and this time moved away from the falls to try to eat it.  Even then, the rushing water almost caused him to loose it, but he did recover the fish.  

There are fewer salmon at the falls in August so the bears go to other streams and rivers in the area where fish spawn earlier than Brooks river.  Once the salmon begin to spawn and die in Brooks River in September many bears will return.  We began watching this webcam a couple of years ago and listened to the ranger talks and learned to identify some of the bears.  Now we just check in now and then.  We had family visiting a few weeks ago and put the webcam up on the big TV for entertainment.  It’s a real icebreaker for conversation!  I especially like to watch the moms and their cubs.  

4 hours ago, Himself said:

Juneau gets a lot of rain.  Not too many Salmon at the creek right now.  When does the Salmon run end for the season?

And the rain in Juneau has been a real eye opener this year!  

51 minutes ago, bellebaby said:

Sheesh.  Can't say I'm surprised.  Considering Alaska still has a mandatory 14 day quarantine for visitors, I was wondering how these cruises were operating to begin with. 

39 minutes ago, Himself said:

'I saw bears near the water falls but no fish.. "Where have the Salmon gone?"

From the National Park Service  "Nearly all sockeye salmon are done migrating into and through the Brooks River by the end of July, but they delay spawning until later in the year"

https://www.nps.gov/katm/learn/photosmultimedia/sockeye-salmon-frequently-asked-questions.htm

22 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Sheesh.  Can't say I'm surprised.  Considering Alaska still has a mandatory 14 day quarantine for visitors, I was wondering how these cruises were operating to begin with. 

It's not a mandatory 14-day quarantine.  It's EITHER that or a COVID test before arrival in Alaska and another one at the airport.  The passenger tested negative prior to departure.  The test at JNU was positive but it took 3 days to get the results.  The protocols Uncruise was using were similar to what is the case on the Alaska ferry system long haul routes.

https://www.uncruise.com/about-us/media/travel-alerts

The same thing could have happened had the person flown to a fishing lodge or anything else.  Time will tell if there was any transmission on the vessel.

Roy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sfocruiser said:

From the National Park Service  "Nearly all sockeye salmon are done migrating into and through the Brooks River by the end of July, but they delay spawning until later in the year"

https://www.nps.gov/katm/learn/photosmultimedia/sockeye-salmon-frequently-asked-questions.htm

Thanks for the information.  Will other species be returning ?